GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
They were but they didn’t spend “significant “ assets on them, by which Hextall means a first lol
Hestall is an idiot.

Unless they see something wrong with Chychyrn he’s an ideal piece at 24years old, and can help us now and in the future.

Also where is that 3rd line center man we’ve been talking about since over 2 months ago.

Are we going to see something unprecedented with Hectall and see TWO moves at the trade deadline? Stay tuned folks 😂.

Reactions: Andy99

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Then blame JR and not Hextall. That would have been the kind of move that JR should have made in 2017 or 2018. Not now.
Imo Hextall shouldn't trade for rentals, but he should definitely add if he wants to make the playoffs.

If he wants to bail and sell because we've been up and down all year, I could live with that. Re-tool in the offseason.

I just hate the idea of doing nothing. That's not going to help us make the playoffs and it's not going to do all that much for us in the off season either.

• Love
Reactions: The Old Master

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Chychrun and Ritchie from Arizona.
Domi and Dickinson from Chicago.

McGinn, Archibald and Blueger/Heinen out.

Chychrun and Dickinson signed past this season. Dickinson is a true shut down center. Domi can play wing or center. Ritchie is the size. Chychrun is the stabilizer and depth for our D.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Chychrun and Ritchie from Arizona.
Domi and Dickinson from Chicago.

Chychrun and Dickinson signed past this season. Dickinson is a true shut down center. Domi can play wing or center. Ritchie is the size. Chychrun is the stabilizer and depth for our D.
I would be peachy with just Chychrun and Dickinson. Not interested in Ritchie and not really Domi.

Reactions: Nakawick

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Summary from another poster…I didn’t listen…

“Friedman and Marek went through all 32 teams on their 32 thoughts podcast. Friedman said:

--Nice to see that after getting embarrassed by Edmonton, they came back and won against STL and TB
--I would still be very careful if I were Pittsburgh about burning my futures on this year.
--They got a break with Kapanen. Friedman said a GM called him and said he has a funny feeling there could be a weird Pittsburgh trade where STL gets a draft pick for taking Kapanen. This opens space for them to do some things.
--I know they have been linked to Chychrun, but their biggest problem is they don't have enough in "juice" in their bottom 6. Friedman says come playoff time, you need those guys with juice, those bottom 6ers that are tough to play against. Pittsburgh doesn't have that. They are pretty docile. The Penguins used to have it. They had it when they won Cups with Mario, and they had it when they won Cups with Sid and Geno. Those Cup teams were nasty to play against, and I think the Penguins want to get back to that a bit.
--If the Penguins do something, that's where I think they add...around the edges, tougher to play against guys in the bottom 6.”
I mean, yeah the bottom 6 is by far and away the biggest issue but when your issues are also:

1. Iffy goaltending
2. Sullivan
3. Stars not always showing up playing 60min
4. Questionable defense
5. Highly questionable defensive system

Then it becomes a little less optimistic that they can truly plug the holes. And, I will say it loud and clear - it WILL NOT MATTER what additions are made to the bottom 6 as long as Mike Sullivan sees Jeff Carter as a 3rd line player. He should be a sheltered 4th line player or, on a cup team, your 13F. As long as Carter gets 3C minutes and responsibilities, this team will go nowhere. Additions that do NOT involves directly impacting Carter's ice time, is irrelevant.

My issue now is...what guys are available that really help us? Barbs, Meier, Jeannot, Nino...I mean, these were all guys that fit our needs well and we missed on them. So what guys are left that we can afford (and want to afford)?

There's a reason all of those guys got good returns.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah, I feel like anyone with working eyes this year could tell this bottom 6 doesn't work, and yet zero effort was made to fix it besides waiving Kapanen. And that probably wouldn't have even happened if our cap wasn't already jacked up.

And on top of that, we haven't had a tenacious bottom 6 since 2017, maybe. Hextall is part of the problem, but he's not the source of the bad bottom 6.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
it WILL NOT MATTER what additions are made to the bottom 6 as long as Mike Sullivan sees Jeff Carter as a 3rd line player. He should be a sheltered 4th line player or, on a cup team, your 13F. As long as Carter gets 3C minutes and responsibilities, this team will go nowhere. Additions that do NOT involves directly impacting Carter's ice time, is irrelevant.
This cannot be understated.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I feel like anyone with working eyes this year could tell this bottom 6 doesn't work, and yet zero effort was made to fix it besides waiving Kapanen. And that probably wouldn't have even happened if our cap wasn't already jacked up.

And on top of that, we haven't had a tenacious bottom 6 since 2017, maybe. Hextall is part of the problem, but he's not the source of the bad bottom 6.

Well what else can you do but use your first round pick in order to acquire...

...wait for it...

... ...

MOAR THIRD LINERZ

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Friedman’s main take away from the Edmonton game for some reason was about how they get pushed around and not the fact that they are a bottom 10 team in the nhl defensively lol.

They need to change the bottom six mix but more pressingly they suck real bad defensively and their up and coming dmen are Utah’s finest- Joseph and Smith, which won’t really deal with that problem.

Reactions: SEALBound

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Friedman’s main take away from the Edmonton game for some reason was about how they get pushed around and not the fact that they are a bottom 10 team in the nhl defensively lol.

They need to change the bottom six mix but more pressingly they suck real bad defensively and their up and coming dmen are Utah’s finest- Joseph and Smith, which won’t really deal with that problem.

Friedman is right. This team can’t compete against today’s NHL from a physical standpoint.

It worked in 2016 and 2017 because big rugged defensive defenseman couldn’t skate so we could punish them. Today that isn’t happening. This is why we should have been in on Jeannot.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Shitballing - man I wish SJS could have got Sharangovich in the Meier deal. I would love them to have flipped him to us.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I mean, yeah the bottom 6 is by far and away the biggest issue but when your issues are also:

1. Iffy goaltending
2. Sullivan
3. Stars not always showing up playing 60min
4. Questionable defense
5. Highly questionable defensive system

Then it becomes a little less optimistic that they can truly plug the holes. And, I will say it loud and clear - it WILL NOT MATTER what additions are made to the bottom 6 as long as Mike Sullivan sees Jeff Carter as a 3rd line player. He should be a sheltered 4th line player or, on a cup team, your 13F. As long as Carter gets 3C minutes and responsibilities, this team will go nowhere. Additions that do NOT involves directly impacting Carter's ice time, is irrelevant.

My issue now is...what guys are available that really help us? Barbs, Meier, Jeannot, Nino...I mean, these were all guys that fit our needs well and we missed on them. So what guys are left that we can afford (and want to afford)?

There's a reason all of those guys got good returns.
The worst part of this weekend is that Carter scored. You're right. He must be buried.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This cannot be understated.
I will also state that if the goal is to acquire someone to replace DOC or Heinen in the bottom 6 and not guys like Carter, Bleuger, or Archibald - again, this team will go nowhere.

3C
4C
3W

is our needs list.

The worst part of this weekend is that Carter scored. You're right. He must be buried.
I was surprised Sullivan didn't use that fact to shove it in everyone's face.

"See! YA SEE! He scores! He scores! He's a 3C! Just like I said!"

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Friedman is right. This team can’t compete against today’s NHL from a physical standpoint.

It worked in 2016 and 2017 because big rugged defensive defenseman couldn’t skate so we could punish them. Today that isn’t happening. This is why we should have been in on Jeannot.
Jeannot playing 12 minutes a game would definitely change that all by himself. No doubt no doubt.

Given how the usage is distributed, a better bottom 6 helps defensively far more than anything else it may offer. The days of a bad defensive hockey squad meaning bad defenseman are passing.
The Pens have a glaring weakness on LD compared to the good teams in the East. Especially when POJ plays like a rookie.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The other thing about Jeannot is that Nashville didn't have to trade him. So his value is whatever the hell they wanted it to be. They'd have been happy to keep him.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I only see two viable paths right now. Fire Sullivan and add or keep him and sell. Of course the team is going to keep him and buy and achieve absolutely nothing the next few years.

Trade options are drieing up quick right now. Dumo, Blueger and Zucker should all be traded. Bring up the young players and let them play the rest of the year.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
The Pens have a glaring weakness on LD compared to the good teams in the East. Especially when POJ plays like a rookie.

Not wrong but it's at best a distant third in terms of need, I have to think. I'm all for improving LD but not at the risk of blowing all viable assets. It'd be blowing your savings to buy a new couch when the roof is leaking.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
The other thing about Jeannot is that Nashville didn't have to trade him. So his value is whatever the hell they wanted it to be. They'd have been happy to keep him.
I think he probably was only made available once Tampa asked them about him after Boston got Hathaway, and Tampa told them they would give them whatever they wanted not off the roster. So they put him out there but obviously nobody was gonna pay that except Tampa.

Reactions: Jacob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad