Salary Cap: Pens Salary Cap Thread: Dr Strangedubas "Tankination" is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's wild because Occam's razor suggests that Carter plays a lot because Sullivan likes how Carter plays, simple as that.
Yeah, I think trying to find the "deeper meaning" behind why Carter plays so much ignores the most obvious answer: because Sullivan wants to play him in those situations.

At this stage of his career, Carter isn't any more reliable or better defensively than pretty much ANYONE they trot out in the bottom six. He's simply too slow/old to be effective. So it's not that they don't have better options, it's that Sullivan doesn't see anyone as better options because of his infatuation with certain players.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I think trying to find the "deeper meaning" behind why Carter plays so much ignores the most obvious answer: because Sullivan wants to play him in those situations.

At this stage of his career, Carter isn't any more reliable or better defensively than pretty much ANYONE they trot out in the bottom six. He's simply too slow/old to be effective. So it's not that they don't have better options, it's that Sullivan doesn't see anyone as better options because of his infatuation with certain players.
It was fun seeing Carter get beat backdoor on the leafs first goal the other night.
And by fun I mean.. not fun.
The roster is far from perfect but Carter is near unplayable at this point. And not only is he overplayed.. he gets important minutes.

Reactions: Andy99 and Sideline

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There are three Pittsburgh truths as it pertains to our sports teams:

1. Sidney Crosby is a good hockey player, no debate need to be had
2. Bob Nutting is a cheapskate, again no debate
3. Sullivan won't be fired anytime soon. No debate

KNOW these truths, study them carefully.

• Haha
Reactions: Coastal Kev

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Another good example would be riding McGinn-Carter-Kapanen into the f***ing ground until Hextall waived Kapanen. Kapanen would be a great bottom 6 wing to have right now instead of the corpse of Carter. Another Hextall dandy decision.
LOL, Kapanen would not be better than Carter.

Carter sucks. He has 10 goals this season playing exclusively in the bottom six.

Kapanen has been in the Blues' top six most of the year, until recently being pushed down the lineup and eventually healthy scratched.

He has five goals.

Five.

That's one more than Noel Acciari.

There is a good chance neither Kapanen nor Carter are in the NHL next year, but it'll be by choice for Carter.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd like us to target Lindholm in the offseason.

Coming off a down year we might be able to get him on a short term deal for around 6 mil per. Help at PP, PK, and ES.

Re-sign Ned. Trade Smith, Graves, Jarry, and Acciari in order to gain cap space and rebuild the depth. Need more youth, size, and grit in complementary roles. We're far too easy to play against.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I am legit fearful that JC is resigned by this team. Like it wouldn't surprise me, but it'd infuriate me

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Carter sucks. He has 10 goals this season playing exclusively in the bottom six.

Kapanen has been in the Blues' top six most of the year, until recently being pushed down the lineup and eventually healthy scratched.

He has five goals.

Five.

There is a good chance neither Kapanen nor Carter are in the NHL next year, but it'll be by choice for Carter.
It's pretty amazing that the Pens are even remotely competitive given that Rutherford traded three #1 draft choices AND a really nice goaltender for:

• Kasperi Kapanen
  • Ryan Reaves
  • Derrick Brassard
Shit like that is hard to overcome, even if JR was more good than bad.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
So with that OT win we have 1 point on the Wings.

Wings - Leafs Canadiens Canadiens- 85

Pens - Bruins Predators Islanders - 86

Caps - lightning Bruins flyers -85

It seems the Islanders have ran away with most likely taking the 3rd seed in the Metro so it's A 3 way race.

We hold the tiebreaker between Wings and caps. So 5/6 points guarantees playoffs this season. Every combined point loss caps or Wings get is another point we can drop by. 4/6 is my guess what we will need.

Detroit will have to face the Habs while they are winning games so hopefully they keep it up.

Capitals I think will get 2 points from the Flyers.

Tight.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
So with that OT win we have 1 point on the Wings.

Wings - Leafs Canadiens Canadiens- 85

Pens - Bruins Predators Islanders - 86

Caps - lightning Bruins flyers -85

It seems the Islanders have ran away with most likely taking the 3rd seed in the Metro so it's A 3 way race.

We hold the tiebreaker between Wings and caps. So 5/6 points guarantees playoffs this season. Every combined point loss caps or Wings get is another point we can drop by. 4/6 is my guess what we will need.

Detroit will have to face the Habs while they are winning games so hopefully they keep it up.

Capitals I think will get 2 points from the Flyers.

Tight.
I don't think that's true. If they lose in MSG tomorrow and we get at least one point, we will be playing for Metro3 in G82.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I don't think that's true. If they lose in MSG tomorrow and we get at least one point, we will be playing for Metro3 in G82.

True a very small chance.

Just that they have been winning a ton 6 in a row and 3 points on us. I suppose if they lose and we win then The game against them could change the standings. I just see 3 points and see a hard hill to climb.

Reactions: Andy99

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

That's not true. You are forgetting Game 81 for both teams.

Welp. It’s official. The 2024 first round pick will go to San Jose.

And I'm an idiot. When I made this statement I forgot there is a thing called the NHL draft lottery and that even if the Pens can't finish 10th or below in the final standings, they can win the lottery and move up ten places if they don't make the playoffs.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Just like Goalies, theres very few good coaches in the league. For most you need to use them for a couple years and toss them away. Keeping Sullivan around is the equivalent of having kept Murray around. He had 2-3 good years but hasn't been NHL caliber since.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If Pens miss the playoffs then yes a lottery draft can move them into the top 10. But beating the Bruins and Preds at home will make it hard to miss them. Draft may not be deep but there are a number of RD prospects I like. that is what I want to see if Pens say finish in top 10. Plus as I think Dubas will move contracts after next season for prospects and picks, Pens will have draft picks to use then.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

He has five goals.

Five.

YOU don't get it. Kap has elite speed, he puts pressure on all over the ice. When Carter isn't scoring, he's behind the play loafing or slowing. WAKE UP

• Haha
Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Just like Goalies, theres very few good coaches in the league. For most you need to use them for a couple years and toss them away. Keeping Sullivan around is the equivalent of having kept Murray around. He had 2-3 good years but hasn't been NHL caliber since.

Hope Murray is doing well. Kid was so damn good and really just...consistent more than anything...when we needed that most.

He got cups, got paid. Doing better than most. But when you're an athlete it's tough to just fade away like that.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Our current GM tried to keep Murray around.🤔

Reactions: BusinessGoose

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The thing about coaching is you don't need the best coach, you just need the right coach for your roster at the right time. Sully/Bylsma was the right coach for the roster at the right time, then they weren't. Should have a new coach every 2-3 years.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

That Isles/Rags game is gonna be a bloodbath considering how the last game ended. Expect a fight off the draw. Love it!

The thing about coaching is you don't need the best coach, you just need the right coach for your roster at the right time. Sully/Bylsma was the right coach for the roster at the right time, then they weren't. Should have a new coach every 2-3 years.

Please sticky this post. Even simpletons can understand these sentences...

• Love
Reactions: 66-30-33

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Even if you didn't win the cup, could have been the right move for the team moving forward. Look at the Oilers? fired their coach, been pretty good since. Might not always work as we have seen from teams this season, but it also could work.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Going to be funny when FSG stays with Mikey Boy Sullivan next year after this little hot run. We are going to see a return of sh*t play at the start of next season. Dubus isn't going to be able to turnover the team as much as most of the goobers on the board want. I expect we might even be the doofus team that's stupid enough to give Jake Guentzel one big ass expensive, long contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad