Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Buy out Granlund if you can’t trade him, sign Bunting, trade what it takes for Marner. Crosby will sort out Bunting and make him stick to forechecking.

Bunting-Crosby-Marner
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

Bunting would be Matt Cooke/Steve Downie rolled into one if he played here. I'm not referring to his playing style -- I'm referring to his being laser-beam targeted by the referees. They've already been whining about that a lot in Toronto, just imagine what will happen if he wears a Pens sweater.

He'll get beaten up every game like he won't believe (with no teammates to 'have his back', on Mike Sullivan's Penguins), he will get called for "diving" every time someone gives him a concussion or removes 10 of his teeth with their stick (no penalty on the play otherwise), and will be sent to the box every time he even LOOKS at an opposing player.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
How do my fellow fans feel about this trade with Montreal

Josh Anderson + Florida pick for 14th + Jeff Carter (if he waives) or Granlund.

Maybe it's me but I feel Josh Anderson has that intensity that would be huge for us.

4 more years at 5.5 million.
Left winger

I thought he was 27 he is 29.. but the contract ends at 33/34 which is the end of a prime.

Thoughts?
I like Anderson but Id want to use the 14th to get a more substantial piece. Use it to get a good goalie or in package for a difference maker like Karlsson

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I like Anderson but Id want to use the 14th to get a more substantial piece. Use it to get a good goalie or in package for a difference maker like Karlsson
Fair enough.

I do feel the value was better on there side the Montreal fans really like it haha.

I honestly just want to know what's out there. Karlsson would be interesting. But we are rather old... is Petry going there?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Fair enough.

I do feel the value was better on there side the Montreal fans really like it haha.

I honestly just want to know what's out there. Karlsson would be interesting. But we are rather old... is Petry going there?
Sharks fans like this trade:

14th + Granlund + Pickering + POJ/Smith + 2024 3rd for Karlsson with 2.5m retained.

I would do that and then flip Petry for a top-4 LD.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
That is a steep price in my head.

Basically an all in trade. Karlssons value has never been higher as well.
Yeah and Karlsson being 33 is also concerning. Could drop off at any point from here. Imo they have to make an all in move like that to have any chance at contention.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Yeah and Karlsson being 33 is also concerning. Could drop off at any point from here. Imo they have to make an all in move like that to have any chance at contention.

I think If Karlsson was 29 I'd be interested.

I think that's basically all our assets on a 33 year old guy. WHO I believe should win the Norris this year and is imo the best Dman since Lidstrom.

I just wonder if Pickering + 14th + smith/poj can get us something else that is better?

I really wanted to do the JT Miller trade. His defensive play be damned.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Sharks fans like this trade:

14th + Granlund + Pickering + POJ/Smith + 2024 3rd for Karlsson with 2.5m retained.

I would do that and then flip Petry for a top-4 LD.
Then could we FINALLY trade Letang?

Too much for me. I could see 14th, Granlund, and 1 of POJ/Smith for Karlsson retained. Adding Pickering and the 3rd, just too much. I mean, that is complete devastation of our defensive prospect cupboards. For a 33yo guy. If they want Poulin or Legare or Hallander, we can talk.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The only decent "natural" powerplay-type player on unit 1 is probably Malkin. And even he isn't amazing at it like his old buddy Gonchar and the team has him in the wrong spot and has for years, anyway.

Any bench boss worth his salt would have started doing shit like icing the second unit deliberately for 1:30 and keeping the first unit on the bench to let 'em stew. At least at SOME point last year. I mean... they could have also done much more to actually tinker with strategy/entries/setup but this is Sullivan's bench and I'm not expecting much, here.
I thought Sid was particularly bad this year on the PP. The worst in his career possibly. 3 PPG's at the 45 game mark.
His PPP/P60 dropped from 7.81 in 2021-22 to 5.04 this year. Colossal fall.
Malkin's the one that didn't drop off. His friends did.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Keller’s dad allegedly says he wants out due to the decision.

He’s what we need.

That would be huge.

No chance it happens of course.

I thought Sid was particularly bad this year on the PP. The worst in his career possibly. 3 PPG's at the 45 game mark.
His PPP/P60 dropped from 7.81 in 2021-22 to 5.04 this year. Colossal fall.
Malkin's the one that didn't drop off. His friends did.

Malkin could have been better, too. Not letting him off the hook. But I agree... he's got a natural feel for the powerplay the other guys don't. I wish they would put egos aside and just put him in the best possible position and then build the first unit out from there. Because him on the point ain't it and never has been. He's just willing to do it.

Last edited:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It's hard to imagine Karlsson coming here, but if he can play like he did last season, he would be a difference-maker. I'd probably do a deal for him if it was just Petry or Granlund as a cap dump plus a good asset like Pickering or maybe the 14th overall. I do worry about his usage here and how he would fit in with Letang, though. Karlsson didn't seem to be at his best while Burns was still in San Jose. He seemed to do best when he was the unquestioned lead offensive D-Man, like he was in Ottawa and last year with Burns out of the picture in San Jose.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I'm saying the change you bring there won't be worth it most likely, just like it wasn't with our changes on the defense. They changed what was working too. We went from the 5th best defense to the 19th.
The Penguins did not miss the playoffs because of Guentzel. He was one of the guys keeping the standings tight. Even his PP play improved greatly in the 2nd half.

There are ways to improve the team without sacrificing Guentzel...
Goalie, 3C, top 4 LD, Garland, potential high value players making near league minimum for the bottom 6, disposing of Granlund, benching Carter, THE COACHES.

Those are the things you address. You don't f*** with what's working unless you have a slam dunk replacement. We already know Guentzel knows how to play with our Centers. We don't know that with whoever comes here.

Oh and Jake had 8 goals last playoffs. So if you wanna win a round, NOT the guy to axe.

I get what you are explaining and I can't say I disagree with much of it.
But my point is that if significant change on this roster happens, Jake is really the only chip and method to do that. Would you agree?

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Lots of teams with cap issues. We have cap space. Need to take advantage of that and not waste our space on declining UFAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad