GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah, I feel like anyone with working eyes this year could tell this bottom 6 doesn't work, and yet zero effort was made to fix it besides waiving Kapanen. And that probably wouldn't have even happened if our cap wasn't already jacked up.

And on top of that, we haven't had a tenacious bottom 6 since 2017, maybe. Hextall is part of the problem, but he's not the source of the bad bottom 6.

Right. If we'd have had the cap space to activate Rutta, he never would have been waived.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Moving Zucker is essentially waving the white flag on the season unless you make another addition elsewhere or call up someone from WBS and said call-up actually makes an immediate impact
there is a better chance of that, than us doing anything in the playoffs

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Jeannot playing 12 minutes a game would definitely change that all by himself. No doubt no doubt.

The Pens have a glaring weakness on LD compared to the good teams in the East. Especially when POJ plays like a rookie.
I like POJ, but I do agree that he will take time to develop. I do like him paired with Rutta though, as a stabilizing force. We were lucky that during Letang's younger years, we had Gonchar.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Then it becomes a little less optimistic that they can truly plug the holes. And, I will say it loud and clear - it WILL NOT MATTER what additions are made to the bottom 6 as long as Mike Sullivan sees Jeff Carter as a 3rd line player. He should be a sheltered 4th line player or, on a cup team, your 13F. As long as Carter gets 3C minutes and responsibilities, this team will go nowhere. Additions that do NOT involves directly impacting Carter's ice time, is irrelevant.
This rings with so much truth. The thing people who are screaming for upgrades to the bottom six aren't remembering is that it would also require Sullivan to stop obsessing over Carter being our shutdown 3C.

If we'd added Jeannot/Barbashev, it would have meant Heinen or DOC would sit. Carter would still be trotted out 16 minutes a night as our all-purpose 3C and the third line likely continues to suck (just a little less than before).

Upgrading the personnel won't matter much with this coach and his stubborn usage.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To be fair re: Carter's minutes they have actually been reduced a good bit lately. They seem to be coming up with a more equal split between L3 and L4.

Though it sure seems like Carter still often finds a way to be a liability in 12 minutes instead of 16. So I'm probably just splitting hairs.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I wouldn't hate going into sell mode with these prices.

Yeah between the prices and everyone in the East loading up, I wouldn’t mind selling off some of the upcoming free agents

I’m holding out some hope I get to see an awkward Kevin Weekes selfie video announcing a Chychrun trade to Pittsburgh but that price has to be astronomical.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
After Chychrun, Zucker and Dumo would be the best players available. I really hope they sell and then retool in the summer. The East is an absolute blood bath this year

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Genuinely no idea what Hextall possibly gets done if Sam Lafferty is part of a package that brings in a first round pick :laugh:

Reactions: domaug

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I agree with the general consensus...Toronto, NYR, NJ, Tampa, and Boston are gonna be heading into the playoffs absolutely loaded to the gills. Unless Hextall has some JR-level wacko move up his sleeve, the Pens getting incrementally better in a trade isn't going to put them over the top. I think they should sell and let let the chips fall where they may.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I agree with the general consensus...Toronto, NYR, NJ, Tampa, and Boston are gonna be heading into the playoffs absolutely loaded to the gills. Unless Hextall has some JR-level wacko move up his sleeve, the Pens getting incrementally better in a trade isn't going to put them over the top. I think they should sell and let let the chips fall where they may.
Don't forget Carolina.. I mean people don't want to hear it, I know it sucks since we brought the core back and that Sid and Geno are having fantastic seasons, but this team will have a hard time competing come playoff time. Add Sullivan as our coach, no chance..

Reactions: Andy99

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
At least BOS will face the TOR/TBL winner, only one team can come out of that, if Pens get 1st WC and somehow beat CAR, then would face winner of NYR/NJD. Maybe PIT and Jarry get hot at the right time and can go on a run.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
We have a lack of assets. Let’s gather some while teams are paying crazy prices so we don’t have the same issue next year. The off season comes around and we have cap space and some actual picks/prospects

Reactions: The Old Master

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I think we should do something. I don’t have a great feeling if we do make the playoffs, but there is no guarantee that we make the playoffs after this year. As long as you are in the playoffs there is a small chance you can go on a hot streak and make some noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad