GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I just don’t see what we can do to even get to the level that the rest of the East is currently at.

That’s why I am hoping we make forward thinking moves and not something drastic and dumb.

Reactions: Andy99

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think it is amazing that Eklund continues to have people read his content after what seems like 20 years of made up rumors.
I have always wondered this myself. Until I read more of what the Eklund followers believe. It's like the blurring of fantasy and reality. They say they don't care whether it's made up or not, "it's still talking hockey".

So that's how he stays in business. Appetite for hockey talk, whether fabricated or not.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Would ownership even let hextall sell? They probably think the playoff streak is important or some bs. The they think the world of Sullivan apparently.
No but getting to the playoffs is important just ask any NHL player past and present. Anything can happen.

These same conversations were happening last year when we were up against the Rangers. 75% of the board said we were toast and that's no joke.

Turned out to be a pretty wild series

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
If you added Kane and Tarasenko to the NYR roster last year do you think we would have taken them to 7 games?
Do we get healthy Jarry, Rakell, and Crosby? It is hard to say. Kane is really good in the playoffs. Other teams scare me more. For whatever reason I think Devils, Bruins, and Canes give us much more trouble

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Who do we have to sell that's worth these prices? Zucker maybe gets what Niederreiter did, and Dumoulin gets ..? He's not getting McCabe's return.
You never know. Dumo is a Stanley Cup champion, more or less similar numbers to McCabe this year.
Ben Chiarot returned a 1st last year to Montreal, unprotected to both

You just never know what GM's are willing to pay

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
You never know. Dumo is a Stanley Cup champion, more or less similar numbers to McCabe this year.
Ben Chiarot returned a 1st last year to Montreal, unprotected to both

You just never know what GM's are willing to pay
Also McCabe has the same amount of playoff experience that Ron Hainsey had when he arrived here. I’m sure with 50% retained Dumo would score a late first or a couple seconds. But it doesn’t matter as he won’t be traded

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Eklund lol…nope, hate the move…this guy has term on him and he’s not that good and has been injured
Yup, terrible season and still under contract for next year. I would prefer Hextall doing nothing than him going after Joel Edmundson :banghead:

Also McCabe has the same amount of playoff experience that Ron Hainsey had when he arrived here. I’m sure with 50% retained Dumo would score a late first or a couple seconds. But it doesn’t matter as he won’t be traded
It's too bad our GM has no vision and is not able to be both a seller and buyer!!

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Miller's out week-to-week. That usually means like a month.
Not sure if that changes anything for you but just throwing it out there.
I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't change anything for Vancouver and them having any interests in that package while having to retain 50% of Miller's salary for the next 4 years lol

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't change anything for Vancouver and them having any interests in that package while having to retain 50% of Miller's salary for the next 4 years lol
It's 2 separate contracts. You can only retain on this year.

And I was talking about the user's interest in the player. What I said is worth mentioning since he'd be unavailable for like half our remaining games and we're on the playoff line.

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Miller's out week-to-week. That usually means like a month.
Not sure if that changes anything for you but just throwing it out there.
I like Miller quite a bit, however that contract is awfully long and at 8 million per? Hard pass! I think it's better we actually sell some players off as I've been saying since before last year's trade deadline. I doubt they will at this point but that's the course I would take.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
McGinn has been added to Seravalli’s board. There are a lot of intriguing players on it. I only skimmed it and I think the only other mention of the Pens is linking us to Bonino

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
It's 2 separate contracts. You can only retain on this year.

And I was talking about the user's interest in the player. What I said is mentioning since he'd be unavailable for like half our remaining games and we're on the playoff line.
Got you. Forgot it was a seperate deal that's only kicking in next season.

Anyway, not sure if his attitude would be ideal here with the vets we have in the room.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
They were talking about this the other day on one of the talk shows. You have a GM, who isn't the owners guy. And you have a coach, who isn't the GM's guy.

So how much are these guys, and owners, on the same page?

If they miss playoffs or fail to win a round, it wouldn't surprise me to see clean sweep of management.
It is wild to me to buy a team and then not want to deal with them at all. FSG closed the deal Dec. 9, 2021.

Reactions: td_ice

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I get your thinking but they aren't going into the playoffs dumping Zucker for a 1st.

Doesn't set a good example for Geno or Sid.

If I am Geno/Sid I am livid they just got rid of one of our top 6 wingers.

If you freed up Zucker's cap space you could turn around and get a player like Erik Karlsson. Is that the move? I mean, I'd trade Petry out for him in a nanosecond...but I'm just saying. Guys like Karlsson, even [and most likely] retained still have a very small window of teams to go to.

*** Why are we on that list? We're not at the cutting edge - even though we're spending like it. *** i.e. this team has the roster flexibility of a true contender - whereas we're playing like a team a year or two away. This team needs some roster and financial freedom in the worst way. I frankly fear going into the Summer when prices on things really aren't any lower - coming off Zucker/Dumo/Jarry...we end up signing a goalie who costs more and either re-signing Zucker, or Dumo, or both - and come out spending the exact same money. Raise for Jarry eats the paycut for Dumo. Zucker still gets that 5Mish deal. Would be terrible.

As far as how they'll feel - I don't think Sid would care tbh...and Geno likes Rust, no idea how attached he is to Zucker. He's not a 'shakeup' trade guy like Rust/Guentzel would be.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I like Miller quite a bit, however that contract is awfully long and at 8 million per? Hard pass! I think it's better we actually sell some players off as I've been saying since before last year's trade deadline. I doubt they will at this point but that's the course I would take.
I think he could live up to 8 mil per for a few years, since he's a tremendous PP player and would replace Jake there (unless Sully's insane). So he'd get the usage. Can play Center and give you 70+ points. He'd regress hard later and his contract doesn't match our window at all.

Depends if someone's cool with just getting him to help for a few years when we're a playoff team, while not giving a damn about the remainder of his deal when we're rebuilding.

I would use the money differently but I could see the merit in him helping improve our horrific finishing and boosting the C depth in a massive way.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Assuming VAN holds on to Miller because of the injury/timing, getting them to retain on that next deal (if they trade him post 7-1) is going to cost a fortune in assets. Hard pass.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I have no interest in Miller due to his insane contract extension. Hard pass on that.

The only player I want to spend big time assets on is Chychrun. Send out Dumoulin for a pick and figure out a way to pull off Chychrun without including Pickering. I’ve said how much I like Smith already, but Smith makes a ton of sense to trade if you’re also adding Chychrun IMO.

I’d try to do:

-McGinn and NJ’s 2023 3rd to Minnesota for Greenway
-Dunoulin to Buffalo for Vegas’ 2023 2nd
-Smith, Broz, a 2023 1st and Vegas’ 2023 2nd to Arizona for Chychrun

I think you’d have a little bit of cap space left after this while you’d still have your 2023 2nd and all of your 2024 picks. I wouldn’t look to do anything else major but you do have the ability to do a bit more. This year is a lost cause IMO so I’m just focused on adding Greenway and Chychrun for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad