Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
LOL, Kapanen would not be better than Carter.

Carter sucks. He has 10 goals this season playing exclusively in the bottom six.

Kapanen has been in the Blues' top six most of the year, until recently being pushed down the lineup and eventually healthy scratched.

He has five goals.

Five.

That's one more than Noel Acciari.

There is a good chance neither Kapanen nor Carter are in the NHL next year, but it'll be by choice for Carter.
Kapanen will be in the NHL next season, he just won’t be making three million dollars a year. One team will give him a one year contract. Let’s just hope Dubas doesn’t resign Carter.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
So with that OT win we have 1 point on the Wings.

Wings - Leafs Canadiens Canadiens- 85

Pens - Bruins Predators Islanders - 86

Caps - lightning Bruins flyers -85

It seems the Islanders have ran away with most likely taking the 3rd seed in the Metro so it's A 3 way race.

We hold the tiebreaker between Wings and caps. So 5/6 points guarantees playoffs this season. Every combined point loss caps or Wings get is another point we can drop by. 4/6 is my guess what we will need.

Detroit will have to face the Habs while they are winning games so hopefully they keep it up.

Capitals I think will get 2 points from the Flyers.

Tight.
Rangers more than likely will play Islanders hard because they are in a race with Dallas for President's Trophy and also with Boston/Carolina for seeding in East.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kapanen will be in the NHL next season, he just won’t be making three million dollars a year. One team will give him a one year contract. Let’s just hope Dubas doesn’t resign Carter.
Kapanen likely will be because of age and his still NHL level ability. Carter no longer has NHL ability at his advanced age that makes sense to pay for over developing a young guy.

If you ask me though what would I prefer:

Smith-Eller-Kapanen
Bemstrom-Gruden-Puljujarvi

of

Smith-Eller-Puustinen
Bemstrom-Carter-Puljujarvi

I'm taking the former.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It will be interesting to see what they think of Puustinen. I think more likely than not, he's Simon 2.0. Effective player but is not going to produce at a top 6 level reliably. I question his usefulness in the bottom 6 as well but I'm not opposed to it if they get an offensive minded 3C.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It will be interesting to see what they think of Puustinen. I think more likely than not, he's Simon 2.0. Effective player but is not going to produce at a top 6 level reliably. I question his usefulness in the bottom 6 as well but I'm not opposed to it if they get an offensive minded 3C.
I think we should give Pus a little more time. He's produced good when given the chance.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think we should give Pus a little more time. He's produced good when given the chance.
In the top 6, yes but if he starts in the bottom 6, how do we feel? With injuries, 100% run him with Geno. Or rework the lines a bit to spread the wealth:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Puustinen
Smith-Pono-Rakell
Poulin-Eller-Puljujarvi

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I know what I think of Puustinen, not much!:thumbd:

In the top 6, yes but if he starts in the bottom 6, how do we feel? With injuries, 100% run him with Geno. Or rework the lines a bit to spread the wealth:

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Puustinen
Smith-Pono-Rakell
Poulin-Eller-Puljujarvi
Poulin isn't an NHLer, it's time we all accept that.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Puustinen
Smith-Pono-Rakell
Poulin-Eller-Puljujarvi
I just wanna give him more time (including more ice time).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be trying to trade Rakell and acquire a really good RWer to play with Malkin and Bunting. Keep the 1st line (O'Connor-Crosby-Rust) and 3rd line (Smith-Eller-Puustinen) together while leaving opportunities for other young guys to take roster spots and possibly push some of their top-9 guys down.

O'Connor is obviously not 1st line caliber, but O'Connor-Crosby-Rust seems to be working really well and you should take advantage of situations like O'Connor and Crosby meshing well. Running with O'Connor on L1 opens up a ton of money for you to use elsewhere, namely on Malkin's RW.

I doubt Reinhart leaves Florida or the Penguins bring back Cole, but they should be shooting for something like this to start next year:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Reinhart
Smith-Eller-Puustinen
Poulin-Acciari-Puljujarvi
Nieto-Bemstrom

Pettersson-Karlsson
Cole-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany
Ludvig

Jarry-Blomqvist

While giving guys like Ponomarev, Koivunen, Yager and Pickering chances at pushing guys out of the lineup or down in the lineup.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Smith has to go in a draft day deal. Pens have 17 million in cap space to sign a winger. I keep Rakell as hit two way play and he brings a good all around game to the ice. No way Reinhart leaves Florida. But a LW with size and grit for the 3rd line is a need. then go from there one more year.
DOC Sid Rust
Bunting Geno RR
? Eller Puustinen
Gruden Poulin Acciari

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think goes to another team and has a great career.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd be trying to trade Rakell and acquire a really good RWer to play with Malkin and Bunting. Keep the 1st line (O'Connor-Crosby-Rust) and 3rd line (Smith-Eller-Puustinen) together while leaving opportunities for other young guys to take roster spots and possibly push some of their top-9 guys down.

O'Connor is obviously not 1st line caliber, but O'Connor-Crosby-Rust seems to be working really well and you should take advantage of situations like O'Connor and Crosby meshing well. Running with O'Connor on L1 opens up a ton of money for you to use elsewhere, namely on Malkin's RW.

I doubt Reinhart leaves Florida or the Penguins bring back Cole, but they should be shooting for something like this to start next year:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Reinhart
Smith-Eller-Puustinen
Poulin-Acciari-Puljujarvi
Nieto-Bemstrom

Pettersson-Karlsson
Cole-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany
Ludvig

Jarry-Blomqvist

While giving guys like Ponomarev, Koivunen, Yager and Pickering chances at pushing guys out of the lineup or down in the lineup.
I wish we could find a way to get Martin Necas here. I think he'd be a great RW for Malkin. If they must go the FA route AND they are willing to part ways with Sullivan, I would be knocking on Daniel Sprong's door. He is exactly what that line needs. But it may depend on who we get back for Rakell. I thought he'd go well in Seattle if Eberle didn't resign. Minnesota could also use another good top 6 wing. Detroit could be another if Patty Kane doesn't return.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wish we could find a way to get Martin Necas here. I think he'd be a great RW for Malkin. If they must go the FA route AND they are willing to part ways with Sullivan, I would be knocking on Daniel Sprong's door. He is exactly what that line needs. But it may depend on who we get back for Rakell. I thought he'd go well in Seattle if Eberle didn't resign. Minnesota could also use another good top 6 wing. Detroit could be another if Patty Kane doesn't return.

You mean the guy who turned the puck over to Carter here?

Sprong sucks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
EK can provide clips of two turnovers leading to goals.

I did preface that with "if they HAVE to go to FA".

The difference is EK outweighs those mistakes mostly, while I don't think Sprong does. If they'd be signing someone on par with Sprong in free agency, they're better off just keeping Rakell.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'll probably change my tune if it does end up happening, but I've firmly gotten to the point of just not wanting to bring back Guentzel unless it's for a super team friendly deal (like $8 million AAV at most). I do not like how Sullivan was using him and I really do not want to bring him back just to use him exactly like he was using him before.

I'd be a lot more inclined to bring him back if they would use him with Malkin, but everyone knows they wouldn't do that. I would never shit talk his ability and I think he has shown this year that he's capable of driving play, but this team would just default into putting him back on Crosby's LW and a net front guy on the PP and nothing would change from how it has gone the past few years. Malkin needs a guy of that caliber far more than Crosby does, and bringing back Guentzel would just guarantee that Malkin doesn't get that guy.

Beyond Reinhart, who I think probably stays in Florida anyway, there really isn't much in the FA class that is particularly enticing. Marchessault is interesting, but the Smith experiment makes me far less interested in going after ex-Vegas players. There's also Stamkos but assuming Stamkos will leave Tampa Bay just feels wrong. I think Dubas will likely have to look at the trade route to get another top-6 winger, especially with needing to clear out either Smith or Rakell (or both) to be able to add that.

The other option you have is to stick with Bunting-Malkin-Rakell as the 2nd line and ship out Smith, with trying to acquire a LW to push O'Connor to L3 or just to carry L3 in general. I actually don't mind the idea of targeting Zucker with that kind of move and running with:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Eller-Puustinen

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Yup, jake gotta be real cheap (which i don't expect and he probably should just go make his money on his final contract), and even then, kinda okay with changing the upfront identity of the team

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yup, jake gotta be real cheap (which i don't expect and he probably should just go make his money on his final contract), and even then, kinda okay with changing the upfront identity of the team

After seeing the energy impact a guy like Bunting can have on this team, I want any sort of winger additions to be that. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a speedy guy, but you want grinders who go to the dirty areas, always play at 110% and just amps up the team.

In free agency this year, I think Zucker and Bertuzzi both stand out with that. Neither are having that great of years, though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'll probably change my tune if it does end up happening, but I've firmly gotten to the point of just not wanting to bring back Guentzel unless it's for a super team friendly deal (like $8 million AAV at most). I do not like how Sullivan was using him and I really do not want to bring him back just to use him exactly like he was using him before.

I'd be a lot more inclined to bring him back if they would use him with Malkin, but everyone knows they wouldn't do that. I would never shit talk his ability and I think he has shown this year that he's capable of driving play, but this team would just default into putting him back on Crosby's LW and a net front guy on the PP and nothing would change from how it has gone the past few years. Malkin needs a guy of that caliber far more than Crosby does, and bringing back Guentzel would just guarantee that Malkin doesn't get that guy.

Beyond Reinhart, who I think probably stays in Florida anyway, there really isn't much in the FA class that is particularly enticing. Marchessault is interesting, but the Smith experiment makes me far less interested in going after ex-Vegas players. There's also Stamkos but assuming Stamkos will leave Tampa Bay just feels wrong. I think Dubas will likely have to look at the trade route to get another top-6 winger, especially with needing to clear out either Smith or Rakell (or both) to be able to add that.

The other option you have is to stick with Bunting-Malkin-Rakell as the 2nd line and ship out Smith, with trying to acquire a LW to push O'Connor to L3 or just to carry L3 in general. I actually don't mind the idea of targeting Zucker with that kind of move and running with:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Zucker-Eller-Puustinen

Stephenson would be an interesting player with Sid.

I'd also target Trenin. I think you can sign both for around 10ish mil.

Reactions: Shady Machine

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Wondering what Marner would cost this Summer with 1 year left and the NMC.

Also wondering how much he'll cost in UFA should he reach it.

He's my target #1 and it's not even close among any player in the league that's 'available' or hypothetically available.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad