Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Who's everyone's favorite targets at each position?

Mine are
Center: ROR
Wing: Bertuzzi
Defense: Karlsson
Goalie: Hellebuyck

Unfortunately neither ROR or Bert would satisfy Sully's need for speed, so we're probably targeting neither.

It would be interesting to see what a guy like Karlsson could do here if we decided to swing for the fences, moved Petry, and San Jose retained some. Rolling out Letang or Karlsson for 90% of every game would be fun as hell to watch.

Center: Nicolas Roy
Wing: Barbashev
Defense: Grzelcyk or Graves
Goalie: Ullmark

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think we should have a list of what players we think we actually get at each position instead of what players we’d like…lol

Center: Kampf
Wing: Bunting
Defense: none or Kulikov (I don’t think they land any big targets there)
Goalie: Gibson or they retain Jarry

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Chances are, Elias Lindholm will be.
And I guess JT Miller as well, though he may be best suited as a winger.
I’d trade our first for Lindholm or Hanifin…I think we have no chance at Lindholm though…too many teams in need of top two centers in this league with way better assets to offer…Calgary will get a lot for him…I want nothing to do w 30 year old Miller

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
Lindholm is looking for the Bo Horvat contract which seems vaguely risky for a guy creeping up on 30 who's scoring went in the tank when he lost elite players next to him. He seems like more of a Robin than a Batman.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
i mean if you could swing Jake for Marner, we could afford to cover the difference in salary…doesn’t sound like Matthews would be on the move…that’s a move I would do, and even Nylander but I don’t think that helps Toronto as much
I'd imagine it would be Jake+, but maybe the cap hit difference is enough to make it straight up? Especially if they are desperate to shake up their core? Could be their version of Neal for Hornqvist, but at a much higher level. I dunno. It's interesting to think about.

Anyway, that's the type of move I'd be looking at if I didn't want to commit long term to Jake (which I don't).

I would totally do Marner for Jake.

But some context:

- Would Tor do this with the justification that "Jake is a 2 time Cup winner that scores in the playoffs"?
- Pitt likely wouldn't ever part with Jake. He's stapled to Sid and this org/coach tends to do what Sid prefers
The answer to both is "who knows?", but I think there's a rationale from both sides.

Also, Jake's only a 1x Cup winner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Who's everyone's favorite targets at each position?

Mine are
Center: ROR
Wing: Bertuzzi
Defense: Karlsson
Goalie: Hellebuyck

Unfortunately neither ROR or Bert would satisfy Sully's need for speed, so we're probably targeting neither.

It would be interesting to see what a guy like Karlsson could do here if we decided to swing for the fences, moved Petry, and San Jose retained some. Rolling out Letang or Karlsson for 90% of every game would be fun as hell to watch.
If we got Karlsson I think Letang still remains 1st PP guy because of loyalty so I’d not want Karlsson here for PP 2 duties. Sully is that dumb…

Reactions: cygnus47 and Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just on Granlund, but I kinda wonder if we're not about to see trade values on unloved players bounce back a little.

For one thing, it's a weak free agent class, which makes trading for guys a bit more attractive.

For another, it feels like we've reached the end of half the NHL being happy to be bad. Even Arizona are talking big about how it's time to git gud. I think Chicago, Anaheim, and Phillie still couldn't care less, but everyone else seems to be gearing up. Maybe it's having this supposedly historic draft in the rear mirror, maybe it's seeing an end to the flat cap, maybe owners are getting impatient, but it feels like teams are willing to spend to get places.

Maybe even - don't want to get too optimistic - see a team willing to just take Granlund, or at least exchange a not totally onerous contract for him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The cap expanding (doubtless many sweaty-palmed GMs will once again take this for "it only goes up and up forever!") and this FA class being balls definitely helps the Penguins in regards to possibly moving some pieces, yeah. And as bad as I bag on Granlund... because he IS pretty terrible... it's not inconceivable that he'd do OK on certain teams in very particular situations. There is just no place that makes any sense on THIS team.

Though frankly whoever these mystery teams are better be super weak in their top six and not even have good enough powerplay personnel to bump Granlund off the absolute maximum amount of PP time he'd require to be even semi-useful.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The cap expanding (doubtless many sweaty-palmed GMs will once again take this for "it only goes up and up forever!") and this FA class being balls definitely helps the Penguins in regards to possibly moving some pieces, yeah. And as bad as I bag on Granlund... because he IS pretty terrible... it's not inconceivable that he'd do OK on certain teams in very particular situations. There is just no place that makes any sense on THIS team.

Though frankly whoever these mystery teams are better be super weak in their top six and not even have good enough powerplay personnel to bump Granlund off the absolute maximum amount of PP time he'd require to be even semi-useful.

Maybe Winnipeg.

23rd for PP last year. Their roster looks devoid of playmaking talent once you factor in all the expiring contracts jonesing for the door. They've got 12m of space before they start deleting contracts. And they're a team who knows FA isn't their friend. Maybe you pay them something for Niederreiter and include one Granlund free of charge and-

Oh my gods I've just realised Winnipeg paid less to Nashville for Niederreiter than we did for Granlund and it honest to god makes me feel a little nauseous.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hear there's a lotta fruit snacks and piss light beer in Calgary too.

*stares at Carter*

Hey it's only the finest Platinum for BigJeff.

What's the skinny on the playerwives in Calgary? I mean... the ones that aren't abandoning ship. Because BigJeff doesn't go for Pittsburgh 9s if ya know what I mean. Why do you think BigJeff is a big west coast guy?

Maybe Winnipeg.

23rd for PP last year. Their roster looks devoid of playmaking talent once you factor in all the expiring contracts jonesing for the door. They've got 12m of space before they start deleting contracts. And they're a team who knows FA isn't their friend. Maybe you pay them something for Niederreiter and include one Granlund free of charge and-

Oh my gods I've just realised Winnipeg paid less to Nashville for Niederreiter than we did for Granlund and it honest to god makes me feel a little nauseous.

It just gets worse and worse the longer you look at it, huh?

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Backlund is a guy I’ve always liked and apparently he’s now jumped into the life raft away from Calgary. Would make a helluva 3C, 2C fill in when needed.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lindholm is looking for the Bo Horvat contract which seems vaguely risky for a guy creeping up on 30 who's scoring went in the tank when he lost elite players next to him. He seems like more of a Robin than a Batman.
I’d rather give him that contract than Jake…he’s a center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad