Redo One Move From Your Team In The Last 20 Years

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Penguins...in retrospect, they should have protected Fleury in the expansion draft and let Vegas take Murray. Murray's play immediately started to degrade afterward, while Fleury was comparatively good for a few more seasons and even won a Vezina in Vegas. Goaltending issues cost the Penguins big in their last few playoff appearances. Letting Fleury go seemed like the right move at the time, but hindsight is 20/20.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Probably the biggest mistake the Leafs made in recent history was keeping Pogge and handing Rask to Boston. That's the do-over I would want.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
For the Kings, it has to be the promotion of Luc Robataille.

Anything pre-2014 doesn’t matter to me, because the Kings got a brilliant 3 year run out of everything that transpired.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
All of Brad Treliving's tenure.

Stepped into a rebuilding team with an unexpected blue chip prospect and the highest pick in franchise history. He led them into cap hell and alternated between making and missing the playoffs because of his shitty coaching hires and unilateral pro scouting

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
On 06-07 offseason, offering Briere a long term deal instead of Drury. Drury left anyway, and Briere wanted to stay. Vanek and Briere with Roy/Pominville/Connolly/Hecht is a solid top 6 and then you add Stafford/Gaustad/Kaleta to the bottom six. Fill in the final pieces, and now you have a team that with the Vezina level goaltending Miller provided in 10/11 the Sabres probably make a strong push.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: NVious
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
If that happened, does the team still draft Rantanen in 2015? Do they still implode in 2016-17 leading to drafting Makar? Does Duchene still request a trade? If everything doesn't happen the same way, do they still win the Cup?

To me, the safe choice is to just not trade for RyJo, even though he cost nothing.

I was thinking this as well. I think McAvoy over Jost would be my move, I think they still go Makar in 2017 even with McAvoy in hand.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Draft Forsberg instead of Derrick Pouliot.

Not sign Jack Johnson.

Hire Dubas sooner.
Pouliot instantly came to mind.

Firing Bylsma earlier and likely Shero earlier.

I wish Shero hadn't prioritized Parise and Suter in the 2012 off-season since we were left holding our dicks when they didn't come here.

Then there's a cluster of "i wish we didn't make that trade" but they all likely go away if we take Forsberg or fire Sheroylsma earlier.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Penguins...in retrospect, they should have protected Fleury in the expansion draft and let Vegas take Murray. Murray's play immediately started to degrade afterward, while Fleury was comparatively good for a few more seasons and even won a Vezina in Vegas. Goaltending issues cost the Penguins big in their last few playoff appearances. Letting Fleury go seemed like the right move at the time, but hindsight is 20/20.

Not sure whether it was the concussions or the death of his father…

…but Murray was never the same goalie after that.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Zadina over Hughes is the obvious one. So as an alternative I’d say forget about the playoff streak and mortgage the future to go all in for one more run at the Cup while the Wings still had Lidstrom, Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Many NYR fans will tell you it is the buchnevich trade. That sucked, but they are wrong.

Not keeping Antin Stralman was such a collossal f***up i can only convey the magnitude of it by resorting to old-timey words like “cyclopean.”

It wasn’t like we couldn’t see it coming either; the exploding stats revolution at the time had pretty much nailed the kings and blackhawks dynasties, and the numbers all pointed to Stralman as one of the best d-men in the league.

What a f***ing atrocious own goal that was.

ETA - if you don’t recall, Stralman went on to be a MONSTER in tb, and their absurd d corps led to them being one of the best teams in the east for what, 10 years?

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When Briere asked for five by five, give it to him. Drury then is less likely to get POd by how they were treating his teammate and perhaps stays or at least there is one of the co-caps left. The team has been on a very dark timeline since then.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I was thinking this as well. I think McAvoy over Jost would be my move, I think they still go Makar in 2017 even with McAvoy in hand.

That's a really good one. And McAvoy is a RHD, so they also probably still trade for Toews and still draft Byram, so the defense is still solid for the Cup run, even if they don't trade for Manson.

My only concern is that they might not draft Justin Barron in 2020, which could screw up the the Lehk trade.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hiring Jim Benning or something as small as healthy scratching Aaron Rome in game 3 of the 2011 Finals.
If your end goal is a move to help you win a Cup then there are moves like Kopitar in 2005 draft. Waiting on Mitchell health vs Ballard trade. Pushing their chips in from 2009-2012 and dealing their 1st rounders over that time as none of them panned out. Things like that.

Benning hire, rebuild would have been different from 2014-2021, but can't say for sure if they would be a top 3-5 cup contending team by now under someone else.

evdog

Oct 15, 2014
San diego
Instead of trading up for Biggs and drafting Percy, I would have taken Kucherov, Gaudreau and Trocheck....

Hindsight is so powerful.
Ha. Flames wanted to draft both Gaudreau and Kucherov. Rather than put them on their main draft list they had them as wild cards and would take them if available when the time was right. Like boneheads they passed on Kuch in the 2nd round and took Markus Granlund and Tyler Wotherspoon instead. TB scooped up Kuch immediately after Wotherspoon was selected. At least Flames got Gaudreau. But having both him and Kucherov would have been an amazing haul.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
That's a really good one. And McAvoy is a RHD, so they also probably still trade for Toews and still draft Byram, so the defense is still solid for the Cup run, even if they don't trade for Manson.

My only concern is that they might not draft Justin Barron in 2020, which could screw up the the Lehk trade.
If my team won the cup, I'm not messing with anything before that (butterfly effect).

Somebody mentioned not trading Thornton for literally nothing and all I thought was how the Bruins then used that money to sign Chara

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad