Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jake was miserable in 2019, 2020, and 2021 in the playoffs. Something like 6 points in 14 games. He was stellar with Sid against the Rangers, but let's not act like he's always phenomenal in the post season. His first two trips were legendary, his next three sucked absolute shit, and his latest was great. It's a coin flip, and if Sid's not going, Jake sure as shit isn't. That goes for RS and playoffs. /shrug

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Everyone wants a Pasta. They aren’t that common.
Well the only way we’re going to find one, if we don’t hit in the draft, is to trade players like Jake and take a chance on some up and comers with great offensive skill..

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
you‘ve stated repeatedly that the team won’t win a Cup…if they’re not true contenders we have to be more like the Caps…McClellan sold off pieces and then traded for Sandin..that’s the type of risks we should be trying to take to bring in younger players
Yeah, I was talking more from the fanbase's perspective of what they want. My view of wanting every year to show progress towards Cups is an outlier. Most people just want to honor the core and enjoy their last years here, and that means making the playoffs.
Better to trade Guentzel right now if we're looking at the cold, pragmatic approach though. Bigger yield, similar end season result. However, I don't think trading Guentzel to get youth that can play right now serves any purpose. That player or those players wouldn't save anybody. The ideal return would be like 2026 or 2027 picks, because their development would align with the team's rise from the ashes.

McClennan sold off pieces because their standing was worse than ours and they were being realistic about their chances to qualify. But hats off to him for doing that. At least they got something from last year.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's about hitting timings, imo. Jake's gonna decline sooner than later, and as soon as Sid starts to slow down, Jake's gonna drop off as well. If you spend the next six months seeing what you can get for Jake around the league, I have no doubt there's a few deals out there that make sense. Either from the standpoint of the here and now, or the standpoint of trying to kickstart the window. You cannot pay the guy $9 million AAV and give him a clause that's like 8 spots he'll accept a deal to. I think that'd be flat out dumb, and the team would end up regretting it in short order when it screws up their cap structure and costs them a shot at a legit gamebreaking talent in FA, or when they try to move Jake once Sid's career wraps up in a few years.

I'm not saying dump Jake for scraps. I'm saying make calls around the league to gauge interest and if there's a deal that lands you a young roster player with potential, a good/great prospect and a top-10 pick, you make that deal and don't even look back imo.

With big value players, you always gotta try and deal them a day too early as opposed to hanging onto them a day too long. With Jake being at a crossroads this season in terms of needing a colossal extension, now's the time to be aggressive and move him, because once he puts pen to paper, that's that.

-edit- What's the huge concern here? This team's gonna miss the playoffs? :laugh: This team's cooked, they haven't sniffed the 2nd round in half a decade, and the rest of Sid's career is just gonna be about keeping up appearances. At least if you deal Jake for a haul as part of a bigger picture, you have a shot at extending the window or expediting the process of building the team back up once the era officially ends.

They should've moved Rust at the deadline before the summer where he was up for a new deal, too. His value was at its highest and they probably could've pulled off a deal for a younger, up and coming prospect and a 1st (well, somebody, probably not Hexturke), which could've done wonders for extending the window, which seems to be the big thing surrounding this team anymore.

Last edited:

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I think I'd be willing to take a gamble on Monahan. Thoughts? Should be cheap.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think I'd be willing to take a gamble on Monahan. Thoughts? Should be cheap.
No thanks, Pens should not take a gamble on anyone anymore...let's get a nice top 6 player. I would sure hope whoever is the new GM wont go find a guy that's from the bin. Go big or go home.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
DOC has some promise, but let's not get carried away with his performance against subpar competition.

AHL lifers TJ Tynan and Rocco Grimaldi are among the leading scorers for the entire tournament.

Casey DeSmith, by the way, just soiled the bed in the semifinal game today and the top-seeded U.S. was upset by 8th seeded Germany. So it's not just for the Penguins where he fails to make a save that he should in a key moment.

Just great! Not only the 8th seed but a failed Pens' 6th rounder from 8 years ago ffs.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I think if he was healthy he actually would be a decent piece here. But he will never be healthy again and probably retire after this year with the back issue.
Back issue? When that happen? I've read his hips were corrected for now. And his season was cut short by a groin injury.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Jake at 6 million, even just for one more year, has insane cap value for his production.

You 100% need to hold onto him for now and build a competent team around him and the core with the cap space you for once have. If we're out of the playoff picture by the TDL, sure, get a 1st out of him then.

Pens are in no rush to trade him now.

Reactions: BlankFrank416

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Jake at 6 million, even just for one more year, has insane cap value for his production.

You 100% need to hold onto him for now and build a competent team around him and the core with the cap space you for once have. If we're out of the playoff picture by the TDL, sure, get a 1st out of him then.

Pens are in no rush to trade him now.
I agree. The one exception I could see is if a contender was cap strapped and has an RFA they can't afford to pay. Not saying Jersey or Ottawa are in cap trouble, but if you got offered something around Meier or Debrincat for Jake that's not a call I immediately flush.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I agree. The one exception I could see is if a contender was cap strapped and has an RFA they can't afford to pay. Not saying Jersey or Ottawa are in cap trouble, but if you got offered something around Meier or Debrincat for Jake that's not a call I immediately flush.
To me the only untouchables on this roster should be Sid and Malkin.

The rest, if there's a deal to be made, make it. But first Fire Sullivan.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Geno still getting shafted by the NHL lol…should have been placed higher on this list….at least they didn’t forget about him this time

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The problem with trading Jake is you're really not going to get an impactful return for a player who is an impending UFA.

Alex Debrincat brought back a 7th overall pick as the main piece and he was an RFA and younger than Jake. So Jake's value might be even less than that in a prospective trade. Jake's a better player but also older and no RFA status.

Is it really even worth it to move a player like that for such a middling return, especially given that Jake is likely to want to sign long term here?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Jake re-signing is a positive for this team. As soon as Sid slows down and/or retires, you're gonna have a $9 million AAV paperweight with a super restrictive NTC in Jake.

For clarification; I fully expect him to be kept, re-signed, and be around until he's like 36. I just think that's the wrong avenue to take and will end up biting this team in the ass. /shrug

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The problem with trading Jake is you're really not going to get an impactful return for a player who is an impending UFA.

Alex Debrincat brought back a 7th overall pick as the main piece and he was an RFA and younger than Jake. So Jake's value might be even less than that in a prospective trade. Jake's a better player but also older and no RFA status.

Is it really even worth it to move a player like that for such a middling return, especially given that Jake is likely to want to sign long term here?
Depends what the return is…let’s say NJD decides it can’t sign Bratt or Sharangovich, obviously two different quality of player, and think they can get a better deal on Jake long term …they’re in their prime now…what if the Pens traded Jake and second round pick next year for Bratt’s rights, or NJD traded Sharangovich + 1st for Jake…that might improve the Pens…I like Jake but he’s on the downside

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Depends what the return is…let’s say NJD decides it can’t sign Bratt or Sharangovich, obviously two different quality of player, and think they can get a better deal on Jake long term …they’re in their prime now…what if the Pens traded Jake and second round pick next year for Bratt’s rights, or NJD traded Sharangovich + 1st for Jake…that might improve the Pens…I like Jake but he’s on the downside

How do either of those deals improve the Penguins?

Do you think Bratt is better than Jake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad