Rumor: Pens and Canucks talking trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I didn't say you were doing that, I said others were doing that. I understand that Boeser is better because he's an elite powerplay player and the Canucks don't need him. I just don't like people saying that Boeser is "miles better" when it's objectively false, or saying that Kapanen has no value (which was said earlier in the thread) or saying Kapanen is not a top-6 forward.

Fair enough. Regardless, I think a deal will potentially be made between the two teams, but on a far smaller scale. The Canucks would have some big interest in Matheson, Pettersson, or Doumolin as LD with Size, assuming that POJ is ready to step in. Boyle or McGinn would also be of huge interest as the could sure up our PK.

I'd be curious what the ask/availability would be on those guys

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
Miller + Myers (2M retained) for Kapanen + Marino as a base

Canucks
- get a player in Kapanen that for all his warts still has immense potential due to his elite toolbox and flashes of brilliant play (hence GMJR's endless and ongoing infatuation of him)
- get considerably younger at both positions which makes sense for their current trajectory
- have more cost control at both positions, essentially end up paying Kap (4.2M) and Marino (5.4M) an extra 1M for 3 years which is perfectly reasonable price points for both so the retention isn't too hard to stomach either, especially considering they're replacing a 6M Myers with a much better younger player in Marino at 5.4M
- finally get a young cost controlled at a reasonable number defensive RHD to partner with their more offensive LHD, which is a commodity that lets face it is incredibly difficult to obtain

Penguins
- get a player in Miller that complements their system/team and maybe Malkin in particular (even down to the fact that he can take Malkins faceoffs for him, not to mention mirror his bull in a China shop playing style), hes big and fast and seems to spark competitive drive in his high skill linemates (again, seem like a good guy for Geno ya think?)
- get a player in Myers that is honestly a big risk especially since hes replacing a better, younger, more cost controlled player that we already know works as our 2nd pair anchor, but he has the chance to maybe look a like a better player in a good system with a steady partner and insulated a bit more than he was in Vancouver, at a reasonable number (4M) for a second pair guy, plus even though it makes some people roll their eyes hes big as hell (and still a decent skater) which a segment of our fanbase and front office are thirsty for
- we get older and less cost controlled at both positions but despite what misguided segments of our fanbase think, we are Win Now. If this team has even a chance at making the playoffs and going multiple rounds while you still have a productive Sid and Geno you f***ing go for it. Simple as. And the front office seems to know that too.

Despite all that I actually don't know whether I would do this myself. Its obviously risky. All the evidence we currently have points to Miller being far and away better than Kapanen. But we caught glimpes of a player last year when Kap played with Malkin of what he could be. His toolbox is tantalizing. Its maybe irrational but I would be kind of scared to deal him. Same with Marino too to a certain extent. What he showed his rookie season was borderline number 1 D stuff. Hes regained form enough to look like a solid defenseman but if he ever reaches his rookie form this deal would be an absolute disaster. Which is all the reasoning that GMJR would likely be operating under as he did a deal like this. He believes incredibly strongly in Kapanen and Marino's potential. Which is why I could see something similar to the above deal happening.

Last edited:

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I wonder if the Canucks would be looking to replace Juolevi with another D prospect. Could be P.O. Joseph is interesting to the Canucks?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
You do realize it was the Pens who traded Pearson to the Canucks? They've already tried the change of scenery with him
yeah, and Pearson was really effective for the Canucks the year he was acquired and the year after but has now tailed off. Maybe he's one of those guys that needs a refresh every once in a while. He's still under 30 yrs old so its not like he's a 35 yr old and is tailing off due mostly to age.
again, this wasnt an idea that i think both teams would love...but i could actually see it providing some net positive utility to both teams if both players pick up their games once traded

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

Canucks
- get a player in Kapanen that for all his warts still has immense potential due to his elite toolbox and flashes of brilliant play (hence GMJR's endless and ongoing infatuation of him)
- get considerably younger at both positions which makes sense for their current trajectory
- have more cost control at both positions, essentially end up paying Kap (4.2M) and Marino (5.4M) an extra 1M for 3 years which is perfectly reasonable price points for both so the retention isn't too hard to stomach either, especially considering they're replacing a 6M Myers with a much better younger player in Marino at 5.4M
- finally get a young cost controlled at a reasonable number defensive RHD to partner with their more offensive LHD, which is a commodity that lets face it is incredibly difficult to obtain

Penguins
- get a player in Miller that complements their system/team and maybe Malkin in particular (even down to the fact that he can take Malkins faceoffs for him, not to mention mirror his bull in a China shop playing style), hes big and fast and seems to spark competitive drive in his high skill linemates (again, seem like a good guy for Geno ya think?)
- get a player in Myers that is honestly a big risk especially since hes replacing a better, younger, more cost controlled player that we already know works as our 2nd pair anchor, but he has the chance to maybe look a like a better player in a good system with a steady partner and insulated a bit more than he was in Vancouver, at a reasonable number (4M) for a second pair guy, plus even though it makes some people roll their eyes hes big as hell (and still a decent skater) which a segment of our fanbase and front office are thirsty for
- we get older and less cost controlled at both positions but despite what misguided segments of our fanbase think, we are Win Now. If this team has even a chance at making the playoffs and going multiple rounds while you still have a productive Sid and Geno you f***ing go for it. Simple as. And the front office seems to know that too.

Despite all that I actually don't know whether I would do this myself. Its obviously risky. All the evidence we currently have points to Miller being far and away better than Kapanen. But we caught glimpes of a player last year when Kap played with Malkin of what he could be. His toolbox is tantalizing. Its maybe irrational but I would be kind of scared to deal him. Same with Marino too to a certain extent. What he showed his rookie season was borderline number 1 D stuff. Hes regained form enough to look like a solid defenseman but if he ever reaches his rookie form this deal would be an absolute disaster. Which is all the reasoning that GMJR would likely be operating under as he did a deal like this. He believes incredibly strongly in Kapanen and Marino's potential. Which is why I could see something similar to the above deal happening.
Canucks fan here.
This isn't bad! Gotta give props where they're due.
However, at face value and no adjustments i would probably pass on the deal. Myers has quietly solidifed himself here as a solid no.4 guy. That may be a bit of an unpopular opinion as he carries a stigma due to his cap hit but the player he is now is nothing like he was the first year on the Canucks. This, combined with the fact that Jt. Miller could probably get a kings ransom at the deadline pushes this proposal outside of my comfort zone.
Jt. Miller is a PPG forward who can play all three forward positions and is like 56% or so in the dot. 56% corsi ... he hits, plays in all thee zones..... When you consider that, then look at what lesser forwards return YOY at the deadline... i'd probably take my chances going that direction. I like Marino a lot but i don't think its enough to sway this into a yes from me. If this is the Myers from his first year on Van..then i would probably do this deal as it would be closer to fair value. But he's actually getting better...which is a legit surprise to me... and such a blessing considering the term of his contract and how bad he was year 1.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So apparently Canucks fans can say Boeser is a 65+ point player, despite Boeser never hitting 60 points in a season, but me saying Kapanen is a 45-50 point player is a big f***ing problem all of a sudden.
Lol you didn't just say Kapanen is a 45-50 point player though. You said he is "at worst" a 45-50 point player. That just sounds ridiculously dumb... saying someone is "at worst" something they have never done.

Reactions: Ita and Bankerguy

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Okay? I'm saying that Kapanen has shown that he can click with a star center and elevate into a guy who can put up 60 points per 82 games.

But yes, continue making up stupid strawman arguments.
Lol this "click with a star" garbage again?? A fancy way of saying "he can get carried by Crosby or Malkin".

Reactions: Auston Escobar

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Canucks

Penguins

I would consider it.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Any trade here will involve Rutherford penguin guys not hextalls.
That rules out McGinn
Cant see rhem shipping out Marino or pettersen for that matter unless it involves Myers coming back.
A more realistic option is zucker plus going back for BB or Miller.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
If Tyler Myers wasn't such a trainwreck defensively, I'd actually have a moderate amount of interest in a Zucker for Myers swap with the Canucks retaining a bit to make the dollars more even. If Myers was competent defensively, I think he'd fit well with Pettersson on the Penguins 2nd pair.

But he is a trainwreck defensively, so it's a moot point.

He has played as a different D man since the coaching change, been playing great for us.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Canucks

Penguins

I'd have to think long and hard about it but I think the big one here for me is that I'm not sure we get stronger here and now so much as shuffle the deck chairs. If the aim is win now, we need to shuffle a few prospects and picks over rather than give up important players to get potentially important players.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Fair enough. Regardless, I think a deal will potentially be made between the two teams, but on a far smaller scale. The Canucks would have some big interest in Matheson, Pettersson, or Doumolin as LD with Size, assuming that POJ is ready to step in. Boyle or McGinn would also be of huge interest as the could sure up our PK.

I'd be curious what the ask/availability would be on those guys
matheson can be had.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

Canucks

Penguins

It's not a bad proposal but too much retention on Myers IMO. Canucks need $ for raises on Boeser and Horvat. 1M retained?

I really don't want to see Miller go, but it's for the right package I would be OK with it.

Admittedly I have not seen much of Kapanen...

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
At this point Miller is basically untradeable. Maybe revisit anything involving him at the trade deadline or next summer. The Canucks top forward when things were going badly, and their best forward during this streak. He is what we hoped EP would be this year.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Myers has completely turned it around under bruce, i would be hesitant to trade him atm

He is playing the best he has in his career

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Myers has completely turned it around under bruce, i would be hesitant to trade him atm

He is playing the best he has in his career
As much as Id like to trade Myers at probably his peak value right now, we simply lack so many RD right now, and with recent injuries/covid its nearly impossible to fill his shoes on the team.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
With how Boudreau's (BRUCE, there it is!) turned things around, nobody should be getting moved from Vancouver's core, and there's many contributing vets who I'd be hesitant to move even.

Untouchables: Demko, Hughes, Petey, Garland (really liking his play and edginess, plus his contract is as steal)
Overpay if you want them: Hoglander, Podkolzin, Horvat, Miller, Boeser (looking MUCH better lately), Myers (as mentioned, his play has improved significantly under Boudreau)
Not looking to trade: OEL (he and Hughes munch up so many defensive minutes, they're carrying with Myers lately due to the untimely combo of injuries and COVID -- they each played close to 25 minutes last night), Schenn (low-cost, effective partner for Hughes), Halak (no need to when he's doing just fine for backup), Pearson (gelling with Miller/ Boeser)
Open for business: Poolman (doing fine but not really worth the $2.5 million), Hamonic (small sample size due to vaxx status but Schenn brings what he brings at a fraction of cost), Motte (if he gets a Coleman/ Goodrow-esque return I hope we trade him), Dickinson (I'll give him credit, he's getting better), depth

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad