Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Also from that Friedman's 32 thoughts, it sounds like other teams are expecting the Canes to re-sign Guentzel and the moves Vancouver made in the past few days may have been in response to Vancouver expecting Guentzel to no longer be an option for them.

Canucks reportedly would go after Reinhart if they couldn’t get Guentzel

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I want to post this in the Gibson to Wings thread but Ducks fans are just going to spazz out about "REE SERAVALLI HATES GIBSON" or "REE SERAVALLI DOESN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE DUCKS"

Ducks fans who love Gibson are arguably the most delusional hockey fans out there.

At our home game the crowd chanted “We want Fleury”.

He was on the bench……for Minnesota 😂

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I'd join Gurgs on the anti-Dubas train if this team trades for John Gibson

1719589498468.jpeg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
At this point, if you want a goalie, the odds are you look at FA first and trade second. It's a double edge sword and a shitty situation to be in because here are your options, more or less:

1. Free agent - Career backup goalie that you HOPE is ready for a starting role. You are likely paying starting wages for a backup goalie.
2. Free agent - Over-the-hill veteran goalie that you HOPE can maintain an acceptable level of play for a season. Might come cheap.
3. Trade - Here you are looking at a pricey goalie that you HOPE can refind his game. This is the Gibson, Jarry, Husso, Korpisalo, etc area. Teams willing to make the trade will either want a positive asset or they might be willing to go cheap if the team takes the full hit.

The goalie market is shit. If it's going to be shit, may as well be cheap shit.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Really excited to see some of the contracts that are going to be handed out on Monday. GMs finally have some cap to work with so I think theres gonna be some absolute stinkers given out. Guys like Zadarov and Tanev immediately come to mind.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Really excited to see some of the contracts that are going to be handed out on Monday. GMs finally have some cap to work with so I think theres gonna be some absolute stinkers given out. Guys like Zadarov and Tanev immediately come to mind.

Just wait until you see what Kindergarten Kyle signs.

Beauvillier for 3 mil x 2.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Pesce is the guy I think will break the bank and look like a mistake by January.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly don't even think that Jarry falls in the "hope he refinds his game". His issue is that his contract is gross. He's a perfectly mid starting goalie that has had 2 perfectly mid seasons in each of the last 2 years. It's just that you're getting that with 4 years at over $5 million left.

Someone on the trade boards described it really well:

It’s the “we aren’t gonna go cheap and we aren’t gonna go big and we aren’t gonna go short-term” special.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Pesce is still an incredibly underrated defenseman. His injury this season was a clean break of his fibula. Sounds painful, but probably not debilitating moving forward.

If I were a team looking for a RD, he would be my top choice. My second choice is probably Jani Hakanpaa. So underrated defensively, too.

Matt Roy is good but will get paid too much, almost surely. Brandon Montour is the guy I feel is going to get way overpaid and look absolutely terrible a year or two down the line.

As for Chris Tanev, watch Ottawa. They have wanted him since the deadline. They are going to overpay in terms of both term and AAV. I am waiting for it.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
At this point, if you want a goalie, the odds are you look at FA first and trade second. It's a double edge sword and a shitty situation to be in because here are your options, more or less:

1. Free agent - Career backup goalie that you HOPE is ready for a starting role. You are likely paying starting wages for a backup goalie.
2. Free agent - Over-the-hill veteran goalie that you HOPE can maintain an acceptable level of play for a season. Might come cheap.
3. Trade - Here you are looking at a pricey goalie that you HOPE can refind his game. This is the Gibson, Jarry, Husso, Korpisalo, etc area. Teams willing to make the trade will either want a positive asset or they might be willing to go cheap if the team takes the full hit.

The goalie market is shit. If it's going to be shit, may as well be cheap shit.
I'd agree with you if still trying to win was wise in our situation.
But option 4 is best. You hope that the new starter is awful so our asset pool is in a much stronger place by this time next year.
As long as it's a short-term contract, all good.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Pesce is still an incredibly underrated defenseman. His injury this season was a clean break of his fibula. Sounds painful, but probably not debilitating moving forward.

If I were a team looking for a RD, he would be my top choice. My second choice is probably Jani Hakanpaa. So underrated defensively, too.

Matt Roy is good but will get paid too much, almost surely. Brandon Montour is the guy I feel is going to get way overpaid and look absolutely terrible a year or two down the line.

As for Chris Tanev, watch Ottawa. They have wanted him since the deadline. They are going to overpay in terms of both term and AAV. I am waiting for it.

The noise around Chris Tanev makes it seem like he’s going to be the most overpaid player ever 😂

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd agree with you if still trying to win was wise in our situation.
But option 4 is best. You hope that the new starter is awful so our asset pool is in a much stronger place by this time next year.
As long as it's a short-term contract, all good.

Gibson is signed for 3 more years at $6.4 million, so he's not a "short term contract"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad