Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Pretty sure that NTC/NMC do not count towards a relocation. Their best bet would be to not resign or to ask for a trade and hope you get it.

SLC wouldn't be bad. I have a brother there and I've been several times for business related things. I could live there. Maybe not in the heart of the city but I have a decent time there.
My point was that players will likely request trades since they couldn't put Utah on their NTCs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The semi exciting part for the new SLC team is that over the next 3 years, they have a gluttony of draft capital. I imagine they'll be adding a top 5 pick this year and next. If they are looking to reset, they picked a good time to do such. This may also attract a bit better management personnel now that they can show stable leadership.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
With more capital and a well run franchise, SLC can duplicate Vegas here. Coyotes were a mis managed franchise and time to move on. I like the move and have been a supporter of getting team in SLC and adding revenue for cap as well.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Looking towards next year.. atleast offensively. I'm not meaning to pull a Sully 'duos' but I'd like the basic concept to be..

X-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-X
DOC-X-Puustinen
X-Eller-Acciari

I really want to be aggressive in moving Smith/Rakell. Especially Raks.. worst case Smith has one year left on his deal. DOC of course can move up. I worry Puusty could fall out of favor. It is what it is this year but we gotta get younger. Idc that the core is older but the cast cannot be. I'd really like to give Yager a long look.. and I'm not going to pretend to know the Jake trade guys but maybe something there. But L1 needs a Guentzel type player.. or Jake himself. L2 could also use a big add. But I wonder if it'd be more beneficial to go after a center and move Geno to wing.. even if its not a big time scorer.. need some defense to help Geno because his legs are just gone. Poulin needs to finally get that chance next year, whether it be L3 or L4. Eller has been splendid but I worry he'll fall off at L3C.. should be fine a L4C. Acciari is meh but miles better than Carts.

and get rid of Jars as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Interesting to note how Sid's line hasn't really slowed down offensively for losing Guentzel but the big problem is they're now one leaky sieve.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Have you been to Salt Lake City? It's a beautiful city but I absolutely would not want to live there. The whole city has a different vibe and way about it. Which isn't surprising considering the majority of the state is Mormon. As a young athlete, what does that have to offer you? Not much at all really compared to other major cities.
Yeah, of all the places to be young, rich, and single, it's pretty low on the list. Salt Lake City is beautiful and there's great skiing and outdoor stuff, but very little nightlife and not really much to do. Be a nice place to retire (or maybe Park City would be, which is close enough) but wouldn't want to live there.

Reactions: Rave7215

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting to note how Sid's line hasn't really slowed down offensively for losing Guentzel but the big problem is they're now one leaky sieve.

In their last 20 games, Crosby has an on-ice 5v5 save% of .8466. I think bad goaltending would explain that more than Crosby's line suddenly being worse defensively.

I know Nedjelkovic is winning games right now, but he really hasn't been playing all that well. They're winning in spite of goaltending for the most part.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
In their last 20 games, Crosby has an on-ice 5v5 save% of .8466. I think bad goaltending would explain that more than Crosby's line suddenly being worse defensively.

I know Nedjelkovic is winning games right now, but he really hasn't been playing all that well. They're winning in spite of goaltending for the most part.
its funny, Last few seasons I would pull exact the same argument for L2, Geno on ice SV% vs. L1 on ice save percentage and it was day and night, no one cared for my argument or there was a counter considering that their defensive work is so poor that the our goalies would be more exposed having tougher chance to make a save. I honestly dread last dozen games everytime L1 gets on ice that unless we score the puck will end in our net...Hockey could sometim be so random....don't care as long as we are roling Ws

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Whether I'd trade Jarry this off-season depends largely on how the Penguins would treat Jarry if they kept him next year. I would be fine with keeping him if the plan is to treat the goalies like a platoon setup, rather than a starter/backup setup like they have done in the past with Jarry. The issue there is finding the 1B goalie to platoon with Jarry that you can afford. Nedjelkovic will likely be too expensive to keep as a 1B and I'm not sure they'd trust Blomqvist in that role yet.

With that being said, if Nedjelkovic is willing to re-sign for like $3 million AAV for 2 years,, I'd just run with Jarry-Nedjelkovic again until Blomqvist is ready. When Blomqvist is ready, you can trade whichever guy makes more sense to trade at that point. But the most important part is that if you're keeping Jarry, I want it to be a platoon situation, not with Jarry as a starter.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Whether I'd trade Jarry this off-season depends largely on how the Penguins would treat Jarry if they kept him next year. I would be fine with keeping him if the plan is to treat the goalies like a platoon setup, rather than a starter/backup setup like they have done in the past with Jarry. The issue there is finding the 1B goalie to platoon with Jarry that you can afford. Nedjelkovic will likely be too expensive to keep as a 1B and I'm not sure they'd trust Blomqvist in that role yet.

With that being said, if Nedjelkovic is willing to re-sign for like $3 million AAV for 2 years,, I'd just run with Jarry-Nedjelkovic again until Blomqvist is ready. When Blomqvist is ready, you can trade whichever guy makes more sense to trade at that point. But the most important part is that if you're keeping Jarry, I want it to be a platoon situation, not with Jarry as a starter.

I'd trade Jarry in an instant for nothing.

Find a player like Lankinen, Wedgewood, Stolarz, Fleury on the cheap and run a goalie tandem for 4.5 - 5 mil.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

They're still worse defensively even by straight xGA. And over the last 29 games, no regular Penguins forwards have worse xGAs than Rust, DOC, and Sid (although funnily enough that exact iteration of the line has a lot better xGA than the three individuals, and is actually a very respectable possession line.

Even if Ned is completely responsible for every goal let in over expected, Sid's line minus Guentzel is suffering defensively. Possibly a case of harder opposition? But in any case, something to consider when talking about future linemates for Sid.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Smith traded at the draft. I am thinking Petts topped put here and has value. I move him and add a LD with more bang. Graves I think used as more of a stay home not pinch as much works better in year 2. POJ is just not good enough. Dubas has 16 million to sign a 3rd LW with grit. a solid 3rd line RW as Puustinen just isn't strong enough to make NHL plays. Maybe a S&C program can add the 6 to 8 pounds he needs. Gruden Dubas likes and I am in the Poulin camp here as 4th line center. Acciari bounces back on 4rg line RW. DOC adds weight as well.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno RR
FA Eller ?
Gruden Poulin Acciari

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Smith traded at the draft. I am thinking Petts topped put here and has value. I move him and add a LD with more bang. Graves I think used as more of a stay home not pinch as much works better in year 2. POJ is just not good enough. Dubas has 16 million to sign a 3rd LW with grit. a solid 3rd line RW as Puustinen just isn't strong enough to make NHL plays. Maybe a S&C program can add the 6 to 8 pounds he needs. Gruden Dubas likes and I am in the Poulin camp here as 4th line center. Acciari bounces back on 4rg line RW. DOC adds weight as well.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno RR
FA Eller ?
Gruden Poulin Acciari
Ponomarev will get a long look next season in training camp. Get a Top six winger in FA and move RR to the 3rd line.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think Dubas did OK in the Jake trade. A decent pick, Bunting who fits what Dubas likes and a couple prospects. I don't think Dubas moves Karlsson and Rust until next off season as Rust has NMC. St Ivany is playing well. He has poise and some bang. RH RD third pairing with Graves. Really no top prospects are ready next year. Yagar needs at least another year. Pickering as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad