Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Yeah imagine the wins we’d generate with Letang, Rutta and Chad Ruhwedel as our RH D depth.
Funny how you left out Ty Smith and the possibility of replacing Petry in general anyway. Do I need to spell out the entire roster during every post? Okay.

Orlov-Letang
Pettersson-Smith
POJ-Rutta

But you’re saying this is better; yes you said the following is better.

Pettersson-Letang
POJ-Petry
Rutta-Ruhwedel

Reactions: Lustaf

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Funny how you left out Ty Smith and the possibility of replacing Petry in general anyway. Do I need to spell out the entire roster during every post? Okay.

Orlov-Letang
Pettersson-Smith
POJ-Rutta

But you’re saying this is better; yes you said the following is better.

Pettersson-Letang
POJ-Petry
Rutta-Ruhwedel

I’d sign Orlov and keep Petry. Both those D groups suck.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
I’d sign Orlov and keep Petry. Both those D groups suck.
I would too. But the cap says our forwards are going to suck even worse. Not too mention the net.

…I think Ty Smith can and will be a John Marino though. Not sure how you feel about him.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Again, wait til around the trade deadline to consider trading Guentzel. If the Pens are pacing to be in the playoffs you hold on to him. If not, you entertain offers and sell to the highest bidder. I think he'd return a lot at the TDL.
Depends what the offers are this summer…if you can land a first in the top 10 of this draft, might be worth it , as next year’s draft isn’t as good…

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Good thing DOC doesn’t work with skilled
players…he might have to get more than 8 min a night and not PK…how horrible is that!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think for goaltending I’d be fine with Andersen at like 2x5. He’s solid, playoff-proven and it’s movable if something better becomes available.

Younger guys like Hill or Korpisalo are going to command more term.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not too sure about DOC being "the Penguins' Tkachuk" but I think it's becoming more and more clear that he has more to offer that hasn't been utilized. I'll be curious to see if his role is expanded next season. I think he could handle it.

EDIT: @jmelm would be proud... wherever he is.

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm not too sure about DOC being "the Penguins' Tkachuk" but I think it's becoming more and more clear that he has more to offer that hasn't been utilized. I'll be curious to see if his role is expanded next season. I think he could handle it.

EDIT: @jmelm would be proud... wherever he is.
Doc has been great in the AHL and yeah he's doing really well in this tournament.

Imo there is a player there. He's a breakout candidate this year I think.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't think DOC's anything special, but he's cheap and has room to grow. Give him a 3rd line role and if he excels, throw him on with Geno.

Cheap and room to grow (i.e. younger, hungry players) should be the mantra moving forward. :laugh:
I think his floor is solid third liner and his ceiling might be low end top six winger.

I dunno, we'll see how it goes. But I like him a lot.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Doc has been great in the AHL and yeah he's doing really well in this tournament.

Imo there is a player there. He's a breakout candidate this year I think.

I know these short tournaments are often indicative of nothing. But it always piques my interest when a young-ish player like DOC who had been largely relegated to the AHL and like 8 minutes a night on the fourth line "suddenly" shows an ability to play with talent.

This is why I'm always so adamantly against and often gleefully make fun of this fanbase's absolute obsession over spending a shitpile on the 3rd line. Do your own homework... it's just the third line. I super promise it's not rocket surgery. Every organization should have a handful of guys that you can polish enough to make it happen.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I know these short tournaments are often indicative of nothing. But it always piques my interest when a young-ish player like DOC who had been largely relegated to the AHL and like 8 minutes a night on the fourth line "suddenly" shows an ability to play with talent.

This is why I'm always so adamantly against and often gleefully make fun of this fanbase's absolute obsession over spending a shitpile on the 3rd line. Do your own homework... it's just the third line. I super promise it's not rocket surgery. Every organization should have a handful of guys that you can polish enough to make it happen.
It's why I want Nylander and Doc to get significant looks this year. I get that it's riskier than signing ufas, but we need young talent to develop and become good. That saves cap dollars to upgrade where we really need to.

And if you never give the Docs and Nylanders a shot to lock down a spot, you never know what you have there.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's why I want Nylander and Doc to get significant looks this year. I get that it's riskier than signing ufas, but we need young talent to develop and become good. That saves cap dollars to upgrade where we really need to.

And if you never give the Docs and Nylanders a shot to lock down a spot, you never know what you have there.

100%

Besides... it's not like this team hasn't tried going the UFA route when it comes to depth players. Over and over again. Without fail. Year after year.

But you tell me how that's gone so far.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think his floor is solid third liner and his ceiling might be low end top six winger.

I dunno, we'll see how it goes. But I like him a lot.
His floor is borderline AHLer. :laugh: But I do think he'll probably end up a pretty decent bottom-6 guy once he's given leash. I don't know that he's the shutdown/PK guy Sully wants him to be, though. Gonna need to adjust his deployment and stuff, but y'know, Mike Sullivan and all that.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Another year doing some mental gymnastics to prove that DOC and Nylander don’t suck. We’re firmly in the X-Gen 2.0 just Crosby and Malkin are still hanging around.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Wow I see us having another year doing some mental gymnastics to prove that DOC and Nylander don’t suck. We’re firmly in the X-Gen 2.0 just Crosby and Malkin are still hanging around.

I mean paying millions for the likes of Brock McGinn and his like 30 games without a point isn't a terrific solution, either. You gotta fill out your depth lines. I'd prefer to do it with players that are at least near free if they suck rather than paying out the nose to find out if they suck while having the team overplay them for far too long in order to try to clamber out of their sunk cost hole.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
His floor is borderline AHLer. :laugh: But I do think he'll probably end up a pretty decent bottom-6 guy once he's given leash. I don't know that he's the shutdown/PK guy Sully wants him to be, though. Gonna need to adjust his deployment and stuff, but y'know, Mike Sullivan and all that.
I dunno, I think even in his current form that we saw last year he's a guy who could be a reliable 4th liner just about anywhere. Or at worst a 13th/14th forward who comes in when you need energy.

But yeah we'll see how it plays out. Hopefully he takes the opportunity he gets and runs with it.

Reactions: Freeptop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad