Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wouldn’t Jeff Carter love to retire in the beauty of the northern Rockies? He’s Canadian after all

While there is no doubt Calgary is the jewel of Alberta... something tells me BigJeff has one more year left in him on the Penguins to inexplicably be put out to gun for/defend empty nets, play in OT and other acid reflux-inducing decisions.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
While there is no doubt Calgary is the jewel of Alberta... something tells me BigJeff has one more year left in him on the Penguins to inexplicably be put out to gun for/defend empty nets, play in OT and other acid reflux-inducing decisions.
Sullivan won’t let him go, yep…

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Just on Granlund, but I kinda wonder if we're not about to see trade values on unloved players bounce back a little.

For one thing, it's a weak free agent class, which makes trading for guys a bit more attractive.

For another, it feels like we've reached the end of half the NHL being happy to be bad. Even Arizona are talking big about how it's time to git gud. I think Chicago, Anaheim, and Phillie still couldn't care less, but everyone else seems to be gearing up. Maybe it's having this supposedly historic draft in the rear mirror, maybe it's seeing an end to the flat cap, maybe owners are getting impatient, but it feels like teams are willing to spend to get places.

Maybe even - don't want to get too optimistic - see a team willing to just take Granlund, or at least exchange a not totally onerous contract for him.

I agree with this. I think it's mostly related to the cap expanding and teams thinking they can "buy" their way out of roster problems if they throw money at FAs in hopes of making them competitive.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Would solve our need for a high end winger to play with Geno
I’m just categorically against us picking up more30+ players regardless how good they are now…all of our top six would be 30+ except Jake at age 29 lol

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Only reason not to is if you think the alternative winger will outperform him these next 2 years. Rest of the contract doesn't matter.
68 PPP's over the last 2 years. Seems like he could really help there.
I mean it’s a fair point, assuming you think Sullivan will play him on PP1 lol…he also has the advantage of playing center…the other thing with him, however, is the acquisition cost…I’m not paying two first…even if it was only the #14 this season, how much worse off would we be let’s say signing Barbashev, for example, during FA and keeping our first? I tend to rather sign a 27/28 year old in FA

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
C: Kampf or ROR
W: Schmaltz (trade) or Barbashev/Bunting
D: Graves
G: Vejmelka (trade) or Ullmark/Swayman (trade)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Miller is an interesting option but there is no way I'd want to pay heavily to acquire. 8M until 2030 is a little scary for a guy who is already 30. Regardless of the team's perceived window and attendant shit years afterward where "who cares" or whatever. Retention would obviously change my feelings on that matter.

And if the team DID get a player like him only to start him on the second unit I would expect everyone (remaining) to turn in their Mike Sullivan Super Special Megafan card that same day.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it's fairly safe to say that prize acquisition 8m forward with a history of power play production would go on PP1, yeah.

Could step right into Rakell's position - which is where you see him for a lot of his goals if you watch the highlights - although its arguably an eccentric decision to remove your best PP goalscorer of the previous year for a guy who scored less than him and has never been an elite PP scorer.

Hmm. Let's go watch some Bo Horvat highlights to see if Miller pops as an elite PP playmaker...

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
On Miller, the situation is the same now that it was when he was talked about at the deadline: adding another $8 million player is going to ruin their ability to address all of the holes on the roster.

I especially hate the idea of adding another top-6 guy making that kind of money. They need to replace Zucker, but the bottom-6 and goaltending is way more important to address than the 2nd line LW spot.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like I said yesterday, if the Penguins need to add a guy on par with Toews or Slavin to play with Letang or Petry in the top-4, why the hell are they paying Letang and Petry over $6 million a year?

You only need a reliable DFD to pair with both of them, someone in that Pettersson mold. If that isn't sufficient, you're making a mistake by paying Petry and Letang what you're paying them.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I really don't think you make a Jake trade with the intention of still competing. Maybe there's some undiscovered deal out there that nobody's thinking of, but I think you just call it if/when you deal Jake.

They're gonna keep him, and re-sign him to a stupid deal that handcuffs the team when it comes to eventually having to move him for rebuilding purposes, because he's gonna be like a $9 million AAV paperweight with a super restrictive NMC in a couple years when Sid's done.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Jake can be frustrating but he's the only top six wing that can be relied on offensively and can finish his chances more than like once out of every two dozen primo setups. Or even sometimes do it on his own.

I'm down with a shakeup there but you'd better get some legit shooters and/or guys with some offensive touch for the top six immediately afterward. Dunno if everyone is aware but Sid/Geno are pushin' 40 and carrying your whole-ass line is difficult even in your 20s.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
On Miller, the situation is the same now that it was when he was talked about at the deadline: adding another $8 million player is going to ruin their ability to address all of the holes on the roster.

I especially hate the idea of adding another top-6 guy making that kind of money. They need to replace Zucker, but the bottom-6 and goaltending is way more important to address than the 2nd line LW spot.

You still feel this way if they're able to deal away Granlund with minimal money coming back?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jake can be frustrating but he's the only top six wing that can be relied on offensively and can finish his chances more than like once out of every two dozen primo setups. Or even sometimes do it on his own.

I'm down with a shakeup there but you'd better get some legit shooters and/or guys with some offensive touch for the top six immediately afterward. Dunno if everyone is aware but Sid/Geno are pushin' 40 and carrying your whole-ass line is difficult even in your 20s.
Still maintain the shakeup should've happened after Montreal in 2020. Namely JR and Sully getting the boot, but ah well.

Last chance was probably Rust last season before/at the deadline, but again, ah well. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad