Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I’m pretty sure they haven't traded a coach since the 80s, and teams no longer have to give up compensation for hiring a coach under contract.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I don't think Jake re-signing is a positive for this team. As soon as Sid slows down and/or retires, you're gonna have a $9 million AAV paperweight with a super restrictive NTC in Jake.

For clarification; I fully expect him to be kept, re-signed, and be around until he's like 36. I just think that's the wrong avenue to take and will end up biting this team in the ass. /shrug
I doubt he's able to get 9 mil.

Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm a fan of Ullmark, but I think playing on that team did a whole lot of elevating of Ullmark the player. I don't really think Ullmark would come here and be anything close to the guy he was in Boston during the RS.

I don't think there's a goalie option out there short of Saros or Hellebuyck (and they're extremely unrealistic for this team) who comes in and just plays at an elite level with the skaters they'll have in front of them.

If I had to single out a goalie target, I'd try to snag Vejmelka from the Coyotes. Maybe as part of a blockbuster package with Crouse or Schmaltz--ideally with some salary retain on the forwards. You're looking at a pretty big price in that case, but it may be worth it. /shrug
Ullmark had .917 and .915 seasons in Buffalo. This isn't new. He could succeed anywhere.
He shouldn't have been in net this playoffs. He was playing hurt, clearly laboring. That's on Montgomery. They had the best backup in the league and only used him once.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
NHL coaches are fundamentally unable to manage their goalkeeper situations. :laugh:
Totally. That's often because they get emotionally attached to their starters, and start thinking in terms of "what he deserves/has earned" over "who gives us the best chance."

Getting too close with players is like the #1 coaching hazard. We saw an extreme case of it this season right here. It does so much damage.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Ullmark had .917 and .915 seasons in Buffalo. This isn't new. He could succeed anywhere.
He shouldn't have been in net this playoffs. He was playing hurt, clearly laboring. That's on Montgomery. They had the best backup in the league and only used him once.
You don't have to tell me about Ullmark in Buffalo, I wanted him when he was with the Sabres. This team's defense is still a shitshow, from forwards as well as blueliners. To expect Ullmark or anyone else to come in and have a stellar showing is a bit unrealistic.

-edit- I'd still try to see if a deal could be made with the Coyotes for Vejmelka and either Schmaltz or Crouse with some retention. I'm bracing for impact for the Jarry re-signing though. :laugh:
I doubt he's able to get 9 mil.
Yeah, we'll see. In a year with the cap likely going up a bit more than it has been in recent years, it's pretty easy to see the guy getting somewhere in the ballpark of $9 million AAV, whether it's here or somewhere else.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
You don't have to tell me about Ullmark in Buffalo, I wanted him when he was with the Sabres. This team's defense is still a shitshow, from forwards as well as blueliners.
Hopefully the team defense improves under Dubas, if he's our guy. He certainly made huge strides in Toronto that way.

With Ullmark I'm pretty concerned about his injury history, but then I look around the league and see goalies going down left and right, and question if anyone else would be very durable here.
It's just the nature of the position now. Goalies shouldn't be playing 50+ games anymore imo.

If we got Schmaltz I would become a true Dubas fanboy.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
If we don't get a big fish

Bunting at 4.5 and Barbashev at 5.25 for let's say 4 to 6 years would fix a lot of this forward group.

Trade or buy out Granlund

Trade POJ or Ty Smith for worth.
Also secure a top 4 LD.

Target a goalie.

We have the cap space we can make moves.
I could see POJ giving us a 3M AAV value performance next year, while he's making close to league minimum. Contracts like that are how you win anything. Could certainly see him becoming a middle pair level guy in time.
Very much against trading him until we see more evidence that he should be dealt. We finally have a solid 3rd pairing in POJ-Rutta. Don't wanna mess with what's working just to create unknowns.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I could see POJ giving us a 3M AAV value performance next year, while he's making close to league minimum. Contracts like that are how you win anything. Could certainly see him becoming a middle pair level guy in time.
Very much against trading him until we see more evidence that he should be dealt. We finally have a solid 3rd pairing in POJ-Rutta. Don't wanna mess with what's working just to create unknowns.
Yep. Very against moving POJ now. I’m not wholly against moving Smith but I just don’t see the need or value at this point. I’d run the following to start the year - please God do not resign Dumo - and if Smith flames out in his spot, I’d simply trade him and a pick for a solid veteran.

Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Letang
POJ-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Not adding any $ to the blueline also gives us the room to add, say, Bunting and Barbashev while retaining Zucker for $15-16M collectively.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Barbashev
Zucker-Granlund-Rust
DOC-Poehling-Carter?
Nylander

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Yep. Very against moving POJ now. I’m not wholly against moving Smith but I just don’t see the need or value at this point. I’d run the following to start the year - please God do not resign Dumo - and if Smith flames out in his spot, I’d simply trade him and a pick for a solid veteran.

Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Letang
POJ-Rutta
Ruhwedel
I'd do this:
Petts - Letang
UFA / Petry
POJ - Rutta
Smith/Friedman

I don't wanna see Chad or Dumo play here again. If Smith needs to get dealt, then you do it. Not sure that's necessary though.
We need to trade assets for a goalie and the Granlund off-loading, nothing more. Everything else can be handled in free agency probably.

Reactions: Dominance

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I definitely do not want to trade him or Ty Smith. I just think we need to add a top 4 LD with vet presence.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If we don't get a big fish

Bunting at 4.5 and Barbashev at 5.25 for let's say 4 to 6 years would fix a lot of this forward group.

Trade or buy out Granlund

Trade POJ or Ty Smith for worth.
Also secure a top 4 LD.

Target a goalie.

We have the cap space we can make moves.
If we did add a couple of guys like that, I also hope Sullivan actually uses them in the top six and spreads the talent around instead of just keeping our top six status quo and fitting all the new guys into the bottom six.

Reactions: Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Are we all in agreement that Janmark at $1.5 is reasonable, fits our cap, and is the kinda guy our bottom 6 needs? Maybe we can get some smaller deals done ourselves before Dubas decides. Someone write it up.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Are we all in agreement that Janmark at $1.5 is reasonable, fits our cap, and is the kinda guy our bottom 6 needs? Maybe we can get some smaller deals done ourselves before Dubas decides. Someone write it up.
Janmark, Brown. Kampf all seem like guys who will be cheap but very effective. Dubas has been very good with these kinds of signings because of the big 4 in Toronto hogging all the cap space.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Janmark, Brown. Kampf all seem like guys who will be cheap but very effective. Dubas has been very good with these kinds of signings because of the big 4 in Toronto hogging all the cap space.
I like Brown too on a 1 year deal. If healthy he’s a solid middle-6 utility winger. Him and Janmark are 2 guys that are consistently pretty dangerous short-handed too, something we’ve kind of gotten away from.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Don't we have to trade one of Smith or POJ if you want to bring in another top 4 dman? Assuming you're not trading Petry, Pettersson or Rutta?
No. The top 4 D-man can be acquired in free agency. There's many available. Might need to overpay a little, but it's doable.
POJ would be making 825K as a regular on the 3rd pair. Smith will make maybe a little more, as he's RFA right now. They are not contracts that need to be off-loaded.
Smith can be your #7. Get rid of Ruhwedel and Friedman. Smith fills in during injuries or poor play from someone else. It's time to get something out of that trade.
Chad ended up playing 47 games due to injuries, and he wasn't always the #7 throughout the year either.
I'd expect a lot of missed games from Petry and Rutta again, and that's just for starters. Smith could very much be important here next year, as long as he's not blocked in the line.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Do POJ and a 2nd for Swayman's RFA rights and then sign Graves to play with Letang on the top pair.
Maybe he just had a bad playoffs but I did not like what I saw of Graves. I didn't think he was terrible but there were a lot of plays that he didn't look great on.

I don't think he's top pair material from what I saw. Maybe would be fine on the 2nd pair.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe he just had a bad playoffs but I did not like what I saw of Graves. I didn't think he was terrible but there were a lot of plays that he didn't look great on.

I don't think he's top pair material from what I saw. Maybe would be fine on the 2nd pair.

Graves is definitely not top pair quality, he just complements Letang's game pretty well. It would be the same way that Pettersson and Petry are together, it's much more about getting a good complement between partners.

My ideal defense is something like:

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta

Get a physical DFD to play with Letang and put Smith with Rutta on the bottom pair. I'm good with POJ in Smith's spot but I think they need to trade either Smith or POJ to address the goaltending or depth forward situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad