OT: 2024 Weather Thread

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
My uncle is under the impression his place is gone (it was close to the Church that was shown to be burned down and is in multiple photos). It does sounds like the northern parts of the main strip have survived for now. Truly devastating for the community, even if your place luckily avoided significant damage, a ton of your neighbors and friends didn't. Thankfully, it sounds like pretty much everyone got out.
It’s really miraculous that everybody appears to have gotten out. That’s the good news we should probably be focused on.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Not the least bit ironic that the National Park system, with the supposed mandate to preserve is arguably the worst at managing anything from the parks to the forests to the lakes, services, campgrounds etc. Said it before but large swaths of pine beetle infestations and dead forests were very notable as far back as the 70's and of course never went away, and of course were not adequately dealt with.

Jasper itself, for decades has been among the worst run parks in the Nation, but with the 2nd most revenue from parks passes, camping etc. But unfortunately lions share of that $ that Jasper garners is not spent there. Like everything in Alberta it subsidizes rest of nation.

Before the Whistlers campground improvements the campground was so bad and poorly maintained that trees were growing right under some of the campsite tables. Some right in the Campground pads. Abundant dangerous deadfall trees seen everywhere hanging precariously ready to fall on an unsuspecting camper, tent etc. Just in one circle you could count 100 tress that were potentially dangerous and standing dead. Just leaning on other trees. This reported, nothing done, nothing ever done. They'd take your reports and next time visiting the same thing.

Everything in Jasper has been deplorably run through this millennium. We had been going less because the camping experiences were so consistently anything goes. Parties unabated till 3am in Campgrounds.

What Jasper specifically lacked is some kind of continuity and apparent experience in staffing. The brunt of the staffing being summer hires every year that barely cared about the place. Not even from here because of bilingual requirements.

Could go in a lot more detail specifically on the limited equipment and boots on the ground in Jasper as the fire swept into town but now is not the time.

It's pretty astonishing that Parks Canada protects about the same amount of land that the US Parks Service does (~85 million acres or 350,000 sq km) but has nearly 3.5x less budget ($1.3 billion CAD, 2021) and 4.3x less employees (4,666) than the US Parks Service ($4.51 billion CAD, 20,000 employees).

Like what are we doing here?

For whatever reason, there's no real push by any federal party to increase this spending either. It's like the military. I guess it's not sexy enough for federal politics. Meanwhile Trudeau is trying to convince NATO members that he is committed to defense spending despite decades of cuts and Pollivere is too obsessed with making stupid memes rather than presenting a solution to the issues. And Jagmeet, well, who gives a f*** what he has to say.

It's also f***ing ridiculous that the feds can't use federal resources to fight wildfires on national parkland without approval from the provincial government in which the park resides or using the emergencies act. The Politics in this country makes it worse since neither Trudeau or Smith will want to ask for help until it's absolutely needed because they don't want to give each other any support since they're diametrically opposed to each other.

So as a result, the climate warms, towns burn to the ground, and the average Canadian is left to pick up the pieces.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's pretty astonishing that Parks Canada protects about the same amount of land that the US Parks Service does (~85 million acres or 350,000 sq km) but has nearly 3.5x less budget ($1.3 billion CAD, 2021) and 4.3x less employees (4,666) than the US Parks Service ($4.51 billion CAD, 20,000 employees).

Like what are we doing here?

For whatever reason, there's no real push by any federal party to increase this spending either. It's like the military. I guess it's not sexy enough for federal politics. Meanwhile Trudeau is trying to convince NATO members that he is committed to defense spending despite decades of cuts and Pollivere is too obsessed with making stupid memes rather than presenting a solution to the issues. And Jagmeet, well, who gives a f*** what he has to say.

It's also f***ing ridiculous that the feds can't use federal resources to fight wildfires on national parkland without approval from the provincial government in which the park resides or using the emergencies act. The Politics in this country makes it worse since neither Trudeau or Smith will want to ask for help until it's absolutely needed because they don't want to give each other any support since they're diametrically opposed to each other.

So as a result, the climate warms, towns burn to the ground, and the average Canadian is left to pick up the pieces.
Not sure if going by acres is apples to apples IMO.

Number of Parks would play a big part in those numbers, no?

As a taxpayer I have no idea where we'd get money to get to the American numbers for parks and then increase for Nato too. Would be a lot of slashing elsewhere.

So 33% to 50% if jasper burnt
Burnt is one thing, but how much smoke/water damage is done to ones that are still standing?

Reactions: bellagiobob

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Not sure if going by acres is apples to apples IMO.

Number of Parks would play a big part in those numbers, no?

As a taxpayer I have no idea where we'd get money to get to the American numbers for parks and then increase for Nato too. Would be a lot of slashing elsewhere.

That's exactly what I'm getting at.

A big thing absolutely nobody is talking about (and I mean NOBODY) is the fact the Canadian economy is completely stagnant. Right now the biggest thing Canada creates is real estate investments and educated professionals. Neither of which contributes to long-term economic prosperity.

Canada's productivity has seen ZERO growth in the last 6 years and has fallen SIGNIFICANTLY compared to other G7 nations. We're only second to Italy when it comes to productivity decline. We're not making shit. Companies aren't coming here. New companies aren't being created. This isn't even new, our productivity decline began FOURTY YEARS AGO. Source

A government actually committed to turning the ship around would be pointing this out and deliberately making it easier to invest in Canada and reduce the barriers of entry by encouraging competition. But has the Liberals, Conservatives or NDP said anything about this? No. Because those who profit most off a unproductive and uncompetitive economy are the ones pouring money into their campaigns.

Heh Gov employees are the most useless people in the world

SHould be completely burnt down

> government employees are useless

> burn down the entirety of the river valley

...this is a joke right?

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The situation in Jasper is truly crushing, especially for those that call the park home and those whose businesses have been destroyed.

I spent a lot of time in Jasper when I was younger. Such a special place. I have not been there for years but I am now in Edmonton for three weeks on business and family issues. My wife and I had planned to take a few days and head out to Jasper as late as last Friday.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
So its clear that for whatever reason the job of firefighting in National Parks is or has become the job of the province. Because that is what has been happening for quite awhile. For whatever reason..So why in gods name did it take our Ministry of Forests and Parks until 4 pm yesterday to request assistance from the Feds.?Like, can it get anymore ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sanchez

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Stay safe Bob.

20+years ago we had a significant forest fire here at the lake we now live at. Back then we were just weekenders.

It was on the other side and we watched water bombers work it for days. Embers from that fire made it to our frontage (3km away) carried by the wind. Quite a bit of property was lost on the other side. I had a lump in my throat the whole time.

Even now, when you go over there you can tell the areas that were burnt - the newer construction en masse is a telltale sign and the lack of any tall vegetation. Hastily built fire guards still exist, albeit now grown in with poplars and small spruce galore.
You've been thru it, it's not a fun situation. Like I mentioned, we've sadly become somewhat accustomed to these natural disasters. In 1997 there was a flood due to logging issues up top, and the rain and logs came a tumbling down. The whole community was evacuated by the RCMP and other volunteers, had to get up and go, couldn't take our dogs, left them in the bathtub, and quickly left in the cop SUV. We came back by boat the next day, and luckily the dogs were okay. Highway and all roads in our area were completely gone, lots of damage to homes, luckily ours was spared. Interestingly enough we ended up with a ton of beautiful sand in our yard. Was weeks before people without boats had access. Same thing happened in 2012, pretty much a mirror image. Apparently they've fixed the issue now, but guess we'll see. And then in 2021 the mountain literally right next to us was blazing, and we were on evacuation alert for a month, six water bombers were flying around all day, filling up in the lake, and then doing their drops. It was like something out of a movie. But we are stubborn, and come back each year, and still for the most part enjoy the summers, but each year the talks get more serious about selling. We have been looking at some Alberta mountain places if we do sell, but today those aren't exactly looking like better options.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
We kenneled our pup at the kennel on the south side of the tracks in that industrial area when we were there last year. They took all the dogs to Hinton when evacuating this week. It would be a miracle if that place is still there.

And when we brought our newborn home from Prince George we stayed at the maligne Lodge and she cried all night and we got no sleep. Will never forget that. Guess that's gone now.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The situation in Jasper is truly crushing, especially for those that call the park home and those whose businesses have been destroyed.

I spent a lot of time in Jasper when I was younger. Such a special place. I have not been there for years but I am now in Edmonton for three weeks on business and family issues. My wife and I had planned to take a few days and head out to Jasper as late as last Friday.
It is really awful. My wife and I were there in June and we played a round at JPL and spent a few days in and around Jasper. We had a conversation about how we both had so many memories and stories of Jasper from our childhood, and how Jasper was one of the best parts of coming back to Canada these days and how lucky we were to grow up so near to such a beautiful and historic site. I’m glad we took the time to appreciate it because just a few weeks later this has happened and it really puts into perspective not taking what you have for granted.

It’s a terrible tragedy but these situations have a way of bringing people together and we look forward to supporting the town and its people and businesses as they rebuild.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It is really awful. My wife and I were there in June and we played a round at JPL and spent a few days in and around Jasper. We had a conversation about how we both had so many memories and stories of Jasper from our childhood, and how Jasper was one of the best parts of coming back to Canada these days and how lucky we were to grow up so near to such a beautiful and historic site. I’m glad we took the time to appreciate it because just a few weeks later this has happened and it really puts into perspective not taking what you have for granted.

It’s a terrible tragedy but these situations have a way of bringing people together and we look forward to supporting the town and its people and businesses as they rebuild.
Sounds like JPL came away lucky. The latest report is some damage but the main building is intact. They will be reopening in the future.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That's what insurance is for.

Or well until insurance stops covering stuff like fires and floods due to climate change.
Won't always be able to count on insurance if this stuff keeps up. Insurance is to look after possibilities, not probabilities. And certainly not probabilities that keep happening every 2nd year or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad