GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No, I'm thinking somebody in the bottom six who would be an asset to us physically but can skate well and can contribute at least somewhat regularly.

Honestly that's probably the #1 choice on the Hextall board. JVR at 50%. The only hiccup is if the Flyers want to do business with us.

But no doubt, we are a team circling the JVR carcass.
I have plenty of doubts, that is not the direction we should be looking towards.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Find me a guy that can shore up the bottom 6 better.

Guy plays a hard nosed game and really has that scoring knack. Kinda seems like an underpayment maybe we should go in stronger with similar guys like Jeannot getting a kings ransom.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Find me a guy that can shore up the bottom 6 better.

Guy plays a hard nosed game and really has that scoring knack. Kinda seems like an underpayment maybe we should go in stronger with similar guys like Jeannot getting a kings ransom.
Jvr in the bottom six? I just don't know if he fits the mold that we might be looking for. Sam Lafferty is more in the mold of what I'm speaking to, but I don't want him he was already here.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Jvr in the bottom six? I just don't know if he fits the mold that we might be looking for. Sam Lafferty is more in the mold of what I'm speaking to, but I don't want him he was already here.
No Sam Lafferty. He's doubled up Jeannot this year on goals.

I'm thinking we go in hot and heavy to snag him. He's grown so much in 6 months that I'm confident us throwing a ton of assets at him would be a solid move.

Clearly he left and the leadership of the room fell apart. No more Laff on the bench looking at the boys saying "next shift, watch me"

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think the reality might be that the Penguins ARE actually looking at re-signing Dumo. Logically, he could have been moved already without much change to the team. A positive there is that his inconsistent play and falling off quite a bit with speed should drive his price WAY down compared to 2 years ago. I would happily have him back as 3LD at like 2M. Just need some youngster who can skate to pair with him.

Zucker though - I think it's an absolute travesty we have not worked to get a 1st for him with retention. We're not a rental away from the cup - and Zucker is basically that. UFA that is not going to change the outcome of a playoff series [for us] - that we're set to literally lose for nothing. If we're holding on to him because we want to re-sign him, I think that's a mistake. Not that I don't like Zucker, I just think he doesn't bring much for Malkin, and for the team he's just like - random hit guy. On the third line he might bang, but at what price?

To me this is one of those rare situations where you sorta have to take a stance one way or the other. No neutral ground. You can't do NOTHING this trade deadline because, well, either we need some moves to compete - noticeable to anyone with any sort of rational thought process - or we have a couple assets that quite literally don't move the needle in a playoff series one way or the other that could/should be sold (McGinn, Blueger, Zucker, lesser extent - Dumo).

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
No Sam Lafferty. He's doubled up Jeannot this year on goals.

I'm thinking we go in hot and heavy to snag him. He's grown so much in 6 months that I'm confident us throwing a ton of assets at him would be a solid move.

Clearly he left and the leadership of the room fell apart. No more Laff on the bench looking at the boys saying "next shift, watch me"
Imagine the return on Lafferty now, thinking it could have been us!

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Chychrun, Schmaltz, and Vejmelka would be interesting, but I don't see how it would not be based around Guenetzel from our side.
It's the Coyotes. I'm sure they'll overplay their hand, be left with all other suitors finding other d-men, and have to trade Chychrun for pennies on the dollar of what they have been asking for the last 6 years or whatever.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
To me this is one of those rare situations where you sorta have to take a stance one way or the other.
Yep. That's been my stance as well. You buy or you sell. Doing nothing is the only unacceptable outcome. Either admit you want to make the playoffs and add to make it happen, or decide that this team has no chance and sell off ufas.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
On the fan this morning they're talking about Tom wilson. Obviously I don't think he'd be available to us, and he has a no trade clause for 10 teams. Not sure if we'd be in on that, but he would be an awesome player to get. Again I don't see it happening, however if the Caps are selling and the price would be egregious I'm sure, I actually would find that a bit intriguing. He signed through next year I believe. At 5.1 Mill. That also would push a very good player into the bottom six. So it's kind of a win-win. But again they probably want a king's ransom for him.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
JVR can fight for position in front of the net but outside of that agreed.

He'd be a nice add for us if he comes cheap.

50% for McGinn+? Like at 50% he's still 3.5M so it's not 'cheap' per se. Idk how we swing that.

Yep. That's been my stance as well. You buy or you sell. Doing nothing is the only unacceptable outcome. Either admit you want to make the playoffs and add to make it happen, or decide that this team has no chance and sell off ufas.

There's even a 3rd outcome tbh - you sell Zucker/Dumo or both. Losing those guys by no metric changes your chances at making the playoffs or tilting a series. At least not at their play for the last year. I think moving Zucker should be the minimum because as a rental you're gambling a possible 1st you could get for him. Selling Dumo at 50% at MOST would probably net a 2nd...that's a rental risk I think we can take.

If we miss out on a 1st this year and hold on to Zucker I think that's just downright awful management.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
50% for McGinn+? Like at 50% he's still 3.5M so it's not 'cheap' per se. Idk how we swing that.

There's even a 3rd outcome tbh - you sell Zucker/Dumo or both. Losing those guys by no metric changes your chances at making the playoffs or tilting a series. At least not at their play for the last year. I think moving Zucker should be the minimum because as a rental you're gambling a possible 1st you could get for him. Selling Dumo at 50% at MOST would probably net a 2nd...that's a rental risk I think we can take.

If we miss out on a 1st this year and hold on to Zucker I think that's just downright awful management.

Once Friedman is healthy you waive him and then involve a third team for retention.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
On the fan this morning they're talking about Tom wilson. Obviously I don't think he'd be available to us, and he is a no trade clause for 10 teams. Not sure if we'd be on that, but he would be an awesome player to get. Again I don't see it happening fight if the Caps are selling and the price would be egregious I'm sure, I actually would find out a bit intriguing. He signed through next year I believe. At 5.1 Mill

I would take Wilson in a heartbeat but I don't see the Caps trading him to us. Social media has killed trades between rivals. Just feels like we will never see a trade like below ever again.

Pittsburgh Penguins acquire
Date
Philadelphia Flyers acquire
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
Kjell Samuelsson
Rick Tocchet
Ken Wregget
1993 conditional 3rd round pick (#62-David Roche)
February 19, 1992​
Brian Benning
Mark Recchi
1992 1st round pick (#15-Jason Bowen)
Philadelphia_Flyers.gif

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I think losing Zucker would negatively impact this team's chance to make the playoffs unless they added elsewhere but losing Dumo wouldn't affect too much, I agree there. Maybe it would hurt the pk slightly but I'm sure they could replace Dumo's minutes there if they had to.

I don't think the Pens will choose to sell even if they lose both games before Friday. I think Hextall will stick to his word and no trade premium assets for rentals, but nor will he sell.

Any rentals he picks up will be acquired with mid round picks and secondary prospects. If he does something more significant than that it will be for a guy who isn't a rental.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Once Friedman is healthy you waive him and then involve a third team for retention.

IMO, just ship Henien to the minors. His salary is below the waiver cap cost. He either makes it to the minors or is claimed. Either way, he won't be playing with JVR now in the lineup. Then he can come up for the playoffs.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I think losing Zucker would negatively impact this team's chance to make the playoffs unless they added elsewhere but losing Dumo wouldn't affect too much, I agree there. Maybe it would hurt the pk slightly but I'm sure they could replace Dumo's minutes there if they had to.

I don't think the Pens will choose to sell even if they lose both games before Friday. I think Hextall will stick to his word and no trade premium assets for rentals, but nor will he sell.

Any rentals he picks up will be acquired with mid round picks and secondary prospects. If he does something more significant than that it will be for a guy who isn't a rental.
Watch him nab hometown wonder JT Miller.

Reactions: Pancakes

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

I don't agree with this but it's largely a bias against Zucker.

I've never felt he's brought much to this team. I feel like he's a hybrid of Hagelin/Tanev. Never felt he was worth the trade price, nor the salary premium. He's got the ups/lows of a bottom 6er where he goes from legit top 6er to invisible (outside of the random do-nothing-for-the-game hit)....so yeah. I personally feel like this team could have lost him over the Summer and absolutely no difference would be made to where we are today. Same going forward.

Would be happy to have foot in mouth over this but just haven't seen it. I'd take the 1st. Not that I'd keep that 1st...but I'd trade for it.

Watch him nab hometown wonder JT Miller.

If this team adds ANOTHER NMC for a tweener player to it's roster....I think that'll be all she wrote. Millers contract looks albatross-esque going forward.

This is a team that's going to want flexibility to it's roster as Sid/Geno age. See what we need, what helps what doesn't. Maybe in 2 years we shift to a 2-1 hockey team with heavy defense....maybe we put them on the same line and try to support them with more scoring etc. But JT is a move that's highly dangerous to any buyer.

Reactions: Andy99

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I would take Wilson in a heartbeat but I don't see the Caps trading him to us. Social media has killed trades between rivals. Just feels like we will never see a trade like below ever again.

Pittsburgh Penguins acquire
Date
Philadelphia Flyers acquire
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
Kjell Samuelsson
Rick Tocchet
Ken Wregget
1993 conditional 3rd round pick (#62-David Roche)
February 19, 1992​
Brian Benning
Mark Recchi
1992 1st round pick (#15-Jason Bowen)
Philadelphia_Flyers.gif

Imagine what this team would have been if we had drafted Jason Bowen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad