Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I guess Crosby doesn't want to win.
There's no player in the league that's won more than Sid. Three cups, two Conn Smythes, an Olympic gold (with the Golden Goal), a World Championship, a World Cup, a World Cup MVP, along with several individual awards...

Sid has won it all. Da f*** you talking about boi?

ETA: Oh, and he has an Emmy. Sid has an Emmy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Crosby is 36 years old and has won 3 Stanley Cups and has played his entire career with the Penguins. I am sure he is settled and happy with his life where it is at this point and probably quite happy to finish his career with the Penguins. I am sure the Penguins are happy to keep him for the rest of his career also.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I think this shows that Sid prioritizes retiring a PEN over money or winning at this point.

I get it. It would be cool to see him leave and join a super team or something. But I get it. He's preserving a legacy now.
$30 million for his age 38-40 years and he's not prioritizing money? If he wasn't, he'd be playing at a reduced rate so they can get some talent to play beside them. Not knocking the guy, he's entitled to get what he can, but he sure as shit is prioritizing money. That's probably more than he'd get on the open market at that stage of his career.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
$30 million for his age 38-40 years and he's not prioritizing money? If he wasn't, he'd be playing at a reduced rate so they can get some talent to play beside them. Not knocking the guy, he's entitled to get what he can, but he sure as shit is prioritizing money. That's probably more than he'd get on the open market at that stage of his career.
He has consistently de-prioritized money. He has been at $8.7M forever now. Even Malkin signed for higher than him the last pre-retiring contract ($9.5M/yr).

I wouldn't be surprised is he signs for $8.7M again.

Reactions: wetcoast and banks

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sid took a contract that I think everyone knew was team friendly on his last deal. I don't understand the "Oh, Sid is just cashing out" comments. Especially considering that even if he took less, Penguins current management team doesn't appear to know how to build a winner around him.

Reactions: banks

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Stamkos just got 8 mil × 4 years but Crosby couldn't get 10 mil × 3.

Right.

Crosby can name his price, not only because of his on ice performance but from the name recognition/prestige he would bring to any organization.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It's probably not the same group, but it's interesting to see the people bemoaning the Penguins' re-signing their long term captain and one of the most important players in their history, while the people in the Vegas thread are calling them mercenary merchants for getting rid of their aging or poorly performing players.:dunno:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Stamkos just got 8 mil × 4 years but Crosby couldn't get 10 mil × 3.

Right.

Crosby can name his price, not only because of his on ice performance but from the name recognition/prestige he would bring to any organization.
Crosby's agent will have a formula that shows exactly how much Crosby alone brings in to the Penguins in merchandising as well. In terms of value to financial return the player generates for the team, Sid is still at or near the top.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Where do people get the idea that aging players have value? Whether it's Crosby or Stamkos, who do people think they'll fetch in return? It's not the 20 year old star. You're not getting the 1st pick in the draft(unless you get an unprotected 1st and the team with the aging player ends up sucking). You'll get some cap dumps, and a mid to late 1st. Maybe a 2nd line prospect. I guess there's always the perfect set of circumstances type trade like with the Huberdeau/Tkachuk deal. If Tkachuk didn't want out/Huberdeau has his average season though, you're not getting Tkachuk for Huberdeau. The age difference there for a guy like Crosby would be like getting a 30+ year old, which means the Pens still aren't fully rebuilding.

In theory, a 36 year old Crosby, or a 33 year old Stamkos, would have value, because they're still productive players. With tremendoes name recognition. In the trade market though, where is any of the historical the evidence for it? When you have to take variables into account.

randywoodsghost

Jul 13, 2022
Great news. Will help continue to cement the Pens as a bubble team on the outside looking in for the next few years.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Crosby is 36 years old and has won 3 Stanley Cups and has played his entire career with the Penguins. I am sure he is settled and happy with his life where it is at this point and probably quite happy to finish his career with the Penguins. I am sure the Penguins are happy to keep him for the rest of his career also.
I get this but I also wonder how much Crosby could add to his legacy if he went to say the Avs and became the 4th all time in playoff points as I really doubt he sees the playoffs ever again if he stays in Pittsburg.

It's probably not the same group, but it's interesting to see the people bemoaning the Penguins' re-signing their long term captain and one of the most important players in their history, while the people in the Vegas thread are calling them mercenary merchants for getting rid of their aging or poorly performing players.:dunno:
I could see some people being in both groups as there is a small vocal minority here that are just complainers.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sure I guess if you think that he is going to fall off a cliff but he is elite in faceoffs and still finished tied for 12th in points last year and the salary cap is going up so even at 3 X10 million I doubt that he will ever be a bad contract.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Sure I guess if you think that he is going to fall off a cliff but he is elite in faceoffs and still finished tied for 12th in points last year and the salary cap is going up so even at 3 X10 million I doubt that he will ever be a bad contract.
I'm reminded of Colby Armstrong's quote "Sidney Crosby trains like there is a league better than the NHL that he’s preparing for".

I think that league will turn out to be "continuing to play at an elite/high-end level as a forward in your late 30s and early 40s in the NHL".

Reactions: wetcoast

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montréal should go out there and offer him a two years/10 M contract or something

Montréal is a young team, and having a living, beathing and still skating hockey legend like Crosby around wouldn't hurt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Montréal should go out there and offer him a two years/10 M contract or something

Montréal is a young team, and having a living, beathing and still skating hockey legend like Crosby around wouldn't hurt

lol literally why would Crosby want to leave Pittsburgh for Montreal.

The only reason he'd be leaving Pittsburgh is to go win more cups, and Montreal hasn't won shit in 30 years.

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
It's fine, it's just mindboggling how little direction the Pens have had in the last few years. Trying to compete, but not really. Selling, but just a little bit.

All in all, Pens have had an amazing 20 years and it's fine to go through a downtime, but Dubas will be remembered as a GM that prolonged the funk period rather than turn a corner.
This is how the end of hof players usually goes. He will have his chance to "turn" the corner once these 3 guys retire.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
This is how the end of hof players usually goes. He will have his chance to "turn" the corner once these 3 guys retire.
I agree with this. It's just that, if you know you can't rebuild while Crosby, Malkin and Letang are still here, why not re-sign Guentzel instead of trading him for futures which will be too little too late anyway?

Give these guys and the team's fans the best shot they can get, because tomorrow is gonna hurt regardless of what they do.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
He's already got 3 Cups. He probably thinks he can win another in Pittsburgh. That's in his DNA. Also, he convinced Malkin and Letang to stay in Pittsburgh so he's loyal to them. AND he probably knows that if he leaves the team could struggle to turn a profit like it did just before the Pens won the 2005 draft lottery. And that he's going to have a role with the organization once he hangs up his skates. There are LOTS of reasons for him to stay with the team. And chasing a Cup elsewhere usually don't work anyways. Ask Jarome Iginla or Corey Perry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad