Rumor: Pens and Canucks talking trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
Crosby, Malkin, Letang all past their prime. Cup window is clearly closed after losing in the first round for the last 3 years with many more dominant teams in the east getting stronger each year. They should be trying to rebuild and get as many picks as they can for those three while they still can instead of trying to beat a dead horse like other teams have done in the past with their old cores.

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
How attached to Halak are you? We could use a veteran to back up Jarry who could step in if he falters again. Halak is a pending UFA with a potentially stomach-able cap hit.

Reactions: KrisLeturnover

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
He is on a cheap 1 yr deal no? Doubt Colorado trades the depth but if they did he could fill a 3rd pair LHD role and PK?
JMFJ is an abomination. Avs have done a better job hiding/protecting than the Rangers/Penguins/CBJs, but it is an illusion. He is awful. On another note, do you know Justin Schultz? Did you see the Cup?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Easily available for a draft pick in my books anyway
In that case, this is the deal I see as most likely between the two clubs. Otherwise it's not a match on needs and assets.

Halak for DeSmith and a pick? We could also just bury DeSmith if that's a deal breaker. GMJR knows the player though so I assume he would take him.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Zucker... ugh. Not ideal... maybe if we send over Pearson. Two players that could use a change of scenery. Zucker has a higher cap hit but Pearson has an extra year.
Meh, both teams prob hate it

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Canucks fans - did it ever really get established who the problem child in the lockerroom was/is?

No it's not. That is thread ruining valuation of players. Glad you like JT Miller. He's great and he'd be a great addition for the Penguins. But you're not getting a 1st and 2nd on top of a player like Kapanen. You're just not. Like, suggest ANY trade where a player like Miller got that return.

Like, all things considered, that's roughly the price tag Vegas just paid for Jack Eichel. Miller ain't Eichel.

I actually disagree quite a bit. I think we make good trading partners. Both sides have pieces that should interest the other.

If they want Marino, I could see a Henrique for Vatanen like swap around Horvat and Marino.

I can see Miller for a Zucker+ or Kapanen+ or Rust package.

I could see similar packages for Brock Boeser. Like Rust+conditional pick based on him resigning for Miller or Boeser.

Pass on all of those, Marino would be great, but not at the expense of Horvat.

The other two trades absolutely not, players we don't need, if we trade Miller it should be for futures or blue line, that's it.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You've had 2 people say Kapanen was redundant in Vancouver (despite him fitting literally every single bullet point mentioned in the OP) and you also had someone else suggest the Canucks would put no value on Kapanen whatsoever.

That seems to be pretty clearly pretending Kapanen is a nothing asset.

Boeser got 681 powerplay minutes from 2018-2020. Kapanen got 212.

Boeser is a better powerplay player, and you can see that from their per 60 production on the powerplay (3.8 for Boeser, 2.0 for Kapanen). But it's not an apples to apples comparison, because Kapanen doesn't get the same minutes with the same caliber of teammates on the powerplay that Boeser has received.

Saying someone is redundant and saying they have no value are two different things, you know that right? We have enough top 6 wingers, we need futures and blue line, no Kap should not be a target, by saying that, I am not saying he sucks, or that no teams want him or that he stinks, or that he is a "nothing asset" just simply not a player I would target if I were the Canucks.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Zucker... ugh. Not ideal... maybe if we send over Pearson. Two players that could use a change of scenery. Zucker has a higher cap hit but Pearson has an extra year.

I would do it if the cap hit was even in a trade involving those 2 guys as the main players involved

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

You do realize it was the Pens who traded Pearson to the Canucks? They've already tried the change of scenery with him

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Don't really see it. Not many options make mutual sense here, I think. Maybe if Vancouver keeps riding the Boudreau train to really sniffing the playoffs, then you can never discount JR's gambler mentality to take hold.
In any event, I don't see us paying what Vancouver would like for the pieces we could be interested in. On the other hand JR might well overpay to get someone on the Pens that he is fond of. After all, overpaying IS what he does.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Don't really see it. Not many options make mutual sense here, I think. Maybe if Vancouver keeps riding the Boudreau train to really sniffing the playoffs, then you can never discount JR's gambler mentality to take hold.
In any event, I don't see us paying what Vancouver would like for the pieces we could be interested in. On the other hand JR might well overpay to get someone on the Pens that he is fond of. After all, overpaying IS what he does.
For the Pens, the obvious holes on the roster are:
- A 2nd line (Guentzel, Malkin and Rust are injured) and this will take care of itself in time
- Backup goalie
- #3 RD (I don't trust Ruhwedel over an entire season)

The only one of those issues I see Van able to help us with is Goalie, so I see Halak as the move and nothing more.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
In that case, this is the deal I see as most likely between the two clubs. Otherwise it's not a match on needs and assets.

Halak for DeSmith and a pick? We could also just bury DeSmith if that's a deal breaker. GMJR knows the player though so I assume he would take him.
Halak for a 3rd or 4th imo

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Dipietro is having a down year, and who are people trying to fool here? Halak has a horrible contract. Do Pens fans want to have Halak's bonuses count against the cap next season?

" the bonuses in his contract are incredibly attainable. Halak's deal includes a $1.25 million bonus for appearing in at least 10 games, and another $250,000 bonus for owning a save percentage above . 905"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Tyler Myers wasn't such a trainwreck defensively, I'd actually have a moderate amount of interest in a Zucker for Myers swap with the Canucks retaining a bit to make the dollars more even. If Myers was competent defensively, I think he'd fit well with Pettersson on the Penguins 2nd pair.

But he is a trainwreck defensively, so it's a moot point.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I honestly don't think these two teams are good trading partners.
Just kicking tires due to past relationships I am guessing. Probably an exercise in evaluating one's owns assets rather than really working out a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad