Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't see why ROR would want to sign to be a 3C on a declining team tbh.

Like sure if they pay him a bunch, he might want to do that. But I still think he'd much rather go be a top-6 center on an actual contender.
Lots of opportunity for advancement here ;)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You forgot Poehling who's probably the best of the bunch.
You're right.

Maybe they relegate Nylander to 13th forward (should be Carter but Sully will never do that). Regardless, you have to figure that Granlund/Carter/DOC/Poehling are penciled into the lineup unless the new GM decides to push any of those guys to be scratches.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You're right.

Maybe they relegate Nylander to 13th forward (should be Carter but Sully will never do that). Regardless, you have to figure that Granlund/Carter/DOC/Poehling are penciled into the lineup unless the new GM decides to push any of those guys to be scratches.

If Granlund is here to start next season, this team is going to suck ass.

Reactions: Pens x and Andy99

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The one advantage the new GM will have coming in is that despite the anchors of the Carter and Granlund contracts, the Pens have a ton of cap space to work with.

According to CapFriendly, the Pens have 15 players already for next team's roster (which includes Nylander, but not any of our RFAs). They need to fill 8 spots, and have ~19M to do it with. So, an average of ~2.4M per roster spot.

Assuming Granlund, Nylander and Carter are all in the bottom six, the 8 spots remaining include:
1 top six winger
1 starting goaltender
3 bottom six forwards
1 bottom pairing defenseman (which I'm assuming will end up being Smith, anyway)

Only the top two of those positions should require more than 2.5M in cap hit, each.
Plus, 3 of those spots are likely filled by DOC, Poehling and Smith, who should all still come in relatively cheap.

So as long as we can avoid signing any fourth line players to any 2.75-3.5M cap hit contracts (*cough*McGinn/Tanev*cough*), they should have plenty of flexibility.

And that's even without trading a single player off the current roster. (I would be astonished if no players were traded off the roster this summer).

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I hope they buy him out, but I dunno if they have the balls

Then they aren't committed to winning.

The one advantage the new GM will have coming in is that despite the anchors of the Carter and Granlund contracts, the Pens have a ton of cap space to work with.

According to CapFriendly, the Pens have 15 players already for next team's roster (which includes Nylander, but not any of our RFAs). They need to fill 8 spots, and have ~19M to do it with. So, an average of ~2.4M per roster spot.

Assuming Granlund, Nylander and Carter are all in the bottom six, the 8 spots remaining include:
1 top six winger
1 starting goaltender
3 bottom six forwards
1 bottom pairing defenseman (which I'm assuming will end up being Smith, anyway)

Only the top two of those positions should require more than 2.5M in cap hit, each.
Plus, 3 of those spots are likely filled by DOC, Poehling and Smith, who should all still come in relatively cheap.

So as long as we can avoid signing any fourth line players to any 2.75-3.5M cap hit contracts (*cough*McGinn/Tanev*cough*), they should have plenty of flexibility.

And that's even without trading a single player off the current roster. (I would be astonished if no players were traded off the roster this summer).

In what world do we only need 1 bottom pairing defenseman?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Then they aren't committed to winning.

In what world do we only need 1 bottom pairing defenseman?
1. BS

2. In a reality where you have the likes of: POJ, Smith, Rutta, Rudwedel, and Freidman. We are healthy through #8. We shouldn't be waisting cap space on a #9. The WBS call up will be fine in that role, whether that be Fedun, Ouellet, Pickering (if he goes to the A), or even Belliveau. You kinda get who you get if you are reaching to #9.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
What's Tyler Johnson like these days? Could we swap him for Granlund? Or Jason Dickinson?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
1. BS

2. In a reality where you have the likes of: POJ, Smith, Rutta, Rudwedel, and Freidman. We are healthy through #8. We shouldn't be waisting cap space on a #9. The WBS call up will be fine in that role, whether that be Fedun, Ouellet, Pickering (if he goes to the A), or even Belliveau. You kinda get who you get if you are reaching to #9.

We need a top four LD, arguably top pairing at minimum a #3.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

1 top six winger
1 starting goaltender
3 bottom six forwards

Pretty spot on. I think it may depend too on how they view Granlund. You could reshape the 3rd line with him on it, you just need a good 3C or two speedy wings that are triggermen. Honestly, someone like Sprong. Then if you could find a guy like a 2016/17 Rust for the LW, you might be okay. Or a guy like 2016 Bonino for center. Someone who can forecheck and the duel role of shooter/passer. You just can't stick Granlund with like-minded players otherwise your shot differentials will plummet.

We need a top four LD, arguably top pairing at minimum a #3.
We do but it's low on the priority list.

I'd much rather "miss out" on a #3 or 2nd pairing dman but get the starting goalie and bottom 6 players we need. Petts-Letang, POJ-Petry, Smith-Rutta is fine if you are able to bring in a legit starter, a new 3rd line, and ideally a new coach that can help put a defensive structure in place. Because, let's be honest, it doesn't really matter who we bring in if Sullivan is still behind the bench.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Pretty spot on. I think it may depend too on how they view Granlund. You could reshape the 3rd line with him on it, you just need a good 3C or two speedy wings that are triggermen. Honestly, someone like Sprong. Then if you could find a guy like a 2016/17 Rust for the LW, you might be okay. Or a guy like 2016 Bonino for center. Someone who can forecheck and the duel role of shooter/passer. You just can't stick Granlund with like-minded players otherwise your shot differentials will plummet.

We do but it's low on the priority list.

I'd much rather "miss out" on a #3 or 2nd pairing dman but get the starting goalie and bottom 6 players we need. Petts-Letang, POJ-Petry, Smith-Rutta is fine if you are able to bring in a legit starter, a new 3rd line, and ideally a new coach that can help put a defensive structure in place. Because, let's be honest, it doesn't really matter who we bring in if Sullivan is still behind the bench.

I gotta disagree. Top four LD is honestly my biggest need after goaltending for this roster.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think ROR gets 5 million. Not really something we can afford on a 3C.
I'd pay ROR 5 mil - and more - in a heartbeat.

ROR isn't just a 3C...he can be a 2C, or a 2LW, flirt with a p/g in the playoffs, provide elite faceoffs, add a ton of give-a-shit and instantly make any line he's on much better defensively. He's the next best thing to Bergeron when it comes to a star defensive center who can provide top 6 offense.

Of course, we need to get rid of some garbage contracts. Hence the futures comment. People will wax about spending futures in a direct trade for a mediocre 3C but scoff at using them as sweetener to offload a bad deal then just signing someone who's actually good.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I'd pay ROR 5 mil - and more - in a heartbeat.

ROR isn't just a 3C...he can be a 2C, or a 2LW, flirt with a p/g in the playoffs, provide elite faceoffs, add a ton of give-a-shit and instantly make any line he's on much better defensively. He's the next best thing to Bergeron when it comes to a star defensive center who can provide top 6 offense.

Of course, we need to get rid of some garbage contracts. Hence the futures comment. People will wax about spending futures in a direct trade for a mediocre 3C but scoff at using them as sweetener to offload a bad deal then just signing someone who's actually good.
If we could get Barbashev for Geno's LW and O'Rielly for 3C i'll be ecstatic

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Granlund is worth a look before you ever spit out the name, Tyler Johnson. He's often injured which this team needs no part of. 5'8" doesn't particularly appeal to me either.
What's Tyler Johnson like these days? Could we swap him for Granlund? Or Jason Dickinson?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I’d just keep Granlund if you can’t trade him, which shouldn’t be hard to do if you don’t mind taking a loss on that 2nd we gave up. Right now he’s our 6th best forward.

He’s a top 6 player on many, if not a majority, of teams and paid what you’d expect. Hynes would probably love him back if that’s even allowed.

Personally I’m in favor of just running 3 O-minded lines and bumping Granlund up when Sid or Geno are out, which, even in a healthy season, might be 15-20 games missed for both.

Give that 1st unit a little less than the 95 seconds they typically get too, Granlund will get his points on the 2nd unit with 45-55 seconds.

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
With all of that cap space, you've got to wonder how much of it idiot Sullivan is going to spend on signing Rodrigues.

Also, what kind of $ is he going to throw at Simon to try and coax him back from the Czech league?

It‘s scary because it’s true.

• Haha
Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I’d just keep Granlund if you can’t trade him, which shouldn’t be hard to do if you don’t mind taking a loss on that 2nd we gave up. Right now he’s our 6th best forward.

He’s a top 6 player on many, if not a majority, of teams and paid what you’d expect. Hynes would probably love him back if that’s even allowed.

Personally I’m in favor of just running 3 O-minded lines and bumping Granlund up when Sid or Geno are out, which, even in a healthy season, might be 15-20 games missed for both.

Give that 1st unit a little less than the 95 seconds they typically get too, Granlund will get his points on the 2nd unit with 45-55 seconds.
Hell, he'd probably make a nice set up man for Evgeni and Rust. If only Sully would put him in a position to succeed.
Then you'd just need a couple 3rd liners that could slide up adequately when called upon.
Jake- Sid- RickyRack
Granlund- Zhenia- Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad