Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
An interesting story to follow for this offseason is the Coyotes move to Utah (Swarm?) and how that will influence their roster. I figure that was one part of the NHL's acceptance with the new owner is that he will spend money close to the cap. Plus, I'm sure he will want to build more of a winner.

They have 41mil in cap space and Shea Weber @ 7.8mil for LTIR overcap spending. They don't have a defenseman under contract for next season.....

I think they will want good/decent players but it may be a good spot for say Reilly Smith or if they are willing to take on longer contracts, Rakell, Graves, Jarry.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
An interesting story to follow for this offseason is the Coyotes move to Utah (Swarm?) and how that will influence their roster. I figure that was one part of the NHL's acceptance with the new owner is that he will spend money close to the cap. Plus, I'm sure he will want to build more of a winner.

They have 41mil in cap space and Shea Weber @ 7.8mil for LTIR overcap spending. They don't have a defenseman under contract for next season.....

I think they will want good/decent players but it may be a good spot for say Reilly Smith or if they are willing to take on longer contracts, Rakell, Graves, Jarry.

A team that wants to get to respectability should very much take a hard look at Jarry. He'll bring you from bad to mediocre. But if you're an average team and want to take the next step, Jarry isn't your guy.

Sorta like Mike Tomlin and Mike Sullivan

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
SLC wants to make a splash here and with tons of picks they can draft and really be quite good for years. There are not many goalies out there and Jarry who I think is a good goalie can be moved for prospects and picks. I like Jarry and don't see the contract as a killer but if the brass has lost confidence in him, then he has to go.

MeinerEiner

Dec 9, 2013
Cologne

I think the Pens have a general problem with their goaltending in combination with their defensive system (if they have one).

Bringing back the same coach(es) and goalie won’t change anything. There’s a big change needed and I hope Dubas sees it the same way.

Also pretty disappointing to see that they made no changes at all during the season. No systematic change to the PP or the d zone. They could be fighting for the 1st place in the Metro…

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Dubas doesn't deserve either praise or criticism for the job he has done so far, because he hasn't had a notable impact on the team. The team is basically exactly what it was last year: borderline playoff team that probably falls just short of making the playoffs. Nothing Dubas has done has changed that status of the team.

He has made both good moves and bad moves. I think the Bunting addition has been great, he got a solid return for Guentzel and I think the Karlsson trade was good (even with my issues with Karlsson). I also like the Eller addition. On the other side, the Graves and Acciari deals looks like duds and the Jarry deal isn't much better. They didn't pay a lot for Smith and I think he has been fine for the price they paid, but he's also a guy they likely move on from after this year. This also doesn't touch on the moves he didn't make, namely with the coaching staff.

He's been fine for the Penguins, that's about it. Painfully mediocre, just like everything else with this team.
With the position he was in hard to make more good then bad moves as well.

I still think the Karlsson trade was masterclass. I also think the Guentzel trade was great.

Expansion draft, Jeff Carter, Granlund, Petry, Rutta, Kapanen, Smith...even Sullivan

Hextall took the team from a regular playoff contender to the borderline playoff team we see. Dubas just hasn't been able to boost it back up yet...after one season...

Dubas has good and bad on his resume thus far here but Hextall 1000% deserved to be fired.

I personally would say more good then bad.

I have said it before but Jarry is 100% movable. Goaltending has a lot of problems right now in the NHL and Jarry #s age and contract will get grabbed if available.

I think Graves can be moved in a contract swap.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If reports are true, then Dubas is extremely constrained in exactly what moves he can/can't make.

When it appears that the staff is off limits, along with all of the "core" you really can only prune around the edges and hope there's a homerun somewhere in there.
The "reports" are people guessing. There's nothing legitimate out there that says what Dubas can and can't do. It's all guess work based on Sullivan's extension.

The other aspect is merely NTC/NMC that several players have.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
If reports are true, then Dubas is extremely constrained in exactly what moves he can/can't make.

When it appears that the staff is off limits, along with all of the "core" you really can only prune around the edges and hope there's a homerun somewhere in there.
What reports?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Pixies' obsession with pretending Hextall didn't objectively suck shit at his job, both here and in Philly, will never not be weird. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong; Dubas has been either a pitiful yes man to Sully, a complete doofus, or both. But Hextall probably never works a GM job again in this league, and with how the ol' boy fraternity works with FO/coaching jobs (once you're in, you get work forever if you want it), that's a rare accomplishment of ineptitude.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Pixies' obsession with pretending Hextall didn't objectively suck shit at his job, both here and in Philly, will never not be weird. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong; Dubas has been either a pitiful yes man to Sully, a complete doofus, or both. But Hextall probably never works a GM job again in this league, and with how the ol' boy fraternity works with FO/coaching jobs (once you're in, you get work forever if you want it), that's a rare accomplishment of ineptitude.

Flyers best players are all Hextall draft pieces.

Hextall deserved to be fired. Just find it funny people think Dubas gets anything besides an F this year.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Sully/Reirden have been the problem. With even a 20th ranked PP, the pens are firmly in a playoff spot this season. And less dependence on scrub ass bottom 6 guys that have 0 production.

Just screams coaching to me. I love EK and wanted Bunting this past offseason. So I can’t complain about those deals.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Probably because Hextall took a 105 point team and ran them into the ground, while Dubas has just not improved a team that Hextall ran into the ground.

1713206898900.png

Don't see any 105 point teams here?

The Penguins largely went from 103 to 91 due to their goaltender being injured in 22-23.

The goaltender that Kyle Dubas gave a 5 mil x 5 year contract too who has now lost his job (as anyone with a brain could've predicted).

We also are going to finish behind last year's Hextall team when we had over 20+ million dollars to spend and returned virtually the same roster minus Rutta and Petry and adding in EK65 and Graves.

Dubas has done a shit job and once again it's weird how people are defending him because Hextall did a shit job.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Expansion draft, Jeff Carter, Granlund, Petry, Rutta, Kapanen, Smith...even Sullivan

Hextall took the team from a regular playoff contender to the borderline playoff team we see. Dubas just hasn't been able to boost it back up yet...after one season...

Dubas has good and bad on his resume thus far here but Hextall 1000% deserved to be fired.

Great job? He didn't last summer.
Graves was a bad move.

EK has not panned out but did anybody at the time not like it? He also got rid of Petry and Granlund, many wanted run out of town.

Eller surprisingly enough has been a solid pick up.

Smith, underwhelming, but not a bust.

And then there's the JG trade, Bunting has been tremendous thus far, is younger than Jake and signed for two more seasons. Koivunen is killing it in Finland and improved Leaps and bounds from last season, nearly doubling his PPG total in the process. We got a late 1st or mid 2hd in that deal this summer, Pomo is injured but is a promising depth player very likely to be a reg here next season. and not sure about Cruz but overall excellent value.

1ST ROUND PICK Brayden Yager on a heater, has 26 points (9 G 17 A) over his last 10 games in junior including some playoff games. He also made a good account of himself at the WJC. 5TH Round PK Ilyin has had a very good season himself. There's promise there.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

No, he didn't. The Penguins would've potentially missed the playoffs in 19-20 if COVID didn't shut the season down.

Nobody said Hextall didn't deserve to be fired.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The "the Penguins fell off in 2022-2023 because Jarry was injured" take is legitimately one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen on this website. The team combined to have a .907 save%, +6.9 GSAA and +1.2 GSAx between Jarry, DeSmith and Tokarski.

Want to know the actual reason why the team fell off a cliff? Because this team was outscored 49-71 at 5v5 when Crosby and Malkin weren't on the ice, which happened because Hextall absolutely slaughtered the depth that he inherited from JR.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Something many here aren't considering. Sully, Geno, Letang and Sid are here and there's nothing Kyle can do about it. Which is why he can't be taken to task for Sullivan. HEXTALL signed him to that long ass extension , NOT Dubas. PPL need to understand that.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Graves was a bad move.

EK has not panned out but did anybody at the time not like it? He also got rid of Petry and Granlund, many wanted run out of town.

Eller surprisingly enough has been a solid pick up.

Smith, underwhelming, but not a bust.

And then there's the JG trade, Bunting has been tremendous thus far, is younger than Jake and signed for two more seasons. Koivunen is killing it in Finland and improved Leaps and bounds from last season, nearly doubling his PPG total in the process. We got a late 1st or mid 2hd in that deal this summer, Pomo is injured but is a promising depth player very likely to be a reg here next season. and not sure about Cruz but overall excellent value.

1ST ROUND PICK Brayden Yager on a heater, has 26 points (9 G 17 A) over his last 10 games in junior including some playoff games. He also made a good account of himself at the WJC. 5TH Round PK Ilyin has had a very good season himself. There's promise there.

On paper (anything else is hindsight), the only thing Dubas can be questioned on would be the Jarry signing at such a length of 5 years.

Graves/Eller/Accari/Smith/EK - all were generally well received on here

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The "the Penguins fell off in 2022-2023 because Jarry was injured" take is legitimately one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen on this website. The team combined to have a .907 save%, +6.9 GSAA and +1.2 GSAx between Jarry, DeSmith and Tokarski.

Want to know the actual reason why the team fell off a cliff? Because this team was outscored 49-71 at 5v5 when Crosby and Malkin weren't on the ice, which happened because Hextall absolutely slaughtered the depth that he inherited from JR.
17-18. 57-72.
18-19. 58-62.
19-20. 68-69.
20-21. 66 - 48
21-22. 102-90.
23-24 49-71
23-24. 45-53 currently.

Weird how the team after expansion that Ron Hextall took over and built has the 2nd best GF-GA in the last 7 years without Crosby or Malkin.

(I assume most of this is because Sid and / or Malkin were hurt in both seasons inflating the numbers.)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
On paper (anything else is hindsight), the only thing Dubas can be questioned on would be the Jarry signing at such a length of 5 years.

Graves/Eller/Accari/Smith/EK - all were generally well received on here
I just see the trade for Jake as a potential move that helps start the rebuild. There's a couple pieces in there I really like. And Bunting as I've stated several times is an absolute Stud out there.

I mean, technically they did miss the playoffs because they lost in the qualifying round.

We lost 8 of 11 heading into 3/10.
Yeah, that was an absolute collapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad