Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I could see DOC having a similar progression to Rust in his first few years. DOC has been much better in the AHL and has had similar point totals in the NHL.

DOC: 46 games 11 points

Rust: 41 games 11 points

The next season Rust had 28 points in 57 games.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
If DOC hits 20 that’d be insane.

Meh give him something besides Carters corpse to play with and more than 9mins a game and I could see it in his career.

He has been looking good at the worlds.

Rust made the jump at 25 from 4 goals to 15 (Paced for 20)

Doc will start the next season at 25.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
If DOC hits 20 that’d be insane.
He had everything but the finishing this year. I imagine he will be working hard on that in the off season. He could pull a Rust and become more of a scorer as his career progresses. 20 may be a stretch, but 15 should be on the table.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Meh give him something besides Carters corpse to play with and more than 9mins a game and I could see it in his career.

He has been looking good at the worlds.

Rust made the jump at 25 from 4 goals to 15 (Paced for 20)

Doc will start the next season at 25.

Rust was largely given all situational usage and averaged a ton more time than DOC should or will.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Rust also has always had a shot that can beat NHL goalies.

DOC doesn’t.

I'd characterize that assertion as a "maybe".

From his raw stats he's essentially played equivalent to 1 NHL season and he has 8 goals.
I didn't bother to look at his usage, but my guess is that he was buried in Dzone starts like Sully likes to do.
I think 15 Even strength goals is attainable for him. Getting Bryan Rust lite isn't bad.

chrisp200

Aug 15, 2011
Center Options: The Penguins need speed on the 3rd line. The one guy who has speed, a scoring touch, and plays off the rush is Andreas Athanasiou. He's the guy if the Pens can get him for the right price. I think signing a slow veteran like Ryan O'Reilly would be a big mistake.

Other Center Options that make sense: J.T Compher Ivan Barbashev and I know this would be a risk. but maybe you could do a short deal with Sean Monahan at a low price and hope that he fixes whatever has been going wrong the past couple seasons.

Wing: There's not really much that excites me at wing in FA. Tyler Bertuzzi and Timo Meier are the two main targets and I expect them to get paid too much. Max Domi would be my main target but theres going to be a lot of demand for him.

Goalie Options:
Joonas Korpisalo
Antti Raanta
Frederik Andersen
Adin Hill
Martin Jones
Cameron Talbot

FA looks rough

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Center Options: The Penguins need speed on the 3rd line. The one guy who has speed, a scoring touch, and plays off the rush is Andreas Athanasiou. He's the guy if the Pens can get him for the right price. I think signing a slow veteran like Ryan O'Reilly would be a big mistake.

Other Center Options that make sense: J.T Compher Ivan Barbashev and I know this would be a risk. but maybe you could do a short deal with Sean Monahan at a low price and hope that he fixes whatever has been going wrong the past couple seasons.

Wing: There's not really much that excites me at wing in FA. Tyler Bertuzzi and Timo Meier are the two main targets and I expect them to get paid too much. Max Domi would be my main target but theres going to be a lot of demand for him.

If we're signing AA he should either be moved to wing or as an overpaid 4C. No way in hell I'd trust him defensively (he's terribly in this regard) and the way Sully likes to deploy the 3rd line.

Barbashev and Bertuzzi are my 2 main prizes in FA. I'd be down with Compher, but think he'll be super expensive

The goalie situation? Ugh...it's a mess at the moment and hard to decipher what's the right move

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Goalie Options:
Joonas Korpisalo
Antti Raanta
Frederik Andersen
Adin Hill
Martin Jones
Cameron Talbot

FA looks rough
All of those goalies can and have been better than Jarry…look at Jones this season and Hill playing in the WCF, Andersen…I ain’t paying Jarry…get a 2-3 year contract with any of those guys (sans Talbot)…

also, we need to be thinking big for wing and I hope we overpay someone like Meier or try to trade for a RFA from another team rather than get a better deal on a lesser player, particularly an older one (like Zucker lol)

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think once the new GM comes in we’ll see some decent shuffling everywhere. Hex tried it last year on D and it wasn’t enough.

Everyone at forward outside of Sid, Geno and Raks, I’m ok with moving on from. Jake to a lesser extent than those 3.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Because he hasn’t done anything to earn the top six usage Rust got in that year.

We should have a top six unit that is proven. If one of them is injured I’m perfectly fine with giving DOC a chance.
I'm not saying DOC deserves that kind of look as it stands.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if he develops into that kind of player. He's been good at other levels, he's young, and he's got all the tools.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Because he hasn’t done anything to earn the top six usage Rust got in that year.

We should have a top six unit that is proven. If one of them is injured I’m perfectly fine with giving DOC a chance.

I’m just asking for him to get consistent 3rd line ice time. I’m not saying he will hit 20 this season but he could at some point in his career if given the chance that’s all.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If Dubas becomes the Penguins GM, I wonder how many players he'll try to poach from Toronto. I think replacing Zucker with Bunting is a very predictable move, since Bunting is a UFA this year. Toronto also has Kampf and Kerfoot as guys Dubas may want to bring in.

Kerfoot is actually an interesting name to think about, because I always thought of him more as an offensive center but he actually did pretty well in a defensive role last year. He had a 41% offensive zone start% last year but still finished with basically a 53% xGF%, which is pretty good. He seems like a pretty similar guy to 2015 Bonino: a late 20s playmaking lefty center who has shown he can play both the PP and PK and both in offensive and defensive roles.

The catch with Kerfoot is that he might actually be more of a winger than a center at this point. But even then, Kerfoot as a 3rd line LWer seems like a good fit for what Sullivan wants out of his 3rd line.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Rust also has always had a shot that can beat NHL goalies.

DOC doesn’t.
Fair but DOC isn't going to be scoring the same "style" of goals as Rust does (especially in his earlier years where beating goalies with his shot was common). DOC needs to be that hard-nosed around net, bang-in-the-junk guy.

Goalie Options:
Joonas Korpisalo
Antti Raanta
Frederik Andersen
Adin Hill
Martin Jones
Cameron Talbot

FA looks rough
I suggested AA last week and this board through quite the tantrum over it.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Why not get Sundqvist and Barbashev for $9.5M AAV combined?

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Barbashev-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Sundqvist-Puustinen
XXX-Poehling-Carter
Nylander

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
That’s an absurd number for both of them.

I see Barbashev’s ceiling being 5 mil and Sundqvist 3 mil.
I don't know a lot, but Barba seems like a big fish in this pool compared to previous pools. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get $6M AAV.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I feel like Barbashev will be viewed as the Hyman/Coleman of this Fa crop and those guys got 5.5 and 4.9 respectively. Barbashev is only 27 and the Fa market is pretty shit so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get between 5.5 or a bit more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad