GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
JT Miller is a million overpaid on his best day.

But the worst part about him is the NMC they gave him. Organizations get hard balled into that way too often these days. Every player worth 5 years is now worth NMC. I assume that's their agents pushing it to give them control...and once one person shows they're willing to do it, everyone has to follow suit - imo it hurts the sport and will continue to.

We're not at the point of 'super teams' and idk if it ever gets there...but when half the top 6'ers and top 4 D in the league end up with NTCs and NMCs....you have that possibility. Idk what could be done about it but maybe limit that to 10 or 15 teams (east coast/west coast thing) max? Limit how many per team? Idk.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
McGinn has been added to Seravalli’s board. There are a lot of intriguing players on it. I only skimmed it and I think the only other mention of the Pens is linking us to Bonino

Thanks for sharing. I was just looking to see if Seravalli or The Athletic updated their trade boards, and it looks like Seravalli is the only one so far.

I like the fact that he mentioned we may now see more traditional hockey trades rather than UFA dumps, because I think that fits what Hextall wants to do.

He didn't connect the Penguins to these players, but I'd be interested in at least exploring how this less high profile batch might fit:

C/LW Mikael Granlund - Basically does everything. Could jump onto the penalty kill. Could center the third line or play with Malkin as a faceoff-capable left wing. Real solid defensively, can make plays, score some goals. Nashville would have to retain for at least the first year, so the cost could jump.

LW Jordan Greenway - Buying low here, hoping that he rediscovers some of his offensive touch. The Penguins just don't have anyone with his size or physicality in the forward group. Is his 3.3 shooting percentage an aberration or a sign that something has gone seriously wrong and can't be fixed?

LW Lawson Crouse - I like him better than Schmaltz because he brings something the Pens don't have to their winger group with his size. Schmaltz is a capable offensive player, but he's the same size as Rust, Rakell, etc. Crouse is bigger, heavier and two years younger, not to mention under contract longer. You could either plug him in now alongside Malkin and bump Zucker to the third line, or let him play on the third line to get his feet wet before sliding up after Zucker departs.

G Joonas Korpisalo - I think Vejemelka is the better goalie, but Korpisalo won't cost as much. You could include DeSmith in the deal along with prospect(s) and/or pick(s). He's been on bad teams much of his career, but he's used to being the 1B or backup. Why bother? He's bigger and plays a slightly different style than DeSmith, whose athleticism gets out of control at times.

LW Nils Hoglander - I don't know what Vancouver is doing, but if they're going to make him available, why not? He's waivers exempt, so you can still stash him in the AHL this year. He's 22. He can essentially be in the mix for the bottom six next year.

RW Taylor Raddysh - A Heinen replacement. Bigger, sure as hell more productive on a bad team than Heinen has been this year with the Pens. Cheap. Would like him on the right wing a lot more than what we've seen recently.

C Colin White - If you send out Blueger in a deal to get more cap space and assets, White could be a nice replacement. He'd be another righty in the faceoff circle, which means you'd be less reliant on Carter to take all those righty draws. He's battled some injuries and is cheap enough at $1.1 million as an upcoming RFA that he doesn't handcuff you if he doesn't work out.

I don't know what the deals would look like, but if you can get Crouse, Korpisalo and Raddysh while moving out McGinn, DeSmith and Heinen, you'd be a much better team.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Crouse-Blueger-Raddysh
Poehling/O'Connor-Carter-Archibald

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Friedman-Ruhwedel

Jarry
Korpisalo

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
What about something around Chychrun+Ritchie? At least Richie would bring some size in our bottom6. Maybe even sneak Boyd in there too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
40% of Raddysh’s production is on the power play. I’d be fine with adding him if he was cheap, but he’s nothing more than a 4th liner IMO. Nice addition if you want to add some size to your bottom-6, but I wouldn’t pay much for him.

He’s someone I always acquire in NHL 23 but would really only want him as a 4th liner. O’Connor-Poehling-Raddysh is a 4th line I could definitely get on board with.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
What about something around Chychrun+Ritchie? At least Richie would bring some size in our bottom6. Maybe even sneak Boyd in there too.
If you're going to get size from Arizona, go for Lawson Crouse.

Nick Ritchie is the forward version of Jack Johnson.

40% of Raddysh’s production is on the power play. I’d be fine with adding him if he was cheap, but he’s nothing more than a 4th liner IMO. Nice addition if you want to add some size to your bottom-6, but I wouldn’t pay much for him.

He’s someone I always acquire in NHL 23 but would really only want him as a 4th liner.
His salary is under $1 million and there is no reason you can't put him on the second power play.

Reactions: Ulf5 and BillPrep

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you're going to get size from Arizona, go for Lawson Crouse.

Nick Ritchie is the forward version of Jack Johnson.

His salary is under $1 million and there is no reason you can't put him on the second power play.

Who’s he bumping from that unit? The 2nd PP right now when healthy is Zucker-Carter-Rust with Petry and POJ at the points. I don’t really see Raddysh as an upgrade on any of those guys on the power play.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Who’s he bumping from that unit? The 2nd PP right now when healthy is Zucker-Carter-Rust with Petry and POJ at the points. I don’t really see Raddysh as an upgrade on any of those guys on the power play.
Bump POJ.

POJ only joined it when Kapanen left.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I agree with the general consensus...Toronto, NYR, NJ, Tampa, and Boston are gonna be heading into the playoffs absolutely loaded to the gills. Unless Hextall has some JR-level wacko move up his sleeve, the Pens getting incrementally better in a trade isn't going to put them over the top. I think they should sell and let let the chips fall where they may.
Ritchie replacing McGinn is a win in my books.
Someone who can play center to bump down Carter and/or replace Blueger is another win.
Someone to bump down Dumo and POJ is another win.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens not in on the McCabe Lafferty would have been a decent deal for upgrading the D to a degree and a better bigger 4th RW. Move dumo to Boston and send Carter home. But Hextall has to satisfy sullys smurfs as he can't add size and grit to the roster. Hate to root for a miss the playoffs or a first round exit but that may what it takes for FSG to come to grips with the reality that this management group sucks.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I would take Ritchie for McGinn just to get out of his contract. I'd trade him straight up Travis Boyd as well.

McGinn's buyout would be 916K for four years. Might be worth trading him with 1 mil retention as well. Although I would hate to do that.

Reactions: Night Shift

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
We have a lack of assets. Let’s gather some while teams are paying crazy prices so we don’t have the same issue next year. The off season comes around and we have cap space and some actual picks/prospects
i like this. at least trade the guys you're not planning to sign next year. if they are not worth resigning, they are not worth keeping.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think there are options for the Pens but you have to commit to one. This stay in the middle thing is really dumb. It's the fastest way to get nowhere.

1) SELL and get younger. Make it quick and you have aging stars + really young talent. This could strike magic OR you have a young core to build around in the future while 87, 71, 58 sell tickets. I really would go this route.

2) Get bigger. This is the only time I'm saying it because the stars are older. So get bigger and trap the f*** out of teams. You will not outskate the younger Metro teams. So get bigger and hopefully play your game against them.

If you stay in the middle, you 100% will not out-skate top metro teams. If you stay in the middle you will not out-feisty the younger talent. You will just barely make the playoffs and lose quick. That's not good. Either be bad or be good. Do not sit in the middle.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think there are options for the Pens but you have to commit to one. This stay in the middle thing is really dumb. It's the fastest way to get nowhere.

1) SELL and get younger. Make it quick and you have aging stars + really young talent. This could strike magic OR you have a young core to build around in the future while 87, 71, 58 sell tickets. I really would go this route.

2) Get bigger. This is the only time I'm saying it because the stars are older. So get bigger and trap the f*** out of teams. You will not outskate the younger Metro teams. So get bigger and hopefully play your game against them.

If you stay in the middle, you 100% will not out-skate top metro teams. If you stay in the middle you will not out-feisty the younger talent. You will just barely make the playoffs and lose quick. That's not good. Either be bad or be good. Do not sit in the middle.
Yeah, truth.

The biggest sin this team has made in the last year is trying to pretend it can still play the 2015-2016 game. It can't. At least, not with this roster and not consistently. So, either get players who can play it (and not just players Sullivan likes, but young, hungry players) and make some hard decisions with the vets. Or lean in to playing a completely different kind of Pens hockey that can be more forgiving for aging stars.

Geno and Sid have given pretty much everything you can hope for. It's the rest of the roster and the system that's failing them at this point, not the other way around.

Reactions: ColePens

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

This is precisely why I hate the "do nothing" approach. It neither helps in the short term or long term.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

They can only call so many penalties, trap and interfere like it's always in style..... And it is.

Reactions: ColePens and Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad