Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think the mountainous difference is Jack Johnson was largely used as an offensive defenseman and had a purpose in that role in some type of weird conceptual understanding.

Ryan Graves is used as a defensive defenseman, but he sucks at it. He is terrible offensively. His omly solid ability is his PKing and the fact goals seem to go in for some reason by him. People think he is good defensively because he is big and tall, but as we saw this year he is absolutely terrible in his own zone and off the rush.
If you believe in the Jfresh charts offense is one of the few things he is (or was prior to coming here) actually OK at: .

Defense not so much, so naturally the Pens signed him and then deployed him as a shutdown defenseman.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you believe in the Jfresh charts offense is one of the few things he is (or was prior to coming here) actually OK at: .

Defense not so much, so naturally the Pens signed him and then deployed him as a shutdown defenseman.

Josh Yohe thought Ryan Graves was a great signing.

I think that should end this argument.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Wasn’t saying you were.

Honestly, Ryan Graves is fine as a third pairing LHD. Dude just sucks ass.

I feel like Graves - Stecher would be a really good third pairing for us.
He's pretty bleh for sure. If they're gonna keep him he probably should be on the third pair, yeah.

You know Sullivan and Dubas are gonna sunk cost it though and ram him right back into the top 4 hoping that he can be worth his paycheck instead of deploying him in more sheltered minutes and maybe actually getting something positive out of him.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Graves will be iced because the team is gonna say what other choice do we have

But the question they should be asking is how can we mitigate our deficiencies with a well rounded gameplan and strategy

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Graves will be iced because the team is gonna say what other choice do we have

But the question they should be asking is how can we mitigate our deficiencies with a well rounded gameplan and strategy
Yeah they'll ram him into the top 4 and he'll cost them games and then once he does that enough he'll get punted down the lineup again but by then the damage will be done.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So 30 pages of Kotkaniemi and Graves discussion….I hate the off-season lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would the Canes take a bad contract back? There are a couple teams with quite a bit of cap space iirc. They aren't all going to be able to get the top ufas. KK's contract would help them get to the floor. All it would cost is a pick, not a long-term contract.

That pick is likely going to be something not insignificant with the money left on Kotkaniemi's deal.

They may not have to give up a 1st but I'd be surprised if it was less than a 2nd or more.

Wasn’t saying you were.

Honestly, Ryan Graves is fine as a third pairing LHD. Dude just sucks ass.

I feel like Graves - Stecher would be a really good third pairing for us.

I feel like you can basically create that pair with Graves-St. Ivany.

Just go out and sign Skjei so you only need to use Graves for like 17 minutes a night max.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
That pick is likely going to be something not insignificant with the money left on Kotkaniemi's deal.

They may not have to give up a 1st but I'd be surprised if it was less than a 2nd or more.

I feel like you can basically create that pair with Graves-St. Ivany.

Just go out and sign Skjei so you only need to use Graves for like 17 minutes a night max.

Skjei is going to get like 7+ x 6.

I don’t think St Ivany has the ability to be Stecher in terms of puck movement.

Ludvig will be hurt to start the year. Sign Stecher as a 900k one year #6-7. Run a seven man D with St Ivany.

Helps if we have an inevitable RHD injury too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Skjei is going to get like 7+ x 6.

I don’t think St Ivany has the ability to be Stecher in terms of puck movement.

Ludvig will be hurt to start the year. Sign Stecher as a 900k one year #6-7. Run a seven man D with St Ivany.

Helps if we have an inevitable RHD injury too.

I know, they have the money to be able to afford that.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Carolina could be ripe for the picking.

Everyone bitches about FSG, but at least they're not the equivalent to the Nutting of hockey. Carolina dicked Brind'amour and his staff around before finally signing their contracts. Waddell has turned them into a perennial contender but was working on an expiring contract, and he has to manage extra stuff like the arena on top of running a hockey franchise.

I don't blame him for potentially runninh away.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA

Everyone bitches about FSG, but at least they're not the equivalent to the Nutting of hockey. Carolina dicked Brind'amour and his staff around before finally signing their contracts. Waddell has turned them into a perennial contender but was working on an expiring contract, and he has to manage extra stuff like the arena on top of running a hockey franchise.

No wonder you like Sullivan if you think Carolina is a perennial contender.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Let's say the Penguins would enter next year with this lineup:

Robertson-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Kotkaniemi-Puustinen
Poulin-Eller-Acciari
Puljujarvi-Lizotte

Pettersson-Karlsson
Skjei-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany
Ludvig

Jarry-Blomqvist

Do you think this team would be playoff caliber? This is assuming they trade for Kotkaniemi and Robertson and sign Lizotte (after not being qualified by the Kings) and Skjei in free agency.

Last edited:

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California

It was reported earlier in the week that Columbus is interested in speaking with Waddell about their GM job.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California

If Waddell leaves Carolina, I'm sure Eric Tulsky would be named GM of the Canes.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Let's say the Penguins would enter next year with this lineup:

Robertson-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
O'Connor-Kotkaniemi-Puustinen
Poulin-Eller-Acciari
Puljujarvi-Lizotte

Pettersson-Karlsson
Skjei-Letang
Graves-St. Ivany
Ludvig

Jarry-Blomqvist

Do you think this team would be playoff caliber? This is assuming they trade for Kotkaniemi and Robertson and sign Mikheyev (after being bought out by Vancouver), Lizotte (after not being qualified by the Kings) and Skjei in free agency.

Why did we waste cap on Mikheyev when he isn’t on the NHL roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad