Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Canucks are going to crash so hard next year.

It's hilarious how many people aren't seeing the mirage that was this season there.

So few people look at things without actual context and just what recently happened.

The benefit to playing there is that JR will give you endless cash and Vancouver is a top city in North America.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Canucks are going to crash so hard next year.

It's hilarious how many people aren't seeing the mirage that was this season there.

So few people look at things without actual context and just what recently happened.

The benefit to playing there is that JR will give you endless cash and Vancouver is a top city in North America.
So are the Canes, losing who they are.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Guentzel has been underpaid his entire career, the extra money from Carolina being able to offer an 8th year is likely worth more than playing on a "better" team on a 7 year deal. Even if we want to pretend the Canucks are "better" than the Canes.
Jake is a prime candidate to sign a lifestyle contract. He's been underpaid and he's already won a ring. I hope he gets a massive payday from someone that isn't the Penguins.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Stamkos-Crosby-Arvidsson
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
OC-Ponomarev or Yager-Kane
Duhaime-Eller-Acciari

You’re welcome Dubas.

Allegedly there is a ton of interest around RV. Can't overpay him.

Jarry trade can't happen without Ned signed first. Knowing Dubas yes you're right, but still, he has that card to play if he can find the trade

I guess. I don't see the two being linked.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To expand on that Seravalli report about Gibson:

And yes, the term is long, but bigger guys tend to age pretty well in the NHL. When it comes to John Gibson, I would love to never talk about him again personally. Here's the problem with that.

No one, no one wants him.

So I followed up on this again yesterday. I think there were some talks earlier in the week between Anaheim and Detroit. Not saying it's dead, but that's, that was the exact reply I got yesterday.

Anything going on with John Gibson? No one wants him.

I think it's a combination of what Anaheim wants for him (good return with minimal retention apparently) while other teams view Gibson as more of a reclamation project. I don't know why Anaheim doesn't just want to get out of Gibson's deal entirely, he's terrible for them, but it does seem like he's not getting moved.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Canes still have their core group.

Keeping Guentzel and flipping Necas gives them plenty of assets and cap to be competitive.

They also have several high impact prospects coming through.
They are losing 4/5 key pieces. They also need to sign Jarvis. They are taking hits both at forward and defense. Jake takes them down to 13.0 to fill out the rest of the roster.

It is all relative. They are not a Guentzel away from a cup with how much changeover is goin' on. Those prospects are no guarantee.

Losing TT, Necas, DeAngelo, Pesce and Skjei is a lot of depth possibly more.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Image-5-26-22-at-9.43-PM-980x701.jpg

Saw this post regarding the value of every pick in the draft. Based on intuition it feels like two picks in the 40s is better than one in the mid-late 20s but this analysis doesnt support that. Pick 24 would be a bit more valuable than the Pen's two second round picks. The analysis probably misses some nuance with draft strengths though. In a draft like this years. the separation between 20-50 seems to be very minimal.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not really impressed by the Canes tbh. I think Brind'Amour's overrated, I don't think they have that star scoring punch teams need to make it to the SCF, and I think their goaltending's suspect. They're also about to lose Necas for an undetermined return, so unless they flip what they get for a replacement, that's more offense lost. I dunno, they're much better than the Pens but I don't think they're gonna challenge for a Cup anytime soon--particularly if they cave and give Jake some kinda $70+M deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I want Guentzel to:

1. Get paid huge money because he deserves it.
2. Don't go to a team I hate

Him getting the bag and staying with Carolina meets both of those, so I'm happy with that outcome.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Stamkos-Crosby-Arvidsson
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
OC-Ponomarev or Yager-Kane
Duhaime-Eller-Acciari

You’re welcome Dubas.

Stamkos-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
O'Connor-Ponomarev/Yager-N. Robertson
Puljujarvi-Poulin/Ponomarev-Puustinen
Acciari

I don't want Arvidsson. The Hornqvist comparables include injuries. No thanks.
I love Patrick Kane but it is not happening.
Duhaime will have a stupid market on July 1.

Trade Jarry to Toronto for N. Robertson and Ty Voit (smallish Pittsburgh native, great OHL career, long-term project).

Trade R. Smith to LA for a pick.

Trade Eller to Buffalo for a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad