Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Time to assemble Bunting-Kadri-Malkin for the worlds most annoying penalty taking line and get a pick back in the process.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Image-5-26-22-at-9.43-PM-980x701.jpg

Saw this post regarding the value of every pick in the draft. Based on intuition it feels like two picks in the 40s is better than one in the mid-late 20s but this analysis doesnt support that. Pick 24 would be a bit more valuable than the Pen's two second round picks. The analysis probably misses some nuance with draft strengths though. In a draft like this years. the separation between 20-50 seems to be very minimal.
that is in general. but it has no connection with this year.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm akin it to like Carolina signing Jake allows TT to shake loose. Those kind of deals.

TT is alright I suppose. He's gonna be like... what... 5-6M over at least 4 years? And is solidly an unremarkable though fine enough middle six wing already pushin' 30 with his best years likely behind him. Sounds like the Penguins, to me.

I'm just glad we can now confirm that the Carolina Hurricanes have won the trade!

#HAUL

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's crazy that Guentzel only wanted 8x8 to re-sign. I'm not upset with the trade, but I think the case to keep Guentzel was substantially stronger if that was all he was asking for.

I think the Penguins could have feasibly gotten him for something like 8x7.5 to stay in Pittsburgh

Sideline

May 23, 2004
That's crazy that Guentzel only wanted 8x8 to re-sign. I'm not upset with the trade, but I think the case to keep Guentzel was substantially stronger if that was all he was asking for.

I think the Penguins could have feasibly gotten him for something like 8x7.5 to stay in Pittsburgh
It's entirely possible he's willing to take less for nice weather and a winning team.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's entirely possible he's willing to take less for nice weather and a winning team.

He allegedly loved Pittsburgh so I don't see it as much of a leap to suggest he would have taken the same or less with Pittsburgh.

I also don't think Charlotte, NC is particularly "nice weather" either, at least to a notable level above Pittsburgh.

Reactions: cookthebooks

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
He allegedly loved Pittsburgh so I don't see it as much of a leap to suggest he would have taken the same or less with Pittsburgh.

I also don't think Charlotte, NC is particularly "nice weather" either, at least to a notable level above Pittsburgh.
I’m not convinced he loved Pittsburgh as much as his agent and dad told him to say he loved Pittsburgh. The whole ‘I’m not negotiating during the season’ thing spoke volumes to me.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't have any desire to bring Jake back even though I was a little so-so about the deal Dubas got. But if he actually signs 8x8 then that's kinda hilarious.

It's also a little funny to me that evidently 8M for a player like Jake seems to have taken Carolina aback at least a little at first. Buddies... that's what 40+ goal, 90+ point players cost. Hell if anything that's a bit of a deal with the cap increasing and GM's pockets getting itchy.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Had Jake had any real reservations of staying or re-signing in Pittsburgh he wouldn't have sold off his house so quickly. I don't think the 8x8 had any bearings on it over having better chances elsewhere.

Edit: That's also with his wife being from here.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Love Guentzel.

I would not give him eight years.

He's 29 and he's taken a beating. Odds are he's going to fall off considerably once he approaches 33, 34, 35.

It was never about the cap hit for me. It was all about the term, and that's why he had to move.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm not really impressed by the Canes tbh. I think Brind'Amour's overrated, I don't think they have that star scoring punch teams need to make it to the SCF, and I think their goaltending's suspect. They're also about to lose Necas for an undetermined return, so unless they flip what they get for a replacement, that's more offense lost. I dunno, they're much better than the Pens but I don't think they're gonna challenge for a Cup anytime soon--particularly if they cave and give Jake some kinda $70+M deal.
If they started Kochetkov throughout the Rangers series they're at least in the ECF, imo.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Which probably would have been worth it honestly.

It's a tough spot to be because philosophically, signing a 30yo to a 8x7.5mil is diametrically opposite of what we should be doing. But in reality, if you are talking Guentzel or even Reinhart in that range, it because more tolerable. The flip side to this is that Dubas can't waste the space on non-impact players. You can't trade Jake and turn around and sign two more Ellers or Acciaris that won't move the needle. At worst, you can sign someone like a Domi (just an example, no advocating) that only wants $4mil and you bank the other cap space for the future.

Like you, I want him to make bank on Carolina or Vancouver. Will be interesting to see if he comes around to the Pens on July 1st if he doesn't sign beforehand.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't have any desire to bring Jake back even though I was a little so-so about the deal Dubas got. But if he actually signs 8x8 then that's kinda hilarious.

It's also a little funny to me that evidently 8M for a player like Jake seems to have taken Carolina aback at least a little at first. Buddies... that's what 40+ goal, 90+ point players cost. Hell if anything that's a bit of a deal with the cap increasing and GM's pockets getting itchy.

Yeah I'm seeing Canes fans saying "he's going to be overpaid in the last few years of the deal". Like yeah, no shit. That's how UFA contracts work.

I have no clue how the Canes didn't just immediately meet Guentzel's ask if that's all he was asking for. He's giving them a solid $1+ million a year discount from his actual value by only asking for that, them trying to get him to sign for an AAV in the $7 millions is just them being ridiculous.

Love Guentzel.

I would not give him eight years.

He's 29 and he's taken a beating. Odds are he's going to fall off considerably once he approaches 33, 34, 35.

It was never about the cap hit for me. It was all about the term, and that's why he had to move.

There's really nothing to support this claim in terms of comparable players to Guentzel.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad