Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Dubas used draft picks to dump a bloated Patrick Marleau contract on Carolina. A buyout of a very overpaid but still somewhat serviceable Mikael Granlund never made sense.

His comments on weaponizing cap space to pursue players on teams up against the cap is intriguing and smart.

And you always overpay in free agency. Going after one or two big fish in this free agency class is a poor usage of the cap space. Improving depth and trying to target guys who may outplay their contract is the better way. He has a history of doing that with Bunting being the most recent example.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I like how Dubas is saying nothing crazy at all, but it's such a stark contrast with Hextall that people are amazed with it :laugh:

But yeah, really hard to disagree with anything he said there. It seems like Dubas views replacing Dumoulin as much more important than I would have though. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if that could mean anything for POJ or Smith.

I would much rather Dubas try to go out and take advantage of teams via trade than go into the free agency market as well. Not only are the players via trade likely better than the UFA options, but their contracts will almost assuredly be less bad than what a UFA contract would look like. That also gives me hardcore Ullmark vibes for who he could be targeting to play goalie for them.

The only thing I'm unsure of is how he plans on getting rid of Granlund if a buyout and their top prospect and pick aren't on the table. Would maybe 2 future 2nds cut it? Maybe like a 2024 2nd and a 2026 2nd to get out of his deal?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I mean he’s making it sound like he’s not going to be bold at all…Im not in favor of paying big money for FAs either but we have the space to be a contender…thinking that Sid and G are going to be healthy again and carrying the load they couldnt carry last season seems like a huge mistake…hopefully this for consumption by other GMs and agents

I mean it's basically just repeating the same shit Hextall said. "We want to compete but also magically keep all our assets. We need to add talent but also magically only if it comes cheap."

But the important thing of course is what he actually goes out and does. GMs just repeat the same basic press conference script over and over for public consumption... like you said.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I like how Dubas is saying nothing crazy at all, but it's such a stark contrast with Hextall that people are amazed with it :laugh:

But yeah, really hard to disagree with anything he said there. It seems like Dubas views replacing Dumoulin as much more important than I would have though. Just thinking out loud, I wonder if that could mean anything for POJ or Smith.

I would much rather Dubas try to go out and take advantage of teams via trade than go into the free agency market as well. Not only are the players via trade likely better than the UFA options, but their contracts will almost assuredly be less bad than what a UFA contract would look like. That also gives me hardcore Ullmark vibes for who he could be targeting to play goalie for them.

The only thing I'm unsure of is how he plans on getting rid of Granlund if a buyout and their top prospect and pick aren't on the table. Would maybe 2 future 2nds cut it? Maybe like a 2024 2nd and a 2026 2nd to get out of his deal?

Everything he said seems like what Hextall said lol

Reactions: Andy99

Epic Neal Time

Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
This is a smart approach to FA. Going to get a Barbashev or Bunting for 6x6 and handing them a top-6 spot doesn't do as much for this team as you'd think.

Making some small bets (Pacioretty/Phillips/Wood/Brown/etc.) results in competition for the spots, which is both attractive to players and a good way to build some fire in the team.

I'd still like to see at least one surefire significant add via trade though, particularly in net or on D (Hanafin/Ullmark?)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is a smart approach to FA. Going to get a Barbashev or Bunting for 6x6 and handing them a top-6 spot doesn't do as much for this team as you'd think.

Making some small bets (Pacioretty/Phillips/Wood/Brown/etc.) results in competition for the spots, which is both attractive to players and a good way to build some fire in the team.

I'd still like to see at least one surefire significant add via trade though, particularly in net or on D (Hanafin/Ullmark?)
i mean if you think all you need is depth pieces that’s very true…I would argue Sid and G need a lot more help than who you’re suggesting…we need a winger who can carry play and finish…we’re not going to contend thinking this is 2012 and Sid and G will be fine with Tangradi on their wing

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not spending a bunch in free agency doesn't really mean a whole bunch as to whether this team will contend next season, and if anything is favourable as UFAs are pretty much universally overpaid compared to other team's cap dumps. There is no trajectory altering UFA. Hell, there are barely any good UFAs. This year's class sucks.

So Dubas saying he wants to make it happen through small gambles and targeting players on other teams who can be had for reasonable trade demands is good.

The less good is the "oh, I don't want to spend good assets unless it's younger guys". The difference between this team taking on a couple of really good guys in their late 20s for a sizeable price and not is potentially huge. He's going to have his work cut out.

Particularly if he wants to use trade assets to get rid of Granlund too. Hopefully it turns out he has value but a buyout should be on the table. Admittedly, not saying that out loud makes a bunch of sense too, so we will see.

I feel like Bunting is a "smaller bet".

If a high energy, sandpaper guy who has a top 10 scoring forward in this UFA class, has hit 60 points recently, and is only going to be 28 at the start of the season, doesn't get a big long term contract then ... no, I've got nothing. It's not going to happen.

If this team isn't going to spend 14OA and Pickering, and is going to trade for guys from cap strapped teams, then their names are going to come to the surface very quickly.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The "I have talked with Sullivan to make sure we're on the same page about players to acquire" seems to be something that Hextall never did with Sullivan. That's the main thing I'm referring to.
That and Hextall would have been more vocal about trying to keep free agents. Especially Dumoulin. Dubas seemed to indicate Dumoulin is gone.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If this team isn't going to spend 14OA and Pickering, and is going to trade for guys from cap strapped teams, then their names are going to come to the surface very quickly.

Yeah I think their main trade chips are future picks (mainly 2nd rounders and 3rd rounders), POJ and Smith. I could see something like 2 future 2nds to get out of Granlund's deal and then using POJ as the main piece to get Ullmark from Boston. Both of those would align with what Dubas said his plan was.

Actually, bringing the "we need talent" idea to the forefront as well, that would make me think that Hall would make a lot of sense as well from Boston.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
So Dubas' goal is to buy low while also trying to plan for the future.

I dunno, this wishy-washy contend now while looking to the future stuff is kinda silly imo. The Penguins should pick a lane. Either you're trying to win or you're not. Putting one foot in the pool is just gonna make us potentially be in that dead zone of not being a playoff team but not being truly bad either.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I guess no one asked him about Guentzel and where he sees that going…our Pittsburgh media is the best lol

I dunno, this wishy-washy contend now while looking to the future stuff is kinda silly imo. The Penguins should pick a lane. Either you're trying to win or you're not. Putting one foot in the pool is just gonna make us potentially be in that dead zone of not being a playoff team but not being truly bad either.
He did…buying low now means he’s not really planning on contending

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain

I mean this is the same guy who said he'd take a year off if he wasn't back with Toronto then a week later moved his family to Pittsburgh

Let's wait for an actual move.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

100%. I’ll judge Dubas on his actual moves, but this media conference was exactly what Ron Hextall peddled for three years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't see the problem with this? If you can get legitimate NHL talent like Ullmark, Hall, Granlund or such by taking advantage of cash strapped teams, why wouldn't you do that over paying huge assets for better players?

For as much as this place screams about asset management, I would have figured that what Dubas said would be appealing here. They're going to try to take advantage of teams who need to clear cap instead of overpaying in trades or in free agency.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad