Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I’d trade Jake for a different player. Not moving him for futures.
I'd be careful though, there are lots of good players than he can be moved for but aren't as clutch as Jake come playoff time. Jake checks all those boxes

Velluci is potentially a goner

Have to think the best and biggest name out there as of now is Brunette. Can't see him wanted to stay in NJ especially with their GM saying the other day that Ruff would be back

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t get The Athletic but another poster summarized his article…yuck on Jarry lol

“Some UFA content from Dom Luszczyszyn of the Athletic. If you aren't aware, Dom is very stats/analytics/projection model based:

--Has Orlov as the top UFA available; states he should still be a 6M AAV player, but on a longer term deal he won't be worth that amount.
--Says Bertuzzi is a good middle 6 player; he lacks ability to be top line player because he stinks without the puck.

--Dom had JT Compher getting paid somewhere over 5M AAV, however, there is an issue with him. He was a strong shutdown center during the regular season, and then was awful in the playoffs...badly outchanced, outscored 5-2, worst scoring chance generator for Colorado.

--Evolving Wild has Jarry's projection model at 6.8M AAV for 6 years. He's in the top 10 for games started over the past 2 seasons (a bit of a surprise with his injuries), however, he slips to 23rd when accounting for quality of shots faced. Jarry is projected to be the 19th best goalie in the league next year. Dom says the numbers don't support him getting that level of pay.

--Ryan Graves projected around 5M AAV, but Dom says he wouldn't pay that either. Good defender with size, but his puck skills are very limited.

--Evan Rodrigues is "proving himself as a legitimate top-six player." It's based on his ability to create plays and two years of 57-59 expected goals.

--Dom says Jason Zucker at 4.5-5M seems a bit rich. Liked his resurgence last year but it felt more like "a dead cat bounce." (never heard that term before)

--The expected contract for Barbashev is 4.5M for 4 years. The model prediction says 3.3M

--Gostisbehere, expected 5.8M for 4 years. Model prediction says 4.9M. Dom says he's not the Norris candidate player he was in 2018, but he's not the dead contract player he was in 2021 either. Good defending the rush and can put up 40-50 points.

--Korpisalo predicted to get 2.6M over 2 years; Model says 3.6M AAV

--Radko Gudas, projected 3.1M for 3 years; Model says 2.8M. Dom says he is exactly what a playoff team needs on their 3rd pairing come playoff time, and not just for the hits. He can drive play, as evidence by being on the ice for 57% of actual and expected goals over last 2 seasons.”

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I don’t get The Athletic but another poster summarized his article…yuck on Jarry lol

“Some UFA content from Dom Luszczyszyn of the Athletic. If you aren't aware, Dom is very stats/analytics/projection model based:

--Has Orlov as the top UFA available; states he should still be a 6M AAV player, but on a longer term deal he won't be worth that amount.
--Says Bertuzzi is a good middle 6 player; he lacks ability to be top line player because he stinks without the puck.

--Dom had JT Compher getting paid somewhere over 5M AAV, however, there is an issue with him. He was a strong shutdown center during the regular season, and then was awful in the playoffs...badly outchanced, outscored 5-2, worst scoring chance generator for Colorado.

--Evolving Wild has Jarry's projection model at 6.8M AAV for 6 years. He's in the top 10 for games started over the past 2 seasons (a bit of a surprise with his injuries), however, he slips to 23rd when accounting for quality of shots faced. Jarry is projected to be the 19th best goalie in the league next year. Dom says the numbers don't support him getting that level of pay.

--Ryan Graves projected around 5M AAV, but Dom says he wouldn't pay that either. Good defender with size, but his puck skills are very limited.

--Evan Rodrigues is "proving himself as a legitimate top-six player." It's based on his ability to create plays and two years of 57-59 expected goals.

--Dom says Jason Zucker at 4.5-5M seems a bit rich. Liked his resurgence last year but it felt more like "a dead cat bounce." (never heard that term before)

--The expected contract for Barbashev is 4.5M for 4 years. The model prediction says 3.3M

--Gostisbehere, expected 5.8M for 4 years. Model prediction says 4.9M. Dom says he's not the Norris candidate player he was in 2018, but he's not the dead contract player he was in 2021 either. Good defending the rush and can put up 40-50 points.

--Radko Gudas, projected 3.1M for 3 years; Model says 2.8M. Dom says he is exactly what a playoff team needs on their 3rd pairing come playoff time, and not just for the hits. He can drive play, as evidence by being on the ice for 57% of actual and expected goals over last 2 seasons.”
Orlov, Bertuzzi and Korpisalo can and should all be a target this summer and be priorities.

Then I just want the roster filled with guys that will sacrifice and be willing to get in the dirty areas while being solid skaters and able to play at a high pace. Like we talked about the other day, Miles Wood would be one for a bottom 6 role if not too expensive

I don't want Erod, Zucker back, move on!!!

Ryan Graves was kind of shaky and a lot of Devils fans seem to be willing to let him go

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I think it was a mistake letting ERod walk. Switching Carter for ERod would have been nice this past year. What some people's aversion to that guy was, I will never understand.

Jarry can f*** right off for that amount. Hard no. I'd rather run Tokarski-Desmith and save the money.

Zucker at 3.5-4.5 would be nice, but it may also come down to term.

I would absolutely give Barbashev the $4.5 x 4mil if I thought he'd come here. He's exactly what we need slotting in on the 3rd line. Given the FA class, not many better targets to be honest. He would also be the fill in 2C that we really need. Right now, it's...Carter? Poehling? Not good enough.

I would absolutely be willing to do Korpisalo at $2.6m or $3.6mil. That would be a no-brainer to run Korps-Desmith for $3+1.8. Worst case, after this year, CDS goes away, you bring in a new goalie, and Korps becomes your 1B/BU.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Armia-Barbashev-Sundqvist
DOC-Carter-Nylander
Puustinen

Pettersson-Letang
POJ-Petry
Smith-Rutta
Rudwedel

Korpisalo-DeSmith

Grandlund for Armia, Zucker @ $4mil, Barbashev @$4mil, Sundqvist @3mil, Korpisalo @$3mil. DOC, Smith, Puustinen @ 900k

$5mil in space so there would be room to sign a $3.5-4mil dman if needed.

Could easily run:
Armia-Barbrashev-DOC/Puustinen
DOC-Sundqvist-Puustinen/Carter

as well for the bottom 6.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

"Dead cat bounce" means that if you throw a dead cat off the roof, it'll still bounce a little when it hits the ground. Doesn't mean it's going to keep going up. It's used in investing circles:

The dead cat bounce describes a financial phenomenon whereby a stock in a steady decline suddenly, and without a logical cause, gains value temporarily before continuing its downward trend. The term originates from the saying that even a dead cat will bounce if dropped from high enough.Mar 31, 2023

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
"Dead cat bounce" means that if you throw a dead cat off the roof, it'll still bounce a little when it hits the ground. Doesn't mean it's going to keep going up. It's used in investing circles:

The dead cat bounce describes a financial phenomenon whereby a stock in a steady decline suddenly, and without a logical cause, gains value temporarily before continuing its downward trend. The term originates from the saying that even a dead cat will bounce if dropped from high enough.Mar 31, 2023

Seems obvious that will happen with Zucker.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

If this team signed the following players:
Barbeshev
Bertuzzi
Korpisalo

It would address all our major goalie and bottom 6 needs. This assumes Zucker isn't resigned.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To use another dead cat saying... you can't swing one around the locker room without hitting at least a half a dozen guys that need to go find somewhere else to waste oxygen.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If this team signed the following players:
Barbeshev
Bertuzzi
Korpisalo

It would address all our major goalie and bottom 6 needs. This assumes Zucker isn't resigned.
I don't disagree. But with Sid and Geno in their mid-30s and Cup hopes dwindling quick, what motivation do they have to come here? Cash? Term?

Then, do you think we would be able to get them on good-value contracts?

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Not really, doesn't seem like anyone else substantial will be available. If the leafs trade Marner/Nylander they'll want to swap them for a player that brings a different element. The Pens can really only offer futures
Or Guentzel++ for one of those two.

I dunno about the assistants but I will only believe Sullivan's job is in danger when he's actually, officially fired. Even then, I may not believe it. :laugh:
Sullsma has proven twice as difficult to get rid of as Byslma.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't disagree. But with Sid and Geno in their mid-30s and Cup hopes dwindling quick, what motivation do they have to come here? Cash? Term?

Then, do you think we would be able to get them on good-value contracts?

From my math, we'd be able to afford all those contracts. So give them term AND cash if they want. We have maybe 2 years until the window is shut, so give the farm away at this point, "value contracts" be damned.

Disco Dan making a huge asshole out of himself on the international stage accelerated things enormously, I think.

Yea the Olympics followed shortly by blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Rags (too bad history didn't repeat) sealed his fate

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
From my math, we'd be able to afford all those contracts. So give them term AND cash if they want. We have maybe 2 years until the window is shut, so give the farm away at this point, "value contracts" be damned.

Yea the Olympics followed shortly by blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Rags (too bad history didn't repeat) sealed his fate

Probably would’ve repeated itself if the Olympics weren’t cancelled tbh.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think it's kinda funny how everyone made a HUGE stink over that blown 3-1 lead back then but the recent one to the Rangers seemed to pass mostly with a bunch of shoulder shrugs, at worst.

Well Sully has had "goaltending" as his scapegoats for his last couple of playoff flameouts
I swear he should be sending Jarry an Edible Arrangements every month for keeping his own job secure

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well Sully has had "goaltending" as his scapegoats for his last couple of playoff flameouts
I swear he should be sending Jarry an Edible Arrangements every month for keeping his own job secure

There's always an excuse to be found if you're a raging ego-monster who can never be held accountable, I guess.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think it's kinda funny how everyone made a HUGE stink over that blown 3-1 lead back then but the recent one to the Rangers seemed to pass mostly with a bunch of shoulder shrugs, at worst.
Well Disco wasn't running a third string goalie in net or had Sidney Crosby get concussed.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I would try and use our 1st or prospects for a player like Nicolas Roy, Jack McBain, Ryan McLeod as our 3C.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Barbashev - Malkin - Rust
DOC - Roy - Geekie
Nieto - Poehling - Carter
Nylander

Grzelyck - Letang
Petts - Petry
Smith - Rutta
POJ

Gibson
Hill

3rd and Ruhwedel for Grz
Desmith 3rd, 5th and 6th for Gibson
1st for Roy and Buffalo's 3rd
Geekie for Buffalo's 3rd
Buyout Granlund
Barbashev, Nieto and Hill in UFA

I think that's a lot of trades and not necessarily what I expect, but seems like a realistic roster although cap seems a little over.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I would try and use our 1st or prospects for a player like Nicolas Roy, Jack McBain, Ryan McLeod as our 3C.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rakell
Barbashev - Malkin - Rust
DOC - Roy - Geekie
Nieto - Poehling - Carter
Nylander

Grzelyck - Letang
Petts - Petry
Smith - Rutta
POJ

Gibson
Hill

3rd and Ruhwedel for Grz
Desmith 3rd, 5th and 6th for Gibson
1st for Roy and Buffalo's 3rd
Geekie for Buffalo's 3rd
Buyout Granlund
Barbashev, Nieto and Hill in UFA

I think that's a lot of trades and not necessarily what I expect, but seems like a realistic roster although cap seems a little over.

I'm not against or for your proposal

But I get this feeling that they see themselves as set at center (Sid, Geno, Poehling, Carter).
If not, I'd rather try for someone like Compher vs anyone else.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Cost controlled 3rd line center with some room to improve gives us a piece we could potentially move down the line.

I'm not for using any draft picks unless it's for a major impact player. If it's a chip to get Helle, ok.
If it's to get a top 6 winger, fine

But I can't fathom spending 14th pick on a wholly average 3C.

What does history say about this pick: they likely won't be in the NHL in 3 years min? We'll need that kind of player after the window is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad