Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Much more to the point I was getting at, but don't let logic get in the way or anything.

Wait now. Granlund sucks, but he was part of HBK 2.0. Jack Johnson sucks, but he was light beer Kris Letang!

Make it all make sense Empo!

Atta boy, double down like Sullivan. :laugh:

I mean, Jack Johnson at least had athleticism that covered up for his mistakes in the early part of his career.

Ryan Graves has had Cale Makar and Dougie Hamilton that have covered up for his mistakes. Dude is soft as butter, as dumb as Jack Johnson and one of the stupidest players I've ever seen in the offensive zone.

We signed a 32 year old Jack Johnson who was obviously on his way out of being a top four defender. Since we bought him out, he's won a cup and found a role on the Avs in a bottom pairing usage. Ryan Graves is 29 and has been exited for scraps on mulitple cup contending rosters.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait now. Granlund sucks, but he was part of HBK 2.0. Jack Johnson sucks, but he was light beer Kris Letang!

You have constantly argued that Marino sucks, but when it comes to Graves, apparently Marino was amazing and just carried Graves to success in New Jersey.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I mean, Jack Johnson at least had athleticism that covered up for his mistakes in the early part of his career.

Ryan Graves has had Cale Makar and Dougie Hamilton that have covered up for his mistakes. Dude is soft as butter, as dumb as Jack Johnson and one of the stupidest players I've ever seen in the offensive zone.
You're full on donkeybrains.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm definitely willing to make some allowances for Graves because he's playing for a nincompoop but he STUNK last year, man. You can try to cut it as fine as you want and I sure hope he gets better next year but it was like... glaringly obvious.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We signed a 32 year old Jack Johnson who was obviously on his way out of being a top four defender. Since we bought him out, he's won a cup and found a role on the Avs in a bottom pairing usage. Ryan Graves is 29 and has been exited for scraps on mulitple cup contending rosters.

The Kings literally won 2 cups in 3 years after trading Jack Johnson in 2012.

I'm definitely willing to make some allowances for Graves because he's playing for a nincompoop but he STUNK last year, man. You can try to cut it as fine as you want and I sure hope he gets better next year but it was like... glaringly obvious.

Yeah I don't think anyone thinks he was good last year. Not even Dubas did, he specifically called out Graves at the end of year conference. I'm willing to give him time with St. Ivany though because I liked the pair when it was together last year.

He simply needs to be better next year, because he's paid far too much to be as useless as he was.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
lol quibbling over exactly HOW bad 4.5M dollar at term third pairing Ryan Graves is.

Ahhhhhh Summer.
How is it that every season this team's got like $10 million tied up in bad fits or downright dogshit players? :laugh: Carter, Granlund, Graves, JJ, Smith, etc.

Man this team's gotta revamp their pro and amateur scouting depts, just nuke 'em and start fresh.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You're full on donkeybrains.

Not really. Jack Johnson was way more useful at 29 than Ryan Graves is.

The Kings literally won 2 cups in 3 years after trading Jack Johnson in 2012.

Jack Johnson was a centerpiece of a trade for Jeff Carter who was a top six center.

Ryan Graves was traded for a 2nd.

Jack Johnson at 29 was a top pairing defenseman on a playoff team.

Ryan Graves at 29 essentially would've lost his job if we had a coach worth a damb.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
How is it that every season this team's got like $10 million tied up in bad fits or downright dogshit players? :laugh: Carter, Granlund, Graves, JJ, Smith, etc.

Man this team's gotta revamp their pro and amateur scouting depts, just nuke 'em and start fresh.
It almost makes you wonder WTF the scouting department watches when they are supposed to scout.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

Jack Johnson was a centerpiece of a trade for Jeff Carter who was a top six center.

1716503820521.png

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Johnson was a -90 in his career while playing with the Kings and the Kings immediately became a top tier cup contender after getting rid of him. They had not won a single round in his 5 years playing top-4 minutes for them, while he was hemorrhaging goals against left and right from not knowing how to play defense. As soon as he was moved, the Kings won 10 playoff rounds in the next 3 years.

I don't even care about Graves in this discussion, your takes on Jack Johnson are just bonkers right now.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah I've been bitching about this for years. Though I mean... long list.

A certain GREATEST COACH EVAR kinda complicates things, though. Like... we've seen some extremely up and down results with players over the years. Don't think that's a coincidence.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Johnson was a -90 in his career while playing with the Kings and the Kings immediately became a top tier cup contender after getting rid of him. They had not won a single round in his 5 years playing top-4 minutes for them, while he was hemorrhaging goals against left and right from not knowing how to play defense. As soon as he was moved, the Kings won 10 playoff rounds in the next 3 years.

I don't even care about Graves in this discussion, your takes on Jack Johnson are just bonkers right now.

Says the guy who defended the Jack Johnson signing for 4 months in 2018 lol.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The whole thing that confuses me regarding the "Graves is Jack Johnson 2.0" is that he even finished with a +10 rating for the Penguins last year. I don't like +/- as a stat and think that Graves was absolutely bad last year, but I fail to see how someone with a +10 can be "Jack Johnson 2.0". Like JJ's worst seasons in the NHL were him being like -25 over a season. Hell, he was a -25 in 58 games for the Hawks in 202-2023.

+/- isn't a good stat and whatnot, but Graves is a +94 over his career while Johnson is a -114. Those stats in isolation don't say much, but the mountainous difference there almost has to suggest something, no? That's not "+10 on a good team vs -10 on a bad team", that's a mountainous difference between the two.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Let's flip it around. If you are any team wanting to trade for Kotkaniemi, why would you agree to trade for him if you're not giving up another terrible long-term deal for him?

The likely outcome here is that the Canes will just buy out Kotkaniemi, because they won't take a bad deal back due to his buyout being tame while other teams won't be willing to trade for Kotkaniemi without sending out their own bad deal.

Would they do Graves and Ponomarev for Kotkaniemi? Probably not unless they absolutely love Ponomarev. But if you are the Penguins, why would you trade for Kotkaniemi without giving up Graves? You can just wait for him to be bought out and then sign him in UFA for like $3 million a year.
Why would the Canes take a bad contract back? There are a couple teams with quite a bit of cap space iirc. They aren't all going to be able to get the top ufas. KK's contract would help them get to the floor. All it would cost is a pick, not a long-term contract.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
The whole thing that confuses me regarding the "Graves is Jack Johnson 2.0" is that he even finished with a +10 rating for the Penguins last year. I don't like +/- as a stat and think that Graves was absolutely bad last year, but I fail to see how someone with a +10 can be "Jack Johnson 2.0". Like JJ's worst seasons in the NHL were him being like -25 over a season. Hell, he was a -25 in 58 games for the Hawks in 202-2023.

+/- isn't a good stat and whatnot, but Graves is a +94 over his career while Johnson is a -114. Those stats in isolation don't say much, but the mountainous difference there almost has to suggest something, no? That's not "+10 on a good team vs -10 on a bad team", that's a mountainous difference between the two.

I think the mountainous difference is Jack Johnson was largely used as an offensive defenseman and had a purpose in that role in some type of weird conceptual understanding.

Ryan Graves is used as a defensive defenseman, but he sucks at it. He is terrible offensively. His omly solid ability is his PKing and the fact goals seem to go in for some reason by him. People think he is good defensively because he is big and tall, but as we saw this year he is absolutely terrible in his own zone and off the rush.

1716504489669.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad