Rumor: Pens and Canucks talking trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If Tyler Myers wasn't such a trainwreck defensively, I'd actually have a moderate amount of interest in a Zucker for Myers swap with the Canucks retaining a bit to make the dollars more even. If Myers was competent defensively, I think he'd fit well with Pettersson on the Penguins 2nd pair.

But he is a trainwreck defensively, so it's a moot point.
We don't need Zucker and Myers has actually been a horse for us since Bruce arrived. No thanks but I'm not against moving Myers at all just not for Zucker.

Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Dipietro is having a down year, and who are people trying to fool here? Halak has a horrible contract. Do Pens fans want to have Halak's bonuses count against the cap next season?

" the bonuses in his contract are incredibly attainable. Halak's deal includes a $1.25 million bonus for appearing in at least 10 games, and another $250,000 bonus for owning a save percentage above . 905"
Fair play, that might become a problem. The Pens cap situation for next season is really murky with guys like Malkin, Letang and Rust becoming UFAs. Could end up really tight against the cap, or could end up with 10's of millions to play with. We will see.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How do you even say this with a straight face?

He’s at worse a 45-50 points player when his career high is 44 points?

Literally every full season of his career has been at minimum a 45 point pace. Or is it somehow his fault that COVID hit in 2020?

Lol…. I agree I think at best he’s a complimentary 3rd liner.

And you'd be wrong. I already posted the numbers that show he and Boeser are effectively equal in terms of ES production.

But I find it hilarious for how all of the Penguins players stink and all of the Canucks players are great, despite the Penguins being good and the Canucks being bad.

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Literally every full season of his career has been at minimum a 45 point pace. Or is it somehow his fault that COVID hit in 2020?

And you'd be wrong. I already posted the numbers that show he and Boeser are effectively equal in terms of ES production.

But I find it hilarious for how all of the Penguins players stink and all of the Canucks players are great, despite the Penguins being good and the Canucks being bad.
Pace means **** all when he repeatedly doesn’t even break 45 points. Actual results is what matters. Nobody said the Penguins players “stink” you’re just acting like Kapanen is some first line consistent 50-60 point winger which he’s not. Also Canucks being bad comment is hilarious. Come back to this post come February and see where we are in the standings. Just because a team is bad doesn’t mean the players on the team are all ****

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Why are you pushing Kapanen so hard? Yes, he is a fine young player, but does nothing to fill any sort of need for the Canucks. If the Canucks are dealing one of their best tradeable assets, it will be to fill a need, not for a downgrade and picks. Nor would you likely take Tanner Pearson and picks for kapanen.

JT Miller and Brock Boeser are far better wingers than Kapanen, because yes, PP production does matter. Boeser is 65+ point player over the course of his career, Miller has been PPG since he joined the Canucks. Kapenen has been a 40 point player since coming in to the league, or 55 points in a very small sample since coming to Pittsburgh. That is not the same.

Yes, the Penguins are a better team right now, but that does not change the fact that the 2 Canucks players here are better than Kapanen. We have good wingers, adding another at the cost of our better ones makes no sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pace means **** all when he repeatedly doesn’t even break 45 points. Actual results is what matters. Nobody said the Penguins players “stink” you’re just acting like Kapanen is some first line consistent 50-60 point winger which he’s not. Also Canucks being bad comment is hilarious. Come back to this post come February and see where we are in the standings. Just because a team is bad doesn’t mean the players on the team are all ****

I guess it's his fault that COVID happened. God dammit Kapanen, it's all your fault!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why are you pushing Kapanen so hard? Yes, he is a fine young player, but does nothing to fill any sort of need for the Canucks. If the Canucks are dealing one of their best tradeable assets, it will be to fill a need, not for a downgrade and picks. Nor would you likely take Tanner Pearson and picks for kapanen.

JT Miller and Brock Boeser are far better wingers than Kapanen, because yes, PP production does matter. Boeser is 65+ point player over the course of his career, Miller has been PPG since he joined the Canucks. Kapenen has been a 40 point player since coming in to the league, or 55 points in a very small sample since coming to Pittsburgh. That is not the same.

Yes, the Penguins are a better team right now, but that does not change the fact that the 2 Canucks players here are better than Kapanen. We have good wingers, adding another at the cost of our better ones makes no sense.

So apparently Canucks fans can say Boeser is a 65+ point player, despite Boeser never hitting 60 points in a season, but me saying Kapanen is a 45-50 point player is a big f***ing problem all of a sudden.

From 2018-2019 to 2020-2021:

Kapanen: 33 goals and 86 points at 5v5 in 187 games, 2.10 5v5 points/60 overall
Boeser: 37 goals and 87 points at 5v5 in 182 games, 2.03 5v5 points/60 overall

It's fine to say Boeser is better because he does produce more (due to extra powerplay minutes), but to act like Kapanen is somehow nothing special while Boeser is this amazingly valuable asset is just hilarious homerism.

BOESER IS A 65+ POINT PLAYER THAT IS WAY BETTER THAN KAPANEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He’s never broken 44 points so how on earth can you call him a 50-60 point player? Lmaooo.

Boeser has never broken 56 points so how on earth can you call him a 65+ point player? Lmaooooo.

Boeser is miles better than Kapanen.

Only if you're a Canucks homer, which seems to be pretty clearly the case.

But yes, "my guy is way better despite results suggesting otherwise" seems to be the MO of Canucks fans in this thread.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
So apparently Canucks fans can say Boeser is a 65+ point player, despite Boeser never hitting 60 points in a season, but me saying Kapanen is a 45-50 point player is a big f***ing problem all of a sudden.

BOESER IS A 65+ POINT PLAYER THAT IS WAY BETTER THAN KAPANEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? I used averages for both players, and used a very favorable one for Kapanen. Not sure why you are tying me to other posters.

Yes, Brock Boeser is a better overall player than Kapanen, because yes, PP points do count. Kapanen would not be on our first unit, and maybe not even on our 2nd. Boeser earned those roles, Kapenen has not. No, that is not trashing Kapenen, he is a fine young player, who does fine in his role.

Regardless, Kapanen does nothing for this team, as he does not fill any voids on the roster. Again, not sure why you are pushing him so hard here.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
It's almost like Kapanen was on pace for 60 points last year while playing with Malkin, showing what he could be while clicking with a star player.

Yet Kapanen is still producing at identical ES levels even if you take out those two years.

In fact, if you only look at the last 2 years, Kapanen blows Boeser out of the water in terms of ES production.
This year Conor Garland is out producing Connor McDavid 5v5 by 1 point............

Reactions: Ita

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Huh? I used averages for both players, and used a very favorable one for Kapanen. Not sure why you are tying me to other posters.

Yes, Brock Boeser is a better overall player than Kapanen, because yes, PP points do count. Kapanen would not be on our first unit, and maybe not even on our 2nd. Boeser earned those roles, Kapenen has not. No, that is not trashing Kapenen, he is a fine young player, who does fine in his role.

Regardless, Kapanen does nothing for this team, as he does not fill any voids on the roster. Again, not sure why you are pushing him so hard here.

Why are you including Kapanen from before 2018? He was used as a 4th liner/AHLer from ages 19 to 21.

Since 2018-2019, Kapanen has a 48 point pace per 82 games, with having 126 points in 215 games. That's why I called him a 45-50 point guy, because he's been pretty consistently hovering around that pace for the last 4 seasons. I have no problem with saying Boeser is better because he's such a good powerplay player, I have a problem with people in this thread talking down on Kapanen and acting like Boeser is massively better. Which is what I literally said in the post comparing their 5v5 production.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This year Conor Garland is out producing Connor McDavid 5v5 by 1 point............

Okay? I'm saying that Kapanen has shown that he can click with a star center and elevate into a guy who can put up 60 points per 82 games.

But yes, continue making up stupid strawman arguments.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Okay? I'm saying that Kapanen has shown that he can click with a star center and elevate into a guy who can put up 60 points per 82 games.

But yes, continue making up stupid strawman arguments.
No you pointed out that Kapanen and Boeser have similar 5v5 stats and that Boeser only produces better because of his PP time. You were not saying that Kap showed the potential to be able to play with high skilled players.

my point was taking 1 isolated stat does not tell the whole picture. If you were too daft to understand that point - that's on you, I'm sure others picked up on the logic behind my response.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
my point was taking 1 isolated stat does not tell the whole picture. If you were too daft to understand that point - that's on you, I'm sure others picked up on the logic behind my response.

How is looking at 5v5 production over a 4 year sample size "taking 1 isolated stat"? Want me to compare their analytics too? Spoiler alert, that doesn't look super favorable for Boeser either.

Boeser and Kapanen are pretty much indistinguishable at 5v5, while Boeser is a borderline elite powerplay player and Kapanen isn't. Boeser is better, but to act like there's this massive cavern between the two is just objectively false.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Boeser has never broken 56 points so how on earth can you call him a 65+ point player? Lmaooooo.

Only if you're a Canucks homer, which seems to be pretty clearly the case.

But yes, "my guy is way better despite results suggesting otherwise" seems to be the MO of Canucks fans in this thread.
Didn’t call him that once but okay. Kapanen also plays with Sidney Crosby. Kapanen is a fantastic 3rd line winger or complimentary winger to a star center. He’s not on Boesers level who drives the play.
Boeser is double the player Kapanen is I don’t know how this is even a discussion :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Didn’t call him that once but okay. Kapanen also plays with Sidney Crosby.
Boeser is double the player Kapanen is I don’t know how this is even a discussion :laugh:

Really showing you don't have a clue with what you're talking about.

Kapanen has played like at most a dozen games with Crosby in his entire career.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Why are you including Kapanen from before 2018? He was used as a 4th liner/AHLer from ages 19 to 21.

Since 2018-2019, Kapanen has a 48 point pace per 82 games, with having 126 points in 215 games. That's why I called him a 45-50 point guy, because he's been pretty consistently hovering around that pace for the last 4 seasons. I have no problem with saying Boeser is better because he's such a good powerplay player, I have a problem with people in this thread talking down on Kapanen and acting like Boeser is massively better. Which is what I literally said in the post comparing their 5v5 production.

I also simply used the PPG game for Kapenen for only his time in Pittsburgh, which is more than fair and relevant. That is a 55 point pace.

I've never once "talked down" on Kapenen in any of my posts. He is a good player, but the areas that the Canucks have strength are on the wings, LD, and in goal. I'm simply saying that he is not a piece that solves any issues for us (RD, Size/Grit), and would not be a target in a deal for Boeser or Miller.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Can we move on from the kapanen discussion? Canucks need top 4 RHD. Don’t think pens and Canucks are good trade partners. If penguins want depth options or a vet backup goalie then cool. But don’t see a basis here for Miller/Boeser.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also simply used the PPG game for Kapenen for only his time in Pittsburgh, which is more than fair and relevant. That is a 55 point pace.

I've never once "talked down" on Kapenen in any of my posts. He is a good player, but the areas that the Canucks have strength are on the wings, LD, and in goal. I'm simply saying that he is not a piece that solves any issues for us (RD, Size/Grit), and would not be a target in a deal for Boeser or Miller.

I didn't say you were doing that, I said others were doing that. I understand that Boeser is better because he's an elite powerplay player and the Canucks don't need him. I just don't like people saying that Boeser is "miles better" when it's objectively false, or saying that Kapanen has no value (which was said earlier in the thread) or saying Kapanen is not a top-6 forward.

Reactions: Boondock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad