Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
With a Granlund buyout it looks like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
XXX-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Poehling-Puustinen
XXX-Carter-Nylander
Total: $40.5M

POJ-Letang
Petts-Petry
Smith-Ruutta
Ruh
Total: $21.5M

XXX
DeSmith
Total: $1.8M
Buyouts: $1.8M

Total: $65M

So $18M of space to find a goalie, an impact LD, two good forwards and 2 depth forwards. Of course this space expands as players are moved out. The only guys making real money I could see moved are Petts and Guentzel. Though the team should talk to Rust about his availability.

In terms of tradeable assets, we have:
Pickering
Our 1st
Our 2024 1st
All 3 LD are tradeable in one form or another depending on which way we want to go
Guentzel if we want to try to do something interesting

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
XXX-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Poehling-Puustinen
XXX-Carter-Nylander

POJ-Letang
Petts-Petry
Smith-Ruutta
Ruh

XXX
DeSmith

So $18M of space to find a goalie, an impact LD, two good forwards and 2 depth forwards. Of course this space expands as players are moved out. The only guys making real money I could see moved are Petts and Guentzel. Though the team should talk to Rust about his availability.

Pickering
Our 1st
Our 2024 1st
All 3 LD are tradeable in one form or another depending on which way we want to go
5.5m for Barbashev (L2 LW)
2.5 for Brown (L3 RW)
2m for Janmark (L4 LW)
Trade 2024 2nd for Grzelcyk

Use the remaining 4-5m to find a goalie.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
XXX-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Poehling-Puustinen
XXX-Carter-Nylander

POJ-Letang
Petts-Petry
Smith-Ruutta
Ruh

XXX
DeSmith

Pickering
Our 1st
Our 2024 1st
I've seen Hanafin's name thrown around on the main board. Still only 25 @ $5 million with 1 year left I believe.
How much more than the 14th and can we afford his raise?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I've seen Hanafin's name thrown around on the main board. Still only 25 @ $5 million with 1 year left I believe.
How much more than the 14th and can we afford his raise?
After next year Carter comes off the books. After that, not sure we could keep both Hanifin and Jake. I think Jake stays until the deadline. If we are out of it, he will be moved. If we have a chance,he stays and is extended. I only hope the trade protections on the next deal aren't too onerous

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
XXX-Malkin-Rust
DOC-Poehling-Puustinen
XXX-Carter-Nylander

POJ-Letang
Petts-Petry
Smith-Ruutta
Ruh

XXX
DeSmith

Pickering
Our 1st
Our 2024 1st
Why do I love this third line lol

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
DOC has been doing great at the world championships and has been a very good player in the AHL.

Gonna make a bold prediction here: he could be our next Bryan Rust. He doesn't have Rust's shot, but I would not be shocked to see DOC turn into a top six third wheel/tweener at some point. A different one than Rust, but maybe a guy who can bang in 20 goals and bring a supportive forechecking game.

I really think there's potential with him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
DOC has been doing great at the world championships and has been a very good player in the AHL.

Gonna make a bold prediction here: he could be our next Bryan Rust. He doesn't have Rust's shot, but I would not be shocked to see DOC turn into a top six third wheel/tweener at some point. A different one than Rust, but maybe a guy who can bang in 20 goals and bring a supportive forechecking game.

I could see it. Shot, size, skating, good tools to be a complimentary top-6 player.

Reactions: Pancakes

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I predict Nylander will outproduce and outdefend DOC next year. Not saying this to be a contrarian. I think people project DOC's forechecking and diligence onto his actual offensive abilities. His defensive awareness isn't particularly high either.
Will be pulling for him though. Nice to see hard work rewarded.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Nobody panic but Dominik Simon just got cut from his Czech team after scoring 3 points in 22 games.

As long as Sullivan never finds out we’re good.
It’s crazy to think dumbass Sully played Simon every game for almost the entire season only a short time ago and that Hextall even signed him in the first place.

Reason 104 it’s a f***ing joke Sully still has a job here. Not sure how the premiere ownership group extended this fool when he had two years left on his deal, when he’s failed in the playoffs so many years. Pure ineptitude on the ownership.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Janmark would be a nice pickup. An improved Archibald...fast with more offense but less hitting.
1684723728074.png

Archibald was a rock defensively. Given that he was getting 72% D-zone starts and was saddled with struggling Blue and washed Carter, his lines did a great job shutting the door.
I liked his PK work too. Very pleasantly surprised with his defensive awareness and commitment this year. His scoring was crap but that's what you expect under these conditions.

Think there's a strong case to bring him back. If your bottom 6 lines are deployed the way ours are and end up net positives on the year, you're almost sure to make the playoffs.
Our problem was L3 couldn't defend worth dick.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
View attachment 711326
Archibald was a rock defensively. Given that he was getting 72% D-zone starts and was saddled with struggling Blue and washed Carter, his lines did a great job shutting the door.
I liked his PK work too. Very pleasantly surprised with his defensive awareness and commitment this year. His scoring was crap but that's what you expect under these conditions.

Think there's a strong case to bring him back. If your bottom 6 lines are deployed the way ours are and end up net positives on the year, you're almost sure to make the playoffs.
Our problem was L3 couldn't defend worth dick.
I'd bring Archibald back if he came on another 1 year deal at around 1M, I'd also look at Janmark too.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

I hope so. I just don't see it in him, I want, I really really want...

Reactions: Pancakes and Andy99

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I'd make a bet DOC never scores 20 in a season once in his career. Not that he can't be a solid NHLer. Just don't see anything more than the third wheel on a third line or a solid fourth liner.

DOC is doing well at the worlds playing center.

Hes fourth on the US team in goals. I bet given more than a 4th line role he could hit 20. He gets barely 9mins a game and got 70% Dzone draws last year.

Sullivan needs to stop using his bottom 6 like an idiot

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

What's good is that sometimes a higher profile tournament like this could do wonders for his confidence. 3/4 of the way through last season, something clicked with DOC. His was super aggressive on the forecheck, he was using his body and size, and was just playing with some swag. Pivot to this tournament where he is playing well and contributing, you hope that he takes this level of confidence and runs with it to start next season. You also hope the coach (god willing if its Sullivan) notices this too and tries to tap into it and cultivate it.
I'd make a bet DOC never scores 20 in a season once in his career. Not that he can't be a solid NHLer. Just don't see anything more than the third wheel on a third line or a solid fourth liner.
He doesn't have to though. If he turns into a solid 15-20g scorer on the 3rd line, it's a win. I don't think 3rd lines have 3rd wheels. Especially on this team.
I predict everyone hates Nylander because of Sullivan’s over usage of him ala Simon within 20 games.
I think if people hate him it's because of meager play getting 10min on the 4th ala Kapanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad