Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I feel like Barbashev will be viewed as the Hyman/Coleman of this Fa crop and those guys got 5.5 and 4.9 respectively. Barbashev is only 27 and the Fa market is pretty shit so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get between 5.5 or a bit more
Yeah, he's going to be viewed as a "every team needs a guy like him" dude and he'll get interest as a center and wing. I see him getting a disgusting contract. But it may have to be us who ponies it up haha.

Zucker could get a high AAV on a short deal but the injury history and age will give some teams pause. I give us a 50% shot to bring him back at 4/$18M or thereabouts

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Dubas becomes the Penguins GM, I wonder how many players he'll try to poach from Toronto. I think replacing Zucker with Bunting is a very predictable move, since Bunting is a UFA this year. Toronto also has Kampf and Kerfoot as guys Dubas may want to bring in.

Kerfoot is actually an interesting name to think about, because I always thought of him more as an offensive center but he actually did pretty well in a defensive role last year. He had a 41% offensive zone start% last year but still finished with basically a 53% xGF%, which is pretty good. He seems like a pretty similar guy to 2015 Bonino: a late 20s playmaking lefty center who has shown he can play both the PP and PK and both in offensive and defensive roles.

The catch with Kerfoot is that he might actually be more of a winger than a center at this point. But even then, Kerfoot as a 3rd line LWer seems like a good fit for what Sullivan wants out of his 3rd line.
My issue with Kerfoot is we're already a tiny team up front. I don't think adding yet another guy who is undersized and can't play a heavy playoff-style game isn't the best choice.

Semi-related topic, but Kerfoot is basically what I think Hextall thought Granlund was. A speedy, skilled guy who could be used in the bottom six and on the PK.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1684796638777.png

What do you guys think about this?

1st and Ruh for Markstrom and Hanifin
NJD 3rd and 2024 4th for Arvy
3rd for Geekie
DOC, Poehling, Smith 1 mil x2
Geekie 2 x 2.8
Acciari at 3 x 2.75
Nyquist 1 x 1.2 prove it deal
Buy out granlund.

Hate the goaltending and not really sure I like the D.

Reactions: eXile3

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Barbashev is useless defensively. They never taught him how to backcheck on the motherland. He can't PK either, and we're short on good ones there.
Something to consider for a 3C position that Sullivan likes giving extreme defensive usage to.
Fp56zvUXsAM4GIR.jpg:large

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Barbashev is useless defensively. They never taught him how to backcheck on the motherland. He can't PK either, and we're short on good ones there.
Something to consider for a 3C position that Sullivan likes giving extreme defensive usage to.
Fp56zvUXsAM4GIR.jpg:large
If he’s coming here, it won’t be to play in the bottom six…he’ll play LW on Geno’a line

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hopefully we get rid of Granlund and sign Compher….we’re definitely going to need to sign two players for around $5m each to replace Zucker and Granlund

I dunno. I think you can sign one guy for like 6-7M to replace Zucker and then a half-flattened roadcone to replace Granlund. Bam... I just saved you 3-4M.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I dunno. I think you can sign one guy for like 6-7M to replace Zucker and then a half-flattened roadcone to replace Granlund. Bam... I just saved you 3-4M.
We’re not finding anyone at that price for Geno…it’s either go big, like $8M, or more a middle six tweeter at $5-6

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The more I look at Seattle, the more I think there is a realy logical trade here that involves POJ for a forward. Seattle has absolutely absurd forward depth, their forward depth chart going into next year looks something like:

McCann-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-Gourde-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-Geekie-Sprong
Kartye-Wright

It's crazy how deep they are at forward. However, their defense is just awful beyond their top pair:

Dunn-Larsson (love this pair)
Oleksiak-Borgen
XXXXX-Schultz

It's just horrible. I think moving one of their spare depth forwards for someone like POJ would interest Seattle greatly, just because they have so much forward depth to begin with. Geekie and Kartye are really the guys who catch my eye.

I doubt they'd move Kartye but I'm also not sure I see a spot for him in this lineup. They may just end up moving on from Sprong (who had 21 goals and 46 points in 66 games last year) and just give Sprong's spot to Kartye.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The more I look at Seattle, the more I think there is a realy logical trade here that involves POJ for a forward. Seattle has absolutely absurd forward depth, their forward depth chart going into next year looks something like:

McCann-Beniers-Eberle
Schwartz-Gourde-Burakovsky
Tolvanen-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Tanev-Geekie-Sprong
Kartye-Wright

It's crazy how deep they are at forward. However, their defense is just awful beyond their top pair:

Dunn-Larsson (love this pair)
Oleksiak-Borgen
XXXXX-Schultz

It's just horrible. I think moving one of their spare depth forwards for someone like POJ would interest Seattle greatly, just because they have so much forward depth to begin with. Geekie and Kartye are really the guys who catch my eye.

I doubt they'd move Kartye but I'm also not sure I see a spot for him in this lineup. They may just end up moving on from Sprong (who had 21 goals and 46 points in 66 games last year) and just give Sprong's spot to Kartye.
i'm sure sully would love having sprong back.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Can’t be hard to find a little dickweed like Lomberg for cheap. AHL’s gotta be filled with guys like that that’ll chew through a 2x4 to stay up in the NHL.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Trade POJ to Seattle for Geekie, re-sign Geekie for 3 years at $2.5 million
Trade Granlund to whoever for whatever it costs to get rid of him
Offersheet Swayman at 1 year and $4.2 million (2nd rounder compensation), with saying that they'll give him a long-term starter's deal in January
Sign Bunting (5 years at $4.5 million), Kerfoot (3 years at $3 million) and Graves (5 years at $4.5 million) in free agency

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Kerfoot-Geekie-XXXXXX
O'Connor-Poehling-Carter
Nylander-XXXXXXX

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Swayman-DeSmith

You'll have about $4.5 million in cap space to get a 3rd line RWer and an extra forward if you can get out of Granlund's contract. Ideally your 3rd line RWer is a physical RWer with size, maybe Sundqvist could fit that?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Offersheet Swayman at 1 year and $4.2 million (2nd rounder compensation), with saying that they'll give him a long-term starter's deal in January
Sign Bunting (5 years at $4.5 million), Kerfoot (3 years at $3 million) and Graves (5 years at $4.5 million) in free agency

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Kerfoot-Geekie-XXXXXX
O'Connor-Poehling-Carter
Nylander-XXXXXXX

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Swayman-DeSmith

You'll have about $4.5 million in cap space to get a 3rd line RWer and an extra forward if you can get out of Granlund's contract. Ideally your 3rd line RWer is a physical RWer with size, maybe Sundqvist could fit that?

So we will be the Leafs but older up front?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
View attachment 711595

What do you guys think about this?

1st and Ruh for Markstrom and Hanifin
NJD 3rd and 2024 4th for Arvy
3rd for Geekie
DOC, Poehling, Smith 1 mil x2
Geekie 2 x 2.8
Acciari at 3 x 2.75
Nyquist 1 x 1.2 prove it deal
Buy out granlund.

Hate the goaltending and not really sure I like the D.
I'd probably pass on Acciari and just play Nylander, and I would play POJ over Ty Smith as I think POJ is the better player.

Pretty solid lineup otherwise though. Don't mind it.

Not sure those teams would do the deals you proposed though. Calgary probably still fancies themselves a contender so I don't think they'd move guys for futures, and those prices seem light for Arvidsson and Geekie.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Bunting-Malkin-Rust
Kerfoot-Geekie-XXXXXX
O'Connor-Poehling-Carter
Nylander-XXXXXXX

Graves-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Ruhwedel

Swayman-DeSmith

After watching a lot of Graves in the playoffs, I'm not sold on him as an answer. He was handling the puck like a grenade at times and had some real bad pivots.

He gave me severe Brian Dumoulin vibes to be honest.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I wouldn't mind, honestly. If we got a stud LD and goalie I'm willing to make that tradeoff.
Yeah, that might be worth it. I'm just not sure we have to sacrifice at a key position at all. If the next GM is willing to dish out futures then they have what they need to address all of the glaring holes, provided they unload Granlund. You just can't go overkill with the AAVs.
25 mil at that point after trading MG...

Goalie 5 mil, Defenseman 4-5 mil, Winger 4-5 mil, 3rd line Center 3-4 mil.
~ 7 mil left for 4 more Forwards. Or you can funnel even more to what's above and sign league minimum filler Forwards, like Puustinen and Archibald.

There's enough. We don't need to use Poehling at 3C.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah, that might be worth it. I'm just not sure we have to sacrifice at a key position at all. If the next GM is willing to dish out futures then they have what they need to address all of the glaring holes, provided they unload Granlund. You just can't go overkill with the AAVs.
25 mil at that point after trading MG...

Goalie 5 mil, Defenseman 4-5 mil, Winger 4-5 mil, 3rd line Center 3-4 mil.
~ 7 mil left for 4 more Forwards. Or you can funnel even more to what's above and sign league minimum filler Forwards, like Puustinen and Archibald.

There's enough. We don't need to use Poehling at 3C.

I just think you could situationally go higher on any of those numbers for
A) A great player
B) To get rid of Granlund in the process

What I continue to have in mind is a terrible goalie contract for a decent goalie in exchange for Granlund. I wonder if Markstrom is that guy.

Or hell, go get Darnell Nurse for Granlund. (ducks)

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I would love Bunting. He could be a Kunitz-like player, but he just needs to grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad