Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hypothetically… with FSG at the helm now and not being afraid to spend money, build a perennial contender, and if Dubas ends up here. Looking ahead to next year, would it be plausible that the Penguins are trying to align the stars to bring Auston Matthews to Pittsburgh?

It wouldn’t take too many cap gymnastics if Jake isn’t in the picture. No need to look for a 3rd line center when you bring in a 26 year old elite 1st line one instead.
Why would we pay a guy 10M+ to play 3C?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Hypothetically… with FSG at the helm now and not being afraid to spend money, build a perennial contender, and if Dubas ends up here. Looking ahead to next year, would it be plausible that the Penguins are trying to align the stars to bring Auston Matthews to Pittsburgh?

It wouldn’t take too many cap gymnastics if Jake isn’t in the picture. No need to look for a 3rd line center when you bring in a 26 year old elite 1st line one instead.
If Toronto is dumb enough - or Matthews is pissed off enough - for him to make it to market, the Penguins absolutely will have the cap space to pursue him.

It may take some finessing. But if they're smart about how they fill holes this year and don't overspend, it could absolutely be possible.

If it were to happen, Crosby and Matthews would be the top two centers in any order, with Malkin moving to the wing.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Matthews would be our 1C, come on.
I know, just saying to poster we aint paying 10M+ for a 3C lol that would be dumb.

Miller Crosby Rakell
Malkin Mathews Rust
That's 4 centers in the top 6, we will need 2 more to make the first all center top 6 in the cap era. Nobody would beat that C depth and with injuries we can easily plop a winger to his natural position and not miss a beat. You could also try and make Miller an RW so we can have the MMM line, it will probably be MMM MMM MMM good!

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Malkin-Matthews-Miller

Reactions: Lustaf

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'm kind of hoping that Dubas will do what he likely would've had to do in Toronto and make a high profile hockey trade.

If you move Rust for a power forward type on a similar contract, it would diversify the top six while maintaining scoring punch.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'm kind of hoping that Dubas will do what he likely would've had to do in Toronto and make a high profile hockey trade.

If you move Rust for a power forward type on a similar contract, it would diversify the top six while maintaining scoring punch.
Rust ain’t going nowhere with that NMC…Zucker’s former spot or Jake…of course, we could move Rust to L3 and bring in another top six RW

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Rust ain’t going nowhere with that NMC…Zucker’s former spot or Jake…of course, we could move Rust to L3 and bring in another top six RW
I think destinations would be limited but that you have a chance of convincing Rust that a move would be in his bed interest.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think destinations would be limited but that you have a chance of convincing Rust that a move would be in his bed interest.
Doubtful but even if so, why trade him when we’ll get little back?…he’s a bounce back candidate this year as his shooting % was below norms…I’d rather sign a FA or trade someone who can get us a better return…as I said before, the top six trade candidate is Jake…why sign him for another six year contract at like $8+ mil? Diminishing returns…Id like a GM who considers trade offers for him this summer or at the TDL

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Doubtful but even if so, why trade him when we’ll get little back?…he’s a bounce back candidate this year as his shooting % was below norms…I’d rather sign a FA or trade someone who can get us a better return
I think Rust will get an excellent return. He's absolutely a bounce back candidate from a shooting percentage, which will be attractive to teams. But for the Penguins' purposes, unless he returns to being a strong forechecker and being physical again, he's redundant. Guentzel and Rakell have better pure offensive skills and Rakell is more effective around the net.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think Rust will get an excellent return. He's absolutely a bounce back candidate from a shooting percentage, which will be attractive to teams. But for the Penguins' purposes, unless he returns to being a strong forechecker and being physical again, he's redundant. Guentzel and Rakell have better pure offensive skills and Rakell is more effective around the net.

You are in a dream word if you think Rust gets moved

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I don't think there is any way Rust gets moved. But I agree that he should if possible and the bolded is spot on.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I really disagree about the return for him, although I’m sympathetic to your characterization of him as a player, particularly going forward…I think other teams will see that as well and he won’t get nearly the interest, especially if he agrees to only a few teams to accept a trade to and they’re not really all that hot for him lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I really disagree about the return for him, although I’m sympathetic to your characterization of him as a player, particularly going forward…I think other teams will see that as well and he won’t get nearly the interest, especially if he agrees to only a few teams to accept a trade to and they’re not really all that hot for him lol

Hot take... I'd dump him for nothing if it meant the whole cap hit went bye-byes.

Though I'm not much of a current-version Rust believer. Obviously. Dude should be flat out ashamed of his game last season. Maybe in that regard he's a bounceback candidate if he has any pride.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I know, just saying to poster we aint paying 10M+ for a 3C lol that would be dumb.

That's 4 centers in the top 6, we will need 2 more to make the first all center top 6 in the cap era. Nobody would beat that C depth and with injuries we can easily plop a winger to his natural position and not miss a beat. You could also try and make Miller an RW so we can have the MMM line, it will probably be MMM MMM MMM good!

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Malkin-Matthews-Miller
Rakell can also play center… so that makes 5 out of 6 lol

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Piss on the top 6. Crosby, Geno, Jake, Rust, Rakell, and then who ever plug in will score enough points.

We need a 3rd line that can play and a coach who won’t handicap them.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Piss on the top 6. Crosby, Geno, Jake, Rust, Rakell, and then who ever plug in will score enough points.

We need a 3rd line that can play and a coach who won’t handicap them.

We need a reliable goalie and a #1D before anything.

That means acquiring a good defenseman and it also means Letang bouncing back. Letang's game was bad last year.

Of course a better 3rd line would help.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Can’t believe how underrated Guentzel is on this board.

Scores 40 on a non playoff team. What the hell would Bennett of done any differently? Beat Nashville by himself?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Rust is absolutely not waiving his NMC only a year after signing his extension. No chance.

The only trade pieces the Penguins realistically have if they want to make a big "splash" trade are Petry, Guentzel and Pettersson. Everyone else either has ironclad NTCs or wouldn't be big enough names for a "splash" trade.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Rust is absolutely not waiving his NMC only a year after signing his extension. No chance.

The only trade pieces the Penguins realistically have if they want to make a big "splash" trade are Petry, Guentzel and Pettersson. Everyone else either has ironclad NTCs or wouldn't be big enough names for a "splash" trade.
I'm fully on board with moving Petry. Might even be the first trade I'd explore. Also fine with moving Pettersson to help reshape the team. You'd fill both by trying to get slightly less expensive players who provide a different dimension.

I do not trade Guentzel. 40 goal scorers are too hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad