Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Anyways.

Some rabbit Dubas can pull.

Somehow acquire McGroarty. Would be huge.

Somehow trade Jarry's contract. Who cares what comes back as long as it isn't an ugly contract. Not sure who would take him on, but if he can get out of Jarry and return something that is either a LHD that can elevate above Graves or a cheaper goaltender that'd be great. I wish Utah didn't have Ingram because a Vej for Jarry deal would be something I'd die for.

If he's unable to do either of the above. He needs to focus on not spending cap on UFA.

There is literally nothing that fits what we need in this roster available in UFA outside of maybe Yakov Trenin.

If we are looking around the league at young centers he could target that may be available...

Payton Krebs
Cole Perfetti
Marco Rossi

Potential RFAs that may not be qualified or that we could potentially target..

Isac Lundestrom
Urho Vaakanainen
Blake Lizotte
Erik Brannstrom
Jacob Bryson
Taylor Raddysh
Alexandre Texier
Yegor Zamula
Ryan Johnson
Speaking of…….

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's clear that's not what I meant. There are $6M middle-six wings who can be had in a couple days who are FAR better than Mangiapane without giving up assets.

He's a worse offensive player than Smith and he's a f***ing midget, which makes him laughably overpaid for what he brings.

He had one good year. The entirety of the rest of his body of work proves that year was an obscene outlier. No sane person would want him at more than $4M. Fair for him is probably closer to $3.5.

Kindergarten Kyle should be really busy right now, but not on shit players like Mangiapane. He should be trying to get out of bad contracts/fits like Jarry, Smith, and Acciari.

Mangiapane is one of those players that helps drive play and is lights out defensively.

He's a got a bit of Tyler Kennedy in him, but I disagree that there are a ton in UFA that have his potential.

Makes sense. Exactly the type of player Isles and Boston will pay up for and not think twice about.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
$4M Andrew Mangiapane is excessive and $6M is a joke.

He is exhibit A of players Dubas should avoid.

Not at all. No contractual commitment, great analytic profile historically and still has some underlyings that make him attractive, and low enough acquisition cost that you can flip him at the deadline and potentially improve the 2nd you gave up.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Totally different skill sets. But whatever.
They're both solid middle-six wingers who are defensively responsible, but that's where it ends.

One is generously listed at 5'10", played lights-out in a contract year only to predictably regress in the following seasons, is propped up by a delusional Canadian media, and is far overpaid at $6M.

The other is a leader on a Stanley Cup champion with an established record of performance who is fairly paid $5M.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Late night 32 Thoughts Podcast from Friedman and Marek.

Still listening, but Friedman says he believes Buffalo was sniffing around Reilly Smith and Lars Eller recently, but he's not sure that either will happen.

Around 23:30 after the Skinner talk.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I think it would have been hilarious if Detroit did buy out Petry during the buyout window, because that cap penalty would hit 3 teams, including the Penguins and Habs, lol.

Still listening, but Friedman says he believes Buffalo was sniffing around Reilly Smith and Lars Eller recently, but he's not sure that either will happen.

Buffalo sniffing around things they don't need all the while ignoring their goalie situation like always.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
$4M Andrew Mangiapane is excessive and $6M is a joke.

He is exhibit A of players Dubas should avoid.
At the time he did come off a 35 goal season and was trending up, then he got paid and fell back down to a 30-40pt winger. I bet a lot had hoped he'd emerge like Marchand did later in his career, he had that feel to his trajectory but it just never materialized. He wasn't that much of a fit with the new players that Calgary added and going to the Capitals where they would rely on him more, who knows how that turns out. The good for the Caps in that deal is he's a UFA at the end of the season and I am guessing they hope he fits with PLD.

Oshie is probably going to go on LTIR with his back issues which further adds to their LTIR pool.

That back issue does sound rough...

The 5-foot-11 winger underwent a double ablation at the end of last season, but it was only a temporary fix. He has been working with a chiropractor back home in Minnesota for the last bit, but per MacLellan, he is looking for something that will bring him long-term relief.

At the end of the season, he admitted that his back pain had gotten so severe that it left him "literally on the floor, peeing in water bottles," and that he wasn't sure whether or not he could continue playing.

"My issue is there's not just one problem back there. There's multiple things that we've got to find an answer for," Oshie said.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

Interesting. Wonder if they’re shopping Eller or if there are just teams who are interested.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I'd be happy with a deal like:

Reilly Smith 20% retained, Tristan Jarry, and Sam Poulin for Jordan Greenway, Nikita Novikov and the Devils 2nd they have.

Interesting. Wonder if they’re shopping Eller or if there are just teams who are interested.
I think teams were interested at the deadline too but he wasn't available because a delusional Dubas thought Sullivan was going miraculously become less idiotic as a coach and guide them into the playoffs.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I want to see Sullivan make adjustments to Greenway's game to turn him from a physical winger to a soft bloke and see how Dubas justifies it and how bellends like Yohe and Rossi blame the player instead.

Btw, I say Jordan Greenway because guess which knob was his Head Coach at BU?

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It's clear that's not what I meant. There are $6M middle-six wings who can be had in a couple days who are FAR better than Mangiapane without giving up assets.

He's a worse offensive player than Smith and he's a f***ing midget, which makes him laughably overpaid for what he brings.

He had one good year. The entirety of the rest of his body of work proves that year was an obscene outlier. No sane person would want him at more than $4M. Fair for him is probably closer to $3.5.

Kindergarten Kyle should be really busy right now, but not on shit players like Mangiapane. He should be trying to get out of bad contracts/fits like Jarry, Smith, and Acciari.
So now, i don't care about maniapone...

But the thing is, what was the last useful middle six $6mil winger that we signed in FA?

I think sometimes you trade a pick for a contract. Cause FA ain't guaranteed. Especially not to a market like PIT.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't think we should be wasting time with bottom-six forwards, or even middle-six forwards. Go big or go home.

There should be guys not qualified who can compete for a bottom-six forward role with the guys we already have. We might be able to acquire one via trade. I am encouraged by the reports of Eller's name being out there (FINALLY!).

I was looking at the Kings lineup yesterday. They probably need two top-six wingers now, one to replace Arvidsson and one to replace Byfield (who likely replaces Dubois at center).

I can't see how Reilly Smith to LA cannot happen. It has to happen.

AND, a message to Dubas:

- if you have to acquire forwards to provide depth (most likely for the AHL), make sure that they are not Sullivan-types. Jansen Harkins is a major no-no. But if Dominik Kubalik is willing to take a cheap, two-way contract...Sullivan would hate this player!

The more guys Sullivan hates we bring in, the greater our chances of Puustinen, Poulin, Ponomarev, Yager, Koivunen, Puljujarvi et al sticking! This is what we are now reduced to...bringing in players the coach hates. Seems counter-productive, but instead it is genius.

Lastly, I may be the only one who would keep Bemstrom if he would take the Puustinen deal. If not, send him to the UFA bin and see what happens.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think we should be wasting time with bottom-six forwards, or even middle-six forwards. Go big or go home.

There should be guys not qualified who can compete for a bottom-six forward role with the guys we already have. We might be able to acquire one via trade. I am encouraged by the reports of Eller's name being out there (FINALLY!).

I was looking at the Kings lineup yesterday. They probably need two top-six wingers now, one to replace Arvidsson and one to replace Byfield (who likely replaces Dubois at center).

AND, a message to Dubas:

- if you have to acquire forwards to provide depth (most likely for the AHL), make sure that they are not Sullivan-types. Jansen Harkins is a major no-no. But if Dominik Kubalik is willing to take a cheap, two-way contract...Sullivan would hate this player!

The more guys Sullivan hates we bring in, the greater our chances of Puustinen, Poulin, Ponomarev, Yager, Koivunen, Puljujarvi et al sticking! This is what we are now reduced to...bringing in players the coach hates. Seems counter-productive, but instead it is genius.

Lastly, I may be the only one who would keep Bemstrom if he would take the Puustinen deal. If not, send him to the UFA bin and see what happens.
Yeah, I just have this feeling they’re going to sign players like Domi in free agency…even though he’s older, we should be looking at someone like Stamkos instead if we’re dipping our toes in free agency….we should be be going after the McGroarty and Necas of the world lol

Saw this…don’t know if it’s from Rossi solely but please trade Petts before you sign him to a lengthy $6M AAV contract lol….

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Eller and Smith in Buffalo actually make a good bit of sense in the context of “they need veterans who have won before”. My bigger question is whether either guy would allow a trade to Buffalo.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

AND, a message to Dubas:

:heart:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think Eller and Smith in Buffalo actually make a good bit of sense in the context of “they need veterans who have won before”. My bigger question is whether either guy would allow a trade to Buffalo.

Smith is from Ontario so he could live there while playing for Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad