Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
128 more points to pass Lemieux for the all-time Penguins scoring list.

160 more to become the player with the most points ever, to have only played for one single franchise (Currently Yzerman).

214 more to become the player with the most points ever, for any franchise (Currently Howe).

322 more to pass Jagr to be 2nd all-time in points.

404 more to hit 2000 points
Call me crazy but I think 322 is achievable if he wants it. Probably takes 5 years, and he can coast into being a 40ish point 3C by the end

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Or Jagr for that matter. Their points are virtually identical: Jagr had 1599 points by his aged 37 season in 1273 games; Sid has 1596 in 1272 games. While true Jagr benefited by playing with Mario, he also played on some pretty average to bad teams from 1998 - 2004. Plus, he played in the dead puck era, with players literally hanging off of him. Until the last 3-4 years, Sid has played on good teams since the second season he played.

Both are great and top all-time players but Jagr has him by a bit. To think though, Crosby only being the 3rd best player on your team since 2001 (Jagr and Mario's last year together). F@ck the Penguins, I hope they go through an Arizona level rebuild.

No one who has watched Crosby and Jagr have Jagr over Crosby.

Jagr's peak was excellent, but he was dominating a talent-drained league and didn't do much outside of that late 1990s window.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Amazing how many people would pick lotto ticket prospects over getting to watch one of the greatest players to ever live play. And even if they do a full on tank/rebuild than why not have a Crosby around as a mentor? (Mario did it)

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
If he went to a team and won another Cup he would get little to no credit as he’d just be the token vet added to an existing core.

If he went to a team and never won another Cup he would lose the single franchise prestige and the braintrust of HFboards would claim he wasn’t a real winner because he couldn’t win somewhere else.
Unless that team happens to be the Leafs. Even more than how Messier is immortalized in NY, Crosby would have statues in TO. Just saying :D.

As far as not being as winner after not winning somewhere else...etc etc etc. There would always be a cynical few.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I get a kick out of this “closing in on an extension
“ nonsense. You really think Dubas and Sid are haggling over a million bucks?or a trade clause? Come on man.

I wouldn't have traded for Erik Karlsson. I would have tried to use the assets and cap space for upgrades at other positions, maybe 1 more good forward and good depth pieces.

I would not have traded Guentzel unless he didn't want to sign, which is not what I heard, in order to keep going forward for a few more years.

Then again, my job is not to be the GM of a hockey club, so it doesn't matter what I would have tried to do.

For all we know, owners may prefer this partial sell off since it will make the rebuild years slightly more average, keeping more fan interest than scorched earth rebuild which is maybe tough on the club's finances for some years.
You won’t be hired as a GM anytime soon.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
“ nonsense. You really think Dubas and Sid are haggling over a million bucks?or a trade clause? Come on man.

The funny thing is Sid probably told his agent the only way he was signing a deal that wasn’t $8.7 aav was if he signed it on 8/7 to even out the voodoo witchcraft that lives in his brain.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think many hockey historians have Jagr over Crosby, but there is an argument.
I'm not a historian. I'm just a fan who watched both their careers from beginning to end (well not quite end for Sid). I agree that you build a team around Sid as he plays the more important position, far more defensively responsible, and a team leader. As a pure talent however, I'd take Jagr. I also have Mario as number 1, so maybe I see things differently. If he hadn't lost so much time in the peak of his career, with the games lost from 90-94 and retiring from 97-00, he would have probably broken many of Gretzky's records. Though that's another argument for another time.

Jagr's peak was excellent, but he was dominating a talent-drained league and didn't do much outside of that late 1990s window.
I watched them both from the start of their careers. When Jagr had the puck against the low boards. no one was taking it off him. He seemed to me to be a selfish player earlier in his career, that was certainly a knock. And Jagr started to slow down at an earlier stage in his career, also true, though he played a full season in has age 44-45 season (not a prime player anymore, but still). It makes me wonder how he would have been remembered if he stayed retired from the NHL after the 07-08 season. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind, I don't have any skin in that game. Just the way I see it.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
If there were a draft and I could take either young Jagr or young Sid, I take Sid every time and I was a huge Jagr fan. I imagine most actual GMs would do the same but I obviously have nothing to back that up.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The funny thing is Sid probably told his agent the only way he was signing a deal that wasn’t $8.7 aav was if he signed it on 8/7 to even out the voodoo witchcraft that lives in his brain.
3 year deal, 19.87mil total, signed on August 7.

mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I wouldn't have traded for Erik Karlsson. I would have tried to use the assets and cap space for upgrades at other positions, maybe 1 more good forward and good depth pieces.

I would not have traded Guentzel unless he didn't want to sign, which is not what I heard, in order to keep going forward for a few more years.

Then again, my job is not to be the GM of a hockey club, so it doesn't matter what I would have tried to do.

For all we know, owners may prefer this partial sell off since it will make the rebuild years slightly more average, keeping more fan interest than scorched earth rebuild which is maybe tough on the club's finances for some years.
Outside of the pick, what we traded for Karlsson were not assets, they were cap dumps. And trading them off as cap dumps would have resulted in us giving up more than a 1st in total value.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Amazing how many people would pick lotto ticket prospects over getting to watch one of the greatest players to ever live play. And even if they do a full on tank/rebuild than why not have a Crosby around as a mentor? (Mario did it)

As someone who became a Penguins fan and has watched years and years of Crosby.

The beauty of the internet/cable is I can still watch him on another team. I definitely would and be on the bandwagon for that team till he retires.

We have missed the playoffs twice and the last playoff win is 2018. I want to see Crosby on the big stage again.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021

You won’t be hired as a GM anytime soon.
Interestingly enough, "directeur général" is my job title in real life (for a local nonprofit organization). So, for what it's worth, I am probably more qualified for that type of job than you.

Last edited:

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005

Jagr had 7 seasons in the 1990s where he was either 1st in PPG or 2nd in PPG.

If Jagr had been given as much ice time and PP ice during his first 2 season as Crosby he would have had another 100 points on that resume and dominated the 1990s like nothing else, despite only "doing much outside the late 1990s window" :D Only thing that held back Jagr was being stuck behind a boatload of hall of famers in the early 1990s limiting his ice time.

That last line has to be a bad trolling attempt from you!

Also I´d take Lindros, Forsberg, Sakic, Yzerman any day over Malkin or Ovechkin overall, I would argue the talent level was actually worse during the Crosby era after past prime Jagr dominated Crosby and Ovechkin in 2005-2006 and even in the 2007-2008 playoff.

Thats not a slight against Crosby who I have a ton of respect for, but the zero credit some Pens fans are giving Jagr is getting annoying.

90S85GE.jpeg

Last edited:

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

If Jagr had been given as much ice time and PP ice during his first 2 season as Crosby he would have had another 100 points on that resume and dominated the 1990s like nothing else, despite only "doing much outside the late 1990s window" :D Only thing that held back Jagr was being stuck behind a boatload of hall of famers in the early 1990s limiting his ice time.

Also I´d take Lindros, Forsberg, Sakic, Yzerman any day over Malkin or Ovechkin overall, I would argue the talent level was actually worse during the Crosby era after past prime Jagr dominated Crosby and Ovechkin in 2005-2006 and even in the 2007-2008 playoff.

Thats not a slight against Crosby who I have a ton of respect for, but the zero credit some Pens fans are giving Jagr is getting annoying.

90S85GE.jpeg
They're about equal offensively. Crosby is better in every other facet. I've watched both of their entire penguins careers. No one would take Jagr over Crosby.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

90S85GE.jpeg

I have a hard time taking your argument even remotely seriously with the bolded.

Reactions: domaug
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad