Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ya'll will get some massively overpriced third liner center, Tristan Jarry on a 5M per year "bargain," Granlund grafted to the second line all year to "rehabilitate his game" and other extremely mediocre ways to suck up boatloads of cap for no real impact players gained and like it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hey this group was only one point from making the playoffs after all!

Jason Zucker is the heartbeat of this team. I nearly forgot about him. You GOTTA pay that guy at least 5M per to stay for five or six years, right? That seems to be the standard contract to give to any middle six third wheel type that blows through town, right?

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Hey this group was only one point from making the playoffs after all!

Jason Zucker is the heartbeat of this team. I nearly forgot about him. You GOTTA pay that guy at least 5M per to stay for five or six years, right? That seems to be the standard contract to give to any middle six third wheel type that blows through town, right?
lol…exactly on schedule…just no on Zucker and Jarry regardless of cost

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
lol…exactly on schedule…just no on Zucker and Jarry regardless of cost

Hey hey hey now, Andy.

Ya gotta be realistic. There is only so much cap room and this team has it's third line center addiction to manage. When you take that cut out of the pie there just isn't anything left for an impact player like a top LD or some real help in the top six. What an unsolvable conundrum. Oh well too bad!

Also lol to the idea of seriously signing Jarry at this point. I was very kidding. Geez pensburgh.

Reactions: Andy99

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hey hey hey now, Andy.

Ya gotta be realistic. There is only so much cap room and this team has it's third line center addiction to manage. When you take that cut out of the pie there just isn't anything left for an impact player like a top LD or some real help in the top six. What an unsolvable conundrum. Oh well too bad!

Also lol to the idea of seriously signing Jarry at this point. I was very kidding. Geez pensburgh.

You've triggered me clearly.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If we got Karlsson and got rid of Petry I’m gonna have a hard on all season.

Instead they’re probably just gonna give Zucker like 5 more years lol.
Karlsson plays precious little defense these days but maybe he could fix our horrific powerplay.

Reactions: molon labe

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they trade a 35 year old Petry because he's "too old and has a bad contract" only to trade for a 33 year old Karlsson with a $11.5 million cap hit., I might just go fully on the Kraken bandwagon at that point :laugh:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
If they trade a 35 year old Petry because he's "too old and has a bad contract" only to trade for a 33 year old Karlsson with a $11.5 million cap hit., I might just go fully on the Kraken bandwagon at that point :laugh:

If / when they trade Petry it's not because he's too old and/or has a bad contract - it's because he's absolute mid and does almost nothing for this team.

Karlsson makes a ton of sense because he can actually produce offense from the blueline AND could help fix our stale dumpster water of a powerplay. Two birds situation. Bottom 6 is a massive uphill battle but that's an area that also needs improvement - some points from up top. Plus, again, the potential for Sid/Geno to play an entire game with either EK or Letang behind them is a nice thought.

Reactions: Pens x

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If / when they trade Petry it's not because he's too old and/or has a bad contract - it's because he's absolute mid and does almost nothing for this team.

Karlsson makes a ton of sense because he can actually produce offense from the blueline AND could help fix our stale dumpster water of a powerplay. Two birds situation. Bottom 6 is a massive uphill battle but that's an area that also needs improvement - some points from up top. Plus, again, the potential for Sid/Geno to play an entire game with either EK or Letang behind them is a nice thought.

Okay, so it's for a reason that makes literally no sense.

This place's crusade against Petry makes literally no sense.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
To maximize Granlund he needs the PP, but we made him into a PK'er. He had 28 PPP's last year. That's more than Sid this year.
At the very least PP2. Put him in a position to use his hands.

X-Gen Pens aren't an indication of anything. When you have a horrific team like that, a player like Kraft gets used in positions to produce more than he normally would. That's how he put up the points. You can see it with how his shot total skyrocketed.
Prior to that season he had 42 points in 141 games as a Penguin, in more reduced roles. Granlund on the other hand has been a 40+ point guy 7 times in this league.

Sure, his lack of scoring is a small part of the reason we struggled after the deadline. But what kinda production were we really expecting from a 3C/wing getting 67.7% D-zone starts, playing with our bottom 6'ers? 9 points instead of 5 maybe? 10? Anything more than that is asking too much in this capacity.
Poehling's offense was horrific this year, and that was his most common linemate. The other was Heinen. He got next to no time with Malkin or Rakell.

At least he ended up a +1 and improved the PK. His lines held the fort.
If we wanna look at reasons we struggled after the deadline, how about Rakell (-8), Malkin (-7), Zucker (-6) over those 21 games, when getting privileged usage?
Carter was also a -7 over that period. Not buried enough apparently. Poehling -8.
What about Jarry's .891 over his 15 games? Joseph? Petry (defensively)? There's many guys you can point fingers at.

The Predators were a bad team and Granlund was one of the culprits. When you have a guy who gets incredible offensive usage and puts up such mediocre production, he is hurting you.

You can't "maximize" every player. You can just do the best with what you've got. What Granlund has is like, some vision and decent hands aside from when he's shooting the puck (the time when having good hands is most useful). That is an incredibly limited skill set especially when you consider being unable to shoot makes it harder to pass.

I respect that you like goal diff and +/- but like all stats SSS can skew results. I can't point to anything Granlund did to improve his lines defensively. At best he's ZAR with more passing ability but less size? The stats you like to quote had Granlund as miserable, miserable defensive player. Which jived with the eye test. Guess who finished last in Nashville this year in +/-?

Maybe there's a version of the team next year in which he's the 3C and our 3rd line is just uneventful nothingness but we upgrade LD/Goalie/LW and are successful. I'd rather get rid of bad players making big money if the team is actually serious about improving though.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Okay, so it's for a reason that makes literally no sense.

This place's crusade against Petry makes literally no sense.

He makes money that difference makers make. Simple view here.

He doesn't produce, he doesn't keep dangerous plays alive, he doesn't feed anyone down low with sweet passes, he doesn't shut down dangerous plays here and there - he literally 'exists' on the ice for a lot of minutes and lays the occasional open ice check. He doesn't do enough to keep on a roster desperate for extra [offense/grit/toughness/shotblocking, etc.]....while making 6.2M. I'm not saying he's Nurse but I'm not saying he's anything special either. If he went down for the season I don't think it changes a single game in the win/loss column. That's unacceptable for 6.2M.

Does anyone feel at-all safe about Letang going down with Petry here? He does not play like a 1 D and doesn't produce near the offensive skill Letang can show. I don't ever even see the takeaways that Letang has in Petry. Why exactly is he here other than we wanted someone who played less risky than Matheson? We can look at moving into a safe defenseman as a good move and ALSO look at this team going forward and see that Petry has no place on it.

Reactions: Andy99 and wheelz87

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

He doesn't produce, he doesn't keep dangerous plays alive, he doesn't feed anyone down low with sweet passes, he doesn't shut down dangerous plays here and there - he literally 'exists' on the ice for a lot of minutes and lays the occasional open ice check. He doesn't do enough to keep on a roster desperate for extra [offense/grit/toughness/shotblocking, etc.]....while making 6.2M. I'm not saying he's Nurse but I'm not saying he's anything special either. If he went down for the season I don't think it changes a single game in the win/loss column. That's unacceptable for 6.2M.

Does anyone feel at-all safe about Letang going down with Petry here? He does not play like a 1 D and doesn't produce near the offensive skill Letang can show. I don't ever even see the takeaways that Letang has in Petry. Why exactly is he here other than we wanted someone who played less risky than Matheson? We can look at moving into a safe defenseman as a good move and ALSO look at this team going forward and see that Petry has no place on it.
I thought Pens struggled while Petry was injured?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I thought Pens struggled while Petry was injured?

Fixed.

Lack of getting to our game - system.

Lack of production outside of Sid/Geno.

Lack of production on the blueline.

Team needs different players just as bad as it needs a different coach(s). Roster full of vanilla wafers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

No he doesn't? He's the 36th highest paid defenseman in hockey. He's a #2 defenseman paid like a #2 defenseman that is bringing #2 defensemen results. He's paid the same as guys like Weegar, Ekholm, Parayko and Fowler while providing basically the same value as those guys provide.

I've beaten this horse to death, but I'll say it again anyway. The hate that Petry gets from the Penguins is completely asinine and I believe is 99% due to Hextall being the one making that trade. He's providing basically the exact value he should be providing based on how he's paid.

He's effectively a rightly Mattias Ekholm that makes the same exact money as Ekholm.

Yeah nevermind on Karlsson. I don’t want a 33 year old dynamic 100 point scoring defenseman.

I’d rather have 36 year old Jeff Petry

I'd rather not spend $11.5 million on a defenseman who was dogshit the last time he was in a similar situation to being on the same team as a guy like Letang.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Fixed.

Lack of getting to our game - system.

Lack of production outside of Sid/Geno.

Lack of production on the blueline.

Team needs different players just as bad as it needs a different coach(s). Roster full of vanilla wafers.
Well we aint fixing everything before the core retires. I feel bad for whoever we get but they are up for the challenge.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I didn't feel at all safe with Letang in the lineup, either. Letang was pretty bad last year. No coincidence we missed the playoffs.

Petry is one of our better players but he isn't an impact guy. And the reality of our defense "upgrades" this last year is they only served to make us older. The only good parts were Poehling, Smith and the pick. Ruutta isn't inspiring either.

But it's whatever. I'm down to bring in Karlsson cause YOLO.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I miss this guy…we should be targeting similar players…at least the 2009-2015 version of this guy lol

Reactions: Rakell67
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad