GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Who do we have to sell that's worth these prices? Zucker maybe gets what Niederreiter did, and Dumoulin gets ..? He's not getting McCabe's return.
So? We'd get something for nothing.

I think we should do something. I don’t have a great feeling if we do make the playoffs, but there is no guarantee that we make the playoffs after this year. As long as you are in the playoffs there is a small chance you can go on a hot streak and make some noise.
We missed your posting, dog.

Reactions: dogthateats

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I think we should do something. I don’t have a great feeling if we do make the playoffs, but there is no guarantee that we make the playoffs after this year. As long as you are in the playoffs there is a small chance you can go on a hot streak and make some noise.
Pens could beat Carolina with the right moves/some luck. After the first round who knows because the true juggernauts will beat the hell out of each other, and the West sucks ass.

Reactions: molon labe

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Carter in his current state actually wouldn't be a bad 4C. It's this 3rd line that brings nothing that hurts. Like literally nothing -defensively or offensively. I think when he first arrived he was fine there - then the wheels fell off, and the truck started breaking down rather abruptly. Would be nice to see some smash and grab type players alongside him at the bottom. Let them dump and chase and get him the occasional wrister or tap in. The thought of him driving the 3rd line for another season is tough.

He's not as good as Cullen overall at this stage (compared to Cullen here in his upper 30s)- but objectively is about equal in the faceoff dot and has a much better shot. I mean Carter has 200 more goals with 300 less games played.

I'm still on the dump McGinn and Zucker train. I know folks think he's been great - but would we pay a 1st for a rental Zucker? Essentially what we're doing here...

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
May as well just blow it up then, cuz it's gonna be a bloodbath next year and the year after too.
Yea Toronto and Tampa aren’t going away and neither is Boston unless Bergeron and Krejci retire and at this rate why would they? If the Pens want to make the playoffs (they do) then they should try to win.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Funny that Hextall tried to sell Kap (probably a few months unofficially) and got nothing. Best to sell players playing well vs castoffs.

If we were to sell though...
-Pettersson is one, especially if we retain say $1M.
-Dumo has that "playoff experience" pedigree going for him, and isn't playing bad right now.
-Zucker for obvious reasons.
-Jarry is a UFA though there isn't a contenting team that is a "goalie" piece away. So doubt that happens.

Bottom 6? Gotta sell when they don't suck. Like we could have sold Heinen last year at the TD.

Also...
Sell only if we have UFA's we want to get in the off season. Just riding on the pics and prospects won't get us anywhere during the remainder of the Malkin/Crosby.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Pens could beat Carolina with the right moves/some luck. After the first round who knows because the true juggernauts will beat the hell out of each other, and the West sucks ass.

I don't see a 'series' against Boston even though I could see our stars stepping up. Just the way that team has played....so well rounded. I know folks compare them to Tampa who got swept that year - Boston is not like that. At all.

Carolina/New Jersey - totally agree with the assessment. I see a path to the conference finals for sure. This team just doesn't seemingly have the depth or goaltending to make anyone feel that a truly deep /great run is possible. But certainly anything is possible. I don't know, I just have lost faith in our goalie tandem - and haven't seen a single flash all year out of that bottom 6. They're not 1 move away...that's what you say about top 6 groups. That bottom 6 needs...well a lot (dead horse). And all that being said I'm not totally sold on the defensive group either. Hell I have Goaltending/Defense/Bottom 6 in that order as far as needs go. Only chance we seem to have is Sid/Geno breaking some playoff records - because at least they've shown some dominance games this year...meaning it's possible albeit unlikely.

Reactions: Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Keep in mind in Hextall's mind he thinks he's shrewd. Keeps to himself, doesn't talk to the media.

Prices should come down and this early spending should only be helping us.

Rakell was a last min acquisition.

I could see something similar.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
JT Miller @ 50% and Schenn for McGinn, Ruhwedel, 2024 1st, 2023 3rd and Puustinen (cap hits are petty even).

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
May as well just blow it up then, cuz it's gonna be a bloodbath next year and the year after too.
nah, it's definitely possible to revamp this roster a bit over the summer to make a better team. The top 6 is fine, the bottom 6 needs work, but it's way easier to address that even with some of the bad contracts than not.

I don't think this team should waive the white flag either, but if you're not getting anything as substantial as Chychrun, I don't think keeping Zucker or not makes much of a difference to the first round chances. And I don't even know if Chychrun would move the needle that much either.

You’d have to add a bit, but I could totally see McGinn+ for Greenway being a realistic deal.
I would be in favor of deals like this too. You don't need another year to see how McGinn will work out.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Carter in his current state actually wouldn't be a bad 4C. It's this 3rd line that brings nothing that hurts. Like literally nothing -defensively or offensively. I think when he first arrived he was fine there - then the wheels fell off, and the truck started breaking down rather abruptly. Would be nice to see some smash and grab type players alongside him at the bottom. Let them dump and chase and get him the occasional wrister or tap in. The thought of him driving the 3rd line for another season is tough.

He's not as good as Cullen overall at this stage (compared to Cullen here in his upper 30s)- but objectively is about equal in the faceoff dot and has a much better shot. I mean Carter has 200 more goals with 300 less games played.

I'm still on the dump McGinn and Zucker train. I know folks think he's been great - but would we pay a 1st for a rental Zucker? Essentially what we're doing here...
I get your thinking but they aren't going into the playoffs dumping Zucker for a 1st.

Doesn't set a good example for Geno or Sid.

If I am Geno/Sid I am livid they just got rid of one of our top 6 wingers.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The assets being thrown around by NYR, TBL, BOS, TOR and NJD are simply wild. TBH I'm kind of glad we are sputtering down the stretch and aren't feeling compelled to compete with that. Those teams are emptying the cupboard for the remainder of the Crosby contract to go all in this year. I'm glad they'll be out of ammo in 24 and 25 when we might actually have a chance again.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I get your thinking but they aren't going into the playoffs dumping Zucker for a 1st.

Doesn't set a good example for Geno or Sid.

If I am Geno/Sid I am livid they just got rid of one of our top 6 wingers.

Yeah I'm down with selling Zucker for a nice pick in theory but what do they do the rest of the year?

People are like "try out the kids... see what Puus does!"

Cool. Now step out of fantasy land for a minute and tell me what they ACTUALLY do.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Chychrun or another top line LD to replace Dumoulin is a need now or in the summer. Go do it if we can make the deal work. Blueger is a free agent at years end, so that problem solves itself if you let him walk. Carter is unmovable, but maybe we can talk him into an LTIR style retirement in the summer because he suddenly and spontaneously became allergic to playing hockey. That leaves McGinn. trade him if you can, buy him out if you must.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I hate to be the broken record here, but unless you can sell Carter to a team that desperately needs to make the cap floor and where he wants to go, that cap hit is not going anywhere. Best case scenario is he spends all 82 on the LTIR, because even if he retires in preseason, that hit stays there.

Reactions: Pengu

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Would ownership even let hextall sell? They probably think the playoff streak is important or some bs. The they think the world of Sullivan apparently.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
It’s an E3 that we might get Edmundson, what do peeps think about this? He may come with a green jacket

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Would ownership even let hextall sell? They probably think the playoff streak is important or some bs. The they think the world of Sullivan apparently.
They were talking about this the other day on one of the talk shows. You have a GM, who isn't the owners guy. And you have a coach, who isn't the GM's guy.

So how much are these guys, and owners, on the same page?

If they miss playoffs or fail to win a round, it wouldn't surprise me to see clean sweep of management.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We almost beat NYR with broccoli boy and a bunch of injuries last season. CBJ upset Tampa a few years ago. Maple Leafs have lost in the first round a ton of times. Hockey is weird and inconsistent. Thats why you bit the bullet and add that special piece. That Derek Grant or Matt Hunwick
If you added Kane and Tarasenko to the NYR roster last year do you think we would have taken them to 7 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad