GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Chychrun would not be on the 3rd pair, if he is Sully has waaaay bigger problems then misusing players.
Well if the reports are true, Sully's the one lobbying for Hextall to go out and acquire Chychrun. -edit- So he obviously likes the player and values him very highly. I just don't know if it's the right decision to throw every single available asset at landing a guy who isn't a perfect fit. Letang and Petry are locked in for at least two more seasons with this team, so it's not a situation where the top-4 RD is gonna be changing.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
At this point, I'm expecting the Pens to keep playing just well enough to convince Hextall that he was right not to sell. But I'm also expecting that, pretty much no matter what, they aren't going very far in the playoffs.

As such, I voted for the most entertaining option: a move out of left field. Just so long as "out of left field" is more like "acquiring a guy we didn't know was available" or "some crazy three-team deal with tons of pieces to make the cap work", and not much like "spending the equivalent of an entire draft class on a third liner."

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If we are trading with Arizona, we may as well get Chychrun, Vejmelka, and Schmaltz

Chych, Vej, Schmalty

for

Rust, McGinn, Jarry, 1st 2023, 1st 2024, 2nd 2024, choice of Pickering or Smith

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jake-Sid-Rakell
Puustinen-Geno-Rust
DOC-Poehling-Carter
Heinen-Blueger-Archibald

Petts-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta

Jarry
CDS

If you go with that lineup for the rest of the season, I don't know that I believe that group is dramatically worse than the one the Pens have been running for the past few months, and the assets from Zucker and Dumo can either be used to help a depleted prospect pool or flipped later for more immediate help. Losing Zucker is way bigger than losing Dumo, imo, and while I really like what Zucker's done this season, he's behind Jake, Rakell and Rust production-wise and I think a potential 1st rounder and seeing what Puustinen (or DOC) have in a scoring line role is worth moving a guy who makes no sense to re-sign.

Waive McGinn. Trade Zucker and Dumo at 50% retained for the best you can get; I imagine there's a good chance you walk away with something like a 1st and a 2nd, or two 2nd rounders and a decent prospect. Promote some youth.

If "selling" like that is unacceptable--and I don't think that's selling in the sense that it tanks the season or anything--then just waive McGinn and sit on your hands while things play out however they do. I'm not sure it makes sense now or moving forward to get into a bidding war for anybody realistically linked to the Pens. I like Chychrun a lot, I like Schmaltz, I like Crouse (but that contract sucks), I think Vejmelka is intriguing. I just don't know that any combination of those guys is worth going bonkers over with where this team's at now or moving forward. Especially if the Meier and Jeannot deals set the tone for prices for the rest of the week leading up to TDL day. Let's be honest, the best TDL addition for this team would be Letang remembering that he was a dude who received Norris votes a year ago. Dude's been f***ing tragic this season. :laugh:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If we are trading with Arizona, we may as well get Chychrun, Vejmelka, and Schmaltz

Chych, Vej, Schmalty

for

Rust, McGinn, Jarry, 1st 2023, 1st 2024, 2nd 2024, choice of Pickering or Smith
They won't trade Rust.

I think if they were to go for Chychrun, Smith or Joseph would be included. The idea would be to play Chychrun with either Letang or Petry this year - ideally Letang - and slide Dumoulin down to the third pair and the remaining player of Joseph/Smith would be the 7th D for the playoffs. They'd let Dumoulin walk and go Chychrun-Pettersson-POJ/Smith on the left side next year.

And if they're going to get a goalie, the idea would be to run the new goalie in tandem with Jarry for the rest of the year. That's what makes Vejemelka attractive - he doesn't have an outrageous cap hit and could easily settle into a 1A/1B arrangement more than DeSmith can.

The larger you try to make any deal with Arizona, the more unwieldy it gets and the less it makes sense.

If I had to guess, if they were to target Chychrun they'd do something like McGinn, Smith, Pickering and either the 2023 or 2024 1st, with Arizona maybe retaining a little bit just for this year.

I also think the only other area they maybe target are an upgrade in McGinn and an upgrade on Heinen. Being realistic, Carter isn't going anywhere and they like Blueger too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Would people do Ty Smith, 23 1st, 23 3rd, 24 2nd for Chychrun?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Re: Chychrun, it feels like you're probably only gonna get two decent seasons of Penguins hockey out of the guy with where this team is as far as the era goes. His 10-team NTC kicks in this summer, and in the summer of 2025, he's gonna need a new, probably colossal deal. With this team's recent trajectory, I don't think it's out of the question that in two years, the wheels will have fully fallen off, and Chychrun will be 27 on a team facing a lengthy, ugly rebuild. Probably one that lasts long enough for him to be aging out by the time the team's built back up and ready to legitimately compete again. /shrug

Something to think about.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
As far as Washington and Pittsburgh being linked to Chychrun, Arizona would be smart to snag 1st rounders in 2025 and/or 2026 from those two because by then, they'll be top-10, maybe top-5 picks.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
As for the left field option…

There’s a Pittsburgh boy in Vancouver who can play all forward positions, is pretty good and signed long term. “Cheap” this season where Vancouver can also retain.

It would have been nice to have Kapanen to give to JR, but…

1st, 2nd ‘24, McGinn, Hallander or Poulin. Don’t know if that makes sense, add or subtract, its just the concept.

JT Miller could be the best 3C in the league or be an elite add next to Crosby, making that line harder to play.

Next season he could be a Zucker replacement, or he could be a Guentzel replacement if we try to cash in at the draft.

His contract extension is too long to be good value throughout, but for the period it matters it is likely fair value at 8 million.

No one we draft this year is likely to be a factor while Sid and Geno could still will us anywhere we want to go.

Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
As for the left field option…

There’s a Pittsburgh boy in Vancouver who can play all forward positions, is pretty good and signed long term. “Cheap” this season where Vancouver can also retain.

It would have been nice to have Kapanen to give to JR, but…

1st, 2nd ‘24, McGinn, Hallander or Poulin. Don’t know if that makes sense, add or subtract, its just the concept.

JT Miller could be the best 3C in the league or be an elite add next to Crosby, making that line harder to play.

Next season he could be a Zucker replacement, or he could be a Guentzel replacement if we try to cash in at the draft.

His contract extension is too long to be good value throughout, but for the period it matters it is likely fair value at 8 million.

No one we draft this year is likely to be a factor while Sid and Geno could still will us anywhere we want to go.

Hmmmm.
JR could have claimed Kap for free, no?

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Trade McGinn and CSD and picks for Kuraly and Korpisalo (I read Korp is among leaders since Dec).
Blueger for subscription to Red Line Report since our scouts suck.
Pick up a LD around $4-5 million to be Dumo's replacement for next year and can help transition game this year if Letang or Petry get hurt again.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is completely serious. I had a dream last night that @Zirakzigil had posted that we were locking the salary cap thread because "you 5 can't behave yourself" in a reply to Soggy Biscuits (can't remember what they changed their names to) and had opened a new thread for the trade deadline talks.

Basically, you can say I can tell the future when I go to sleep after taking an edible.
Me either, but I miss that guy. He was as insightful as he was handsome.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I don't know how stoked I am to throw JR a life preserver by getting him out of that f***ing awful JT Miller deal. :laugh: Dude dropped from ~100pts to what's looking like low 70s in the span of a calendar year, and is gonna have a 15-team NTC and be making $8 million against the cap until he's 37. Plus, he seems like a prick--not shying away from throwing teammates under the bus a la Orpik's "nothing's my fault" act.

Hard pass.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Yeah, I don't know how stoked I am to throw JR a life preserver by getting him out of that f***ing awful JT Miller deal. :laugh: Dude dropped from ~100pts to what's looking like low 70s in the span of a calendar year, and is gonna have a 15-team NTC and be making $8 million against the cap until he's 37. Plus, he seems like a prick--not shying away from throwing teammates under the bus a la Orpik's "nothing's my fault" act.

Hard pass.

He is above PPG over the past four seasons (total) and has 54 points in 59 games this season. Has 24 points in 23 games in ‘23 so far.
All situations player.

For what he brings off the puck I dont think low 70 points would be bad @8 million?
You’d pay that in UFA as well.

I’m not really arguing for it. Deeply conflicted on what is our best course myself.
Just saying he ticks a lot of boxes and that we are likely one of the teams that could live with him being an anchor late on better than others because we’d be in rebuild territory anyway. And we’d still get those years where we are not.
This meaning also, his contract inevitable turning real sour, that the price might be something we could swing even if we have nothing in the way of elite prospects to dangle.

I’d rather Meier for instance, sure, but we could not have matched what New Jersey gave up.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sleepy owes JR a favor for somehow convincing Mario to hire Sleepy’s dumb, unqualified ass as the Pens GM. Plus, the Miller contract probably makes sleepy very excited, a soon to be 30 year old signed to max term.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
There is only one thing I am pretty much sure about: if we are to seriously consider any kind of competitivness in the play offs (or getting there) they MUST get a 3line center, and a good one. Not sure who could that be or how to go about, but without that Carter will kill any momentum and any two wingers you get on his flanks. That and throw a prayer that Letang suddenly start playing better and Jarry is at least slightly above average.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Chychrun is the kind of player the Pens should be targeting if they want to remain relevant...the problem is, that's only a start toward the overhaul this team actually needs, and he would cost most of the Pens' valuable assets to acquire. I think making the team older in the offseason was a big swing and a miss.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad