Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
The Islanders just traded a 2026 2nd to get out of Bailey's deal, though.

Seravalli is listing Petry and Granlund. Honestly, I'm getting vibes that Petry is a bit more likely of a cap casualty than Granlund. Seravalli is also saying that Granlund isn't a buyout candidate here.

Petry out and a goalie in (in a separate trade) would make today a solid day

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kingerski doesn't have quite the same flair for the moronic as Yohe and Rossi but he's like... willfully ignorant.

What the f*** would this team do with Bailey?

He even says Smith is a lot better than Bailey in the comments. Very weird.

Do you think that you're getting anything of notable value to help the team today for a 2025 2nd and a 2027 2nd?

I think a team who is taking a bad contract is much more willing to accept those far down the line picks than someone selling an asset they currently have.

25 2nd and 24 3rd are pretty similar in terms of value and we saw what we just got the latter. Toronto were able to use their '25 2nd at the deadline in 22 for a couple of depth guys. So... not a huge amount, but it all counts. This team isn't rich.

I was telling a poster what he said. And what he said was idoitic

Ooops my bad.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
2 2nds is worth more than $6.7m spread over 4 years (on average 2% of the cap).

Buyout or obscure his cost in some huge trade. If the bribe costs 2 2nds stay away

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
There seems to be too much smoke around Petry for their to not be something there. I think Dubas is clearly trying to get out from under his deal. I think the Penguins were expecting more from him and aren’t happy with him

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
There seems to be too much smoke around Petry for their to not be something there. I think Dubas is clearly trying to get out from under his deal. I think the Penguins were expecting more from him and aren’t happy with him

I think so too. Maybe there are lingering injury concerns too.

But he still is a top 4 dman and they cant move him without replacing him.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I think they want to mostly get younger and it doesn't hurt that Petry's contract is hefty.

Otherwise I thought he was mostly fine last year. Not as impactful as some had hoped like you said, though.

They would immediately need to address the vacancy, though...

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Moving Petry makes honestly no sense.

There are no RHD that can play 20+ minutes on the UFA board.

We would have to acquire a RHD which we don't have assets for.

And the value back is likely nothing given the trades we've seen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see something like Petry and a pick/prospect to Chicago for Murphy. Saves the Penguins $1.85 million on the cap and gives them a much more DFD type of defenseman. He has 3 years left at $4.4 million and is 30.

Murphy makes a ton more sense as a POJ or Smith partner for the 2nd pair than Petry.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
HOW TOPICAL
I try to stay on top of current events as much as possible

I could see something like Petry and a pick/prospect to Chicago for Murphy. Saves the Penguins $1.85 million on the cap and gives them a much more DFD type of defenseman. He has 3 years left at $4.4 million and is 30.

Murphy makes a ton more sense as a POJ or Smith partner for the 2nd pair than Petry.
I don’t think that’s what Dubas wants though. I think Dubas just wants to cap dump Petry to get more flexibility

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Moving Petry makes honestly no sense.

There are no RHD that can play 20+ minutes on the UFA board.

We would have to acquire a RHD which we don't have assets for.

And the value back is likely nothing given the trades we've seen.

Ya it doesn't make sense unless you make a big splash but with what assets.

Unless you move Granlund and Petry out to take on Karlsson at full value but that would be insane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad