Rumor: Pens, Crosby closing in on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
lol literally why would Crosby want to leave Pittsburgh for Montreal.

The only reason he'd be leaving Pittsburgh is to go win more cups, and Montreal hasn't won shit in 30 years.

The penguins are on the cusp to have to go into rebuild mode by default, the Habs are exiting one
In two years, Montréal will be above the Pens in the standing

Plus, maybe Crosby would want to end his career with the Habs? It cost nothing to ask the player

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It's fine, it's just mindboggling how little direction the Pens have had in the last few years. Trying to compete, but not really. Selling, but just a little bit.

All in all, Pens have had an amazing 20 years and it's fine to go through a downtime, but Dubas will be remembered as a GM that prolonged the funk period rather than turn a corner.
Why would you blame Dubas? What would you have done?

Reactions: uncleben

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Yeah. He's pretty solidly the #5 player all-time right now, and there's nothing he could reasonably do from here on out to improve on that.

If he went to a team and won another Cup he would get little to no credit as he’d just be the token vet added to an existing core.

If he went to a team and never won another Cup he would lose the single franchise prestige and the braintrust of HFboards would claim he wasn’t a real winner because he couldn’t win somewhere else.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
128 more points to pass Lemieux for the all-time Penguins scoring list.

160 more to become the player with the most points ever, to have only played for one single franchise (Currently Yzerman).

214 more to become the player with the most points ever, for any franchise (Currently Howe).

322 more to pass Jagr to be 2nd all-time in points.

404 more to hit 2000 points

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
He's already got 3 Cups. He probably thinks he can win another in Pittsburgh. That's in his DNA. Also, he convinced Malkin and Letang to stay in Pittsburgh so he's loyal to them. AND he probably knows that if he leaves the team could struggle to turn a profit like it did just before the Pens won the 2005 draft lottery. And that he's going to have a role with the organization once he hangs up his skates. There are LOTS of reasons for him to stay with the team. And chasing a Cup elsewhere usually don't work anyways. Ask Jarome Iginla or Corey Perry.

.... yeah because FSG isn't one of the richest sports companies in the world or anything, their gonna go bankrupt again for sure.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
A lot has changed for the Pens, their arena situation and the ownership situation since 2005, guys. That was nearly 25 years ago. It's ok to admit that the Pens aren't on the verge of bankruptcy. Join us in the 2020s.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Why would you blame Dubas? What would you have done?
I wouldn't have traded for Erik Karlsson. I would have tried to use the assets and cap space for upgrades at other positions, maybe 1 more good forward and good depth pieces.

I would not have traded Guentzel unless he didn't want to sign, which is not what I heard, in order to keep going forward for a few more years.

Then again, my job is not to be the GM of a hockey club, so it doesn't matter what I would have tried to do.

For all we know, owners may prefer this partial sell off since it will make the rebuild years slightly more average, keeping more fan interest than scorched earth rebuild which is maybe tough on the club's finances for some years.

Reactions: wetcoast

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
And? Are you really implying that Guentzel is a better player? I have all sorts of problems with how PIT is managing things, but extending Crosby for 3 x 10M is a great move.

Maybe the best part of this news, if the details are accurate, is that we are getting at least 4 more seasons of Crosby in the NHL

160 more to become the player with the most points ever, to have only played for one single franchise (Currently Yzerman).

214 more to become the player with the most points ever, for any franchise (Currently Howe).

I hope he gets them all.
Probably need at least 5 seasons to get there though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The only people who think Crosby needs to add anything to his legacy are bottom of the barrel HFboards posters.
For the record I don't think that he has to add to his legacy as I already have him 5th all time but all the icing he can add helps doesn't it?

The penguins are on the cusp to have to go into rebuild mode by default, the Habs are exiting one
In two years, Montréal will be above the Pens in the standing

Plus, maybe Crosby would want to end his career with the Habs? It cost nothing to ask the player
Crosby will be 38 in 2 years and a lot would have to go right in Montreal for them to even be a playoff team then without him so it's extremely unlikely.

I always thought that it was a 99% chance that he retires as a Pen with maybe a 1% chance of going to the Avs.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If he went to a team and won another Cup he would get little to no credit as he’d just be the token vet added to an existing core.

we disagree here as crosby is still an impact player, he might not be the best player on any SC team but he would be top 5 and top 3 forward on alsmt any SC team in the next 2 years.
If he went to a team and never won another Cup he would lose the single franchise prestige and the braintrust of HFboards would claim he wasn’t a real winner because he couldn’t win somewhere else.
Well he isn't getting the goals record so those types of posters don't matter.:eek3:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

These 3 things could happen.

These are unlikely as I don't think crosby will just hang around but he might age really well as he already has done so.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's fine, it's just mindboggling how little direction the Pens have had in the last few years. Trying to compete, but not really. Selling, but just a little bit.

All in all, Pens have had an amazing 20 years and it's fine to go through a downtime, but Dubas will be remembered as a GM that prolonged the funk period rather than turn a corner.

Dubas has been the Penguins GM for like 12 months. He wanted to contend last year and added Karlsson for a pretty minimal cost, then he saw the team was actually just toast and wasn’t worth trying to salvage as a contending team. Then he shifted to the soft rebuild they’re in now.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
He's a top 5 player ever to play in the NHL, in my opinion. They aren't my team so I don't follow the PENS much. But I hope Crosby never players for another NHL team. It would just look and feel wrong.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
All that's left for him is to beat Jagr for 2nd all time points leader. Probably rank him 3rd or 4th all time.
Sid's an all-time great, but a forward with only 2 scoring titles is not passing any of Gretz, Mario, Howe or Orr no matter how good the rest of their resume is.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
He has consistently de-prioritized money. He has been at $8.7M forever now. Even Malkin signed for higher than him the last pre-retiring contract ($9.5M/yr).

I wouldn't be surprised is he signs for $8.7M again.
That's true, but also kinda not. He signed one of those now prohibited back-diving contracts. He made $36 million in the first three years of his $104,000,000 contract that was the largest in the league when he signed it. Time value of money makes this worth more than 8.7 million a year.

Sid took a contract that I think everyone knew was team friendly on his last deal. I don't understand the "Oh, Sid is just cashing out" comments. Especially considering that even if he took less, Penguins current management team doesn't appear to know how to build a winner around him.
I didn't say he was cashing out. I took issue with the aspersion that money wasn't a factor in a decision to sign a 3-year $30 million deal taking him into his age 40 season.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Stamkos just got 8 mil × 4 years but Crosby couldn't get 10 mil × 3.

Right.

Crosby can name his price, not only because of his on ice performance but from the name recognition/prestige he would bring to any organization.
Stamkos took $2 million less being three years younger. He'll be 38 when his contract ends, not begins. Teams care about cups, not prestige. If he plays at age 40 the way he played last year, then he's absolute value for the contract. Still, don't say money doesn't play a factor in his decision.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Sure I guess if you think that he is going to fall off a cliff but he is elite in faceoffs and still finished tied for 12th in points last year and the salary cap is going up so even at 3 X10 million I doubt that he will ever be a bad contract.
That's not the point I'm trying to make. The OP said he's prioritizing staying with the Penguins over the money. I'm saying the optics aren't there. I am not saying he isn't still great or that there's no chance he won't live up to the contract. The two are mutually exclusive.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
For the record I don't think that he has to add to his legacy as I already have him 5th all time but all the icing he can add helps doesn't it?

Crosby will be 38 in 2 years and a lot would have to go right in Montreal for them to even be a playoff team then without him so it's extremely unlikely.

I always thought that it was a 99% chance that he retires as a Pen with maybe a 1% chance of going to the Avs.
He's 37 next month. He'll be 38 when he starts his next contract.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Sid's an all-time great, but a forward with only 2 scoring titles is not passing any of Gretz, Mario, Howe or Orr no matter how good the rest of their resume is.
Or Jagr for that matter. Their points are virtually identical: Jagr had 1599 points by his aged 37 season in 1273 games; Sid has 1596 in 1272 games. While true Jagr benefited by playing with Mario, he also played on some pretty average to bad teams from 1998 - 2004. Plus, he played in the dead puck era, with players literally hanging off of him. Until the last 3-4 years, Sid has played on good teams since the second season he played.

Both are great and top all-time players but Jagr has him by a bit. To think though, Crosby only being the 3rd best player on your team since 2001 (Jagr and Mario's last year together). F@ck the Penguins, I hope they go through an Arizona level rebuild.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Or Jagr for that matter. Their points are virtually identical: Jagr had 1599 points by his aged 37 season in 1273 games; Sid has 1596 in 1272 games. While true Jagr benefited by playing with Mario, he also played on some pretty average to bad teams from 1998 - 2004. Plus, he played in the dead puck era, with players literally hanging off of him. Until the last 3-4 years, Sid has played on good teams since the second season he played.

Both are great and top all-time players but Jagr has him by a bit. To think though, Crosby only being the 3rd best player on your team since 2001 (Jagr and Mario's last year together). F@ck the Penguins, I hope they go through an Arizona level rebuild.
I don't think many hockey historians have Jagr over Crosby, but there is an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad