GDT: Penguins Trade Deadline thread: What can we get for 3 packs of gum and a signed hockey puck?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

We want?!

• A shrubbery

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • Chychrun

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • Karlsson

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Some other big name player

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Gritty bottom 6 player

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Gritty bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Offensive bottom pairing defenseman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goalie

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Some crazy move out of left field

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • To be sellers

Votes: 32 28.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
*** Keep this thread to Penguins related trades, rumors, rumblings, etc only please.***

skipper-madagascar.gif

Keep NHL related talk to this thread please:

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Chychrun is the kind of player the Pens should be targeting if they want to remain relevant...the problem is, that's only a start toward the overhaul this team actually needs, and he would cost most of the Pens' valuable assets to acquire. I think making the team older in the offseason was a big swing and a miss.
I think a huge chunk of this board wants to make a big trade, simply to make a big trade. with the Pens injury issues last player they ought to trade for is Chychrun

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Tampa low key f***ed up the whole trade market with the Jeannot deal.
I doubt it. I'm pretty sure all the GMs collectively can agree that was a one off.

If sellers set their prices too high they'd risk gaining nothing. They may start high but they'll drop when the deadline approaches.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I know everyone wants to talk about Chychrun but I don't see this move happening. Look at Sullys LD

#1 Dumo. That's his ride or die. The only way it makes sense to me is if Hex trades Dumo and nets picks to back fill some lost by Chychrun.

#2 Petts. The paper thin dude has been good enough as a middle pairing guy. He doesn't need bumped.

#3 POJ/Smith/Fried all acceptable 3rd pairing players.

In conclusion. Unless we are recouping picks on Dumo. I don't see the point of adding Chychrun. All signs point to a Dumo extension this offseason. Change my mind.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
We 100% aren't selling anything. That much is clear. So realistically what moves are out there?

I believe we see a mid round pick trade for a middle 6 winger. And that'll be the deadline.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
As for the left field option…

There’s a Pittsburgh boy in Vancouver who can play all forward positions, is pretty good and signed long term. “Cheap” this season where Vancouver can also retain.

It would have been nice to have Kapanen to give to JR, but…

1st, 2nd ‘24, McGinn, Hallander or Poulin. Don’t know if that makes sense, add or subtract, its just the concept.

JT Miller could be the best 3C in the league or be an elite add next to Crosby, making that line harder to play.

Next season he could be a Zucker replacement, or he could be a Guentzel replacement if we try to cash in at the draft.

His contract extension is too long to be good value throughout, but for the period it matters it is likely fair value at 8 million.

No one we draft this year is likely to be a factor while Sid and Geno could still will us anywhere we want to go.

Hmmmm.
Miller would be the *worst* and most overpaid 3C in the league lol

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There is only one thing I am pretty much sure about: if we are to seriously consider any kind of competitivness in the play offs (or getting there) they MUST get a 3line center, and a good one. Not sure who could that be or how to go about, but without that Carter will kill any momentum and any two wingers you get on his flanks. That and throw a prayer that Letang suddenly start playing better and Jarry is at least slightly above average.
Lars Eller is available but would the Caps trade w us? Probably not without a significant overpay…

Craig Button said something that I think rings true: that the Pens more pressing need is speed in the forward group, not necessarily a specific position…I do think that’s true if they’re hoping to beat NJD or Carolina ever…not sure who is available at this point who can provide that?

Uh...weren't both Rackell and Carter rentals?

Sheesh :rolleyes:.
They were but they didn’t spend “significant “ assets on them, by which Hextall means a first lol

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Lars Eller is available but would the Caps trade w us? Probably not without a significant overpay…

Craig Button said something that I thing rings true: that the Pens more pressing need is speed in the forward group, not necessarily a specific position…I do think that’s true if they’re hoping to beat NJD or Carolina ever…not sure who is available at this point who can provide that?
i hear that a kid that plays for the blues is very fast. could be had for just our first.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I don’t know what “worst” means here, but as Miller’s contract doesn’t kick in until after this season and retention for this one is a given, he surely wouldn’t be.

He would definitely pout over his role, and as one of the worst defensive forwards in the league this year I don’t think he’d be suited to starting 70% of the time in the Dzone with Heinen and Carter or something

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
This team isn't going to sell. Hextall thinks he is shrewd and will go bargain bin shopping last min like with Rakell. He will have more cap and cost should be at their cheapest.

It's how he is wired and it's our reality of selling our soul to the devil for all these years and not having much assets or cap space.

Only way we see something early is if something opens up to him and falls on his lap.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This team isn't going to sell. Hextall thinks he is shrewd and will go bargain bin shopping last min like with Rakell. He will have more cap and cost should be at their cheapest.

It's how he is wired and it's our reality of selling our soul to the devil for all these years and not having much assets or cap space.

Only way we see something early is if something opens up to him and falls on his lap.
Rakell was obviously a good get. If we can extract the same value this time around I would have no problem with that. Obviously we'd be going for a depth player possibly two but relative to the player we got back in that deal, we extracted very good value and signed him long term.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My hope is that Arizona drops the price on Chychrun and Hextall is able to get him for like this year's first and maybe Pickering or something like that rather than the original ask.

My expectation is that Arizona doesn't lower the price, Hextall doesn't give in, and in the end we end up trading a mid round pick or two for some veteran bottom six help. And call it a day.

Reactions: Turin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Who's the best player to Target whereby they're both physical and have good skating ability? And to be clear I'm talking about a forward.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
We 100% aren't selling anything. That much is clear. So realistically what moves are out there?

I believe we see a mid round pick trade for a middle 6 winger. And that'll be the deadline.
I agree with this, but I could also see them adding a mediocre 3rd goalie on the cheap too. Not sure of the cap implications since he's buried in the minors, but maybe someone like Nedeljokovic

Reactions: Flying Dego
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad