Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I once again look at Toronto and the rumours they want to dump Brodie for Petry's replacement.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Petry has a limited movement contract so there is that. Secondly, I keep him unless a very good deal can be made. With Letang you never know so keep him for this year and move him after this year. The D has to be a make over any way and only the pick last year on LD looks to be a candidate in a couple years. There are some decent D men if not signed for next years FA list. Dubas gets a physical LD and go from there.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Seravalli is saying no one else is on waivers today. Believe that means that Granlund can't be bought out.

Friedman did just say that tomorrow was the deadline though, but I'm pretty sure today is the deadline to put a player on waivers. Buyouts have to happen before July 1st AFAIK.

Reactions: Andy99

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
I'd be pumped if we get rid of both Gran and Petry. Hope one is involved in a Gibson trade.
Getting rid of Petry means we get worse on defense, at least in the short term. However, I think if Gibson comes back, that evens it out as he can make up for the difference in play in front of him. And as the young d develop as the year goes on, it may end up as a net positive by years end.

I’m on board!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Getting rid of Petry means we get worse on defense, at least in the short term. However, I think if Gibson comes back, that evens it out as he can make up for the difference in play in front of him. And as the young d develop as the year goes on, it may end up as a net positive by years end.

I’m on board!

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Seravalli is saying no one else is on waivers today. Believe that means that Granlund can't be bought out.

Friedman did just say that tomorrow was the deadline though, but I'm pretty sure today is the deadline to put a player on waivers. Buyouts have to happen before July 1st AFAIK.

They can be waived tomorrow.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Rob Rossi
@Real_RobRossi
·
9m
Penguins have engaged with Flames about defenseman Noah Hanifin. View him as potential partner for Kris Letang with top pairing.
They’ll have to get creative to make a deal, as they’re one of many suitors — but probably one with fewest assets to offer. #NHLDraft

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
FWIW the Penguins can pretty easily make the cap work to add both Hanifin and Mayfield with trading Petry. I'm guessing Mayfield comes in at around $5 million and Hanifin is making basically $5 million, so you'd only be adding $3.75 million in cap with the swap.

That would leave the Penguins with:

Hanifin-Letang
Pettersson-Mayfield
POJ-Rutta

With using Pettersson-Mayfield as the shutdown pair.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Rob Rossi
@Real_RobRossi
·
9m
Penguins have engaged with Flames about defenseman Noah Hanifin. View him as potential partner for Kris Letang with top pairing.
They’ll have to get creative to make a deal, as they’re one of many suitors — but probably one with fewest assets to offer. #NHLDraft
I really like Hanifin, have no idea what asset or assets we could part with since our mandate is to not give up 1st or 2hd rounders.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
To your point I think that’s in their back pocket as as a last resort. I think between today and tomorrow he tries to trade for a goalie and if nothing works out he might circle back to Jarry and his camp. I also am not crazy about the idea but I agree that it’s at least something that is being kept in his back pocket

I also don’t get why everyone would be against Zucker coming back IF it’s a very team friendly deal. I mean if Zucker likes the situation and doesn’t want to leave and would sign for 3 years $10.5 million why would people be mad about that? Age shouldn’t matter to this team as much as having good hockey players should. Zucker coming back on a deal like that helps create depth that is desperately needed. That means you have one of Zucker, Rakell, Smith or Rust on the 3rd line. Why is that a problem?
Because it's a waste of money. Whoever's in that spot won't be able to play up to his cap hit.
You'd be paying 5 mil for someone that will only be able to produce like a 2.5-3M value player. That's what Sullivan's deployment would force.

Zucker's not taking 3.5M.

Pittsburgh Penguins
@Penguins
·
46s
The Penguins have traded the 90th pick in the 2023 NHL Draft to the New York Rangers for the 91st pick (yes, the next pick) and the Rangers 7th round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.
LOL
Clean Dubas W

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
FWIW the Penguins can pretty easily make the cap work to add both Hanifin and Mayfield with trading Petry. I'm guessing Mayfield comes in at around $5 million and Hanifin is making basically $5 million, so you'd only be adding $3.75 million in cap with the swap.

That would leave the Penguins with:

Hanifin-Letang
Pettersson-Mayfield
POJ-Rutta

With using Pettersson-Mayfield as the shutdown pair.
I'd be thrilled with that blue line.

I really like Hanifin, have no idea what asset or assets we could part with since our mandate is to not give up 1st or 2hd rounders.
2nds are on the table I believe. Just not future or already chosen 1sts.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
For the sake of not being a miserable little stormcloud around here while I'm posting I'm going to do my best to start the process of accepting that the absolute sucking void of hockey misery that is Granlund will be playing on this roster next year.

Hey maybe he'll even bounce back! Hahahahahaha I totally believe that, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad