Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
our best aquisition on defense would be to get some forwards with actual blood streaming through their veins, that can put some pressure on the opposing defense carrying the puck out and that can take bodies in the NZ. Our TOP 6 including Sid and Geno are not good at this, whether its them. motiviation or system. I don't care who you put back there, they will have a lot of issues defending guys skating through NZ untouched. If we are not getting any better dman, than don't leave them there exposed, being the lightest and softest defense in NHL

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You answered your own question.
Malkin & Letang do not equal Petry. So it's not even a legit comparison.

What I found odd about the Petry acquisition is that they had just re-signed Letang and we all knew his history. So let's add a 35 yr old with a ton of miles as our #2 Dman? It was a weird approach.

This isn't a bag on Petry per se as I thought he played in line with expectations. But moreso about the overall sense of "getting older" in general somehow would equate to better results. I'll reserve full judgment about JP until I see him next year. But if he's unavailable for big chunks of the season, this will rightfully be questioned.

What I find odd about Petry is we are complaining about a 30+ pt defenseman who can play 20+ minutes a night.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nylander+Knies+McCabe

for

Guentzel+POJ+14ov

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Knies-Malkin-Nylander
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

McCabe-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta

I'm just thinking about the Eklund rumor that Jake is a "to watch" person. We all thought Neal would be a staple forever and JR immediately shipped him out once he took over. Jake will likely get a $7.5-8mil deal. You can at least push that a tad with Nylander. Knies gets you that youth. McCabb fills a defensive hole better than POJ.

Basically - Jake+POJ for Nylander+McCabe; Knies for 14ov (this is a "he's ready now" move and we hope the 14ov turns into him).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Nylander+Knies+McCabe

for

Guentzel+POJ+14ov

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Knies-Malkin-Nylander
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

McCabe-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta

I'm just thinking about the Eklund rumor that Jake is a "to watch" person. We all thought Neal would be a staple forever and JR immediately shipped him out once he took over. Jake will likely get a $7.5-8mil deal. You can at least push that a tad with Nylander. Knies gets you that youth. McCabb fills a defensive hole better than POJ.

Basically - Jake+POJ for Nylander+McCabe; Knies for 14ov (this is a "he's ready now" move and we hope the 14ov turns into him).

There isn't a chance in hell the Leafs move Knies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
What I find odd about Petry is we are complaining about a 30+ pt defenseman who can play 20+ minutes a night.

* Who couldn't stay healthy*
Which was really the entire thread/thesis of my post. Is there some dog whistle feature on this forum where you get notified whenever someone mentions Petry?

Reactions: Pens x

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Some of his biggest critics are critics for the wrong reasons.

I think we could better utilize that 6M+ AND should seriously consider getting younger at the 2RD position. Dude is old. Letang is old. Pick one, not both. Obviously Petry should go based on production and Letang's being better / NMC.

I don't usually toss around age for the sake of it - because you can be productive at later ages...just seriously something to consider on the blueline. If we're expecting two 36 year olds to hold the fort for 20+ minutes a night, I think it's an unnecessary gamble that we're taking.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
For boredom's sake, let's imagine a world where we didn't sign Petry. I was against it as I really liked Matheson but understood the need to "shake up" the blueline

Let's also assume Marino is traded.

So my theoretical (not idiotic Sully pairings)

Petts-Letang
Math-Rutta
Dumo- POJ (yes I realize he's on the offside)

I'm not sure if that group is stronger or better from what we rolled out last year. Also with Letang going down it leaves the right side very bare.

Reactions: Gurglesons

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
You answered your own question.
Malkin & Letang do not equal Petry. So it's not even a legit comparison.

What I found odd about the Petry acquisition is that they had just re-signed Letang and we all knew his history. So let's add a 35 yr old with a ton of miles as our #2 Dman? It was a weird approach.

This isn't a bag on Petry per se as I thought he played in line with expectations. But moreso about the overall sense of "getting older" in general somehow would equate to better results. I'll reserve full judgment about JP until I see him next year. But if he's unavailable for big chunks of the season, this will rightfully be questioned.
I think its legit in that a 35/36 year old can definitely play D as Petry has shown when he played last season. He can still move the puck and can play those heavy mins

I was a big fan of Matheson, one of his bigger supporters here ( go check my post history) But I understood why we nabbed Petry (a change was needed) hes got a little more sandpaper to his game, his outlet passes are much better which I am sure the organization would rather have him giving outlet passes to the top 6 further creating more chances among other favorables.

Yes there is more to be seen with Petry to make a fair evaluation but I am not going to knock him on the injuries last year. Its not something we have seen regularly from him over the years. I get some concerns with 2 35+ back there but if they can play then they can play.

Letang is just an anomaly, hes probably one of the better conditioned athletes in the NHL. He could skate circles around guys 10 years younger than him

Reactions: Gurglesons

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think its legit in that a 35/36 year old can definitely play D as Petry has shown when he played last season. He can still move the puck and can play those heavy mins

I was a big fan of Matheson, one of his bigger supporters here ( go check my post history) But I understood why we nabbed Petry (a change was needed) hes got a little more sandpaper to his game, his outlet passes are much better which I am sure the organization would rather have him giving outlet passes to the top 6 further creating more chances among other favorables.

Yes there is more to be seen with Petry to make a fair evaluation but I am not going to knock him on the injuries last year. Its not something we have seen regularly from him over the years.

You'll see in my post above that we mostly agree on Math.

And another poster clarified my feelings well on Petry/age thing.
I don't usually toss around age for the sake of it - because you can be productive at later ages...just seriously something to consider on the blueline. If we're expecting two 36 year olds to hold the fort for 20+ minutes a night, I think it's an unnecessary gamble that we're taking.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Some of his biggest critics are critics for the wrong reasons.

I think we could better utilize that 6M+ AND should seriously consider getting younger at the 2RD position. Dude is old. Letang is old. Pick one, not both. Obviously Petry should go based on production and Letang's being better / NMC.

I guess my thing is if you have covered up their names and asked someone to look at their game logs would you guess that those are two players that are 35+

Thats why I dont really look at age, more performance. Athletes these days have access to much much more recovery options/supplements/healthy living/training etc then their counterparts of the past.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
For boredom's sake, let's imagine a world where we didn't sign Petry. I was against it as I really liked Matheson but understood the need to "shake up" the blueline

Petts-Letang
Math-Rutta

I'm not sure if that group is stronger or better from what we rolled out last year. Also with Letang going down it leaves the right side very bare.
We may have missed the playoffs by 5 points instead of 2.

The Great Mighty Poo

I don't like you either.
Feb 21, 2020
Nylander+Knies+McCabe

for

Guentzel+POJ+14ov

Rakell-Crosby-Rust
Knies-Malkin-Nylander
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

McCabe-Letang
Pettersson-Petry
Smith-Rutta

I wouldn't trust that f***ing guy even if his tongue was notarized.

Also he looks like he diddles children in a church basement.
Stream Eklund from Hockey Buzz joins Predators Playoff Hour on 4-16-15 by  thegamenashville.com | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Petts-Letang
Math-Rutta

I don't think we are any better or worse off in your premise.

But that said, I don't think they trade Marino without also trading Matheson. Obviously they are two different trades but I have a hard time seeing them just doing the Marino trade. I imagine both trades were predicated on each other.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don't think we are any better or worse off in your premise.

But that said, I don't think they trade Marino without also trading Matheson. Obviously they are two different trades but I have a hard time seeing them just doing the Marino trade. I imagine both trades were predicated on each other.

You're probably right, specifically since in my scenario they are very thin on the right side (which Marino plays).

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So there are rumors about the Rangers wanting to acquire Sully. What would the cost actually look like?
I think it would have to due with mutual contract termination between Sully and Penguins.

While everything at this point is a mystery, there's been smoke about this Sully to NYR stuff. It's possible that those on the inside know something we don't. (and by inside I don't mean Brooks, Rossi, etc).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
our best aquisition on defense would be to get some forwards with actual blood streaming through their veins, that can put some pressure on the opposing defense carrying the puck out and that can take bodies in the NZ. Our TOP 6 including Sid and Geno are not good at this, whether its them. motiviation or system. I don't care who you put back there, they will have a lot of issues defending guys skating through NZ untouched. If we are not getting any better dman, than don't leave them there exposed, being the lightest and softest defense in NHL
Absolutely 100%. Our back pressure is often ‘token’ at best. Couple guys do it well. Heinen was surprisingly good at it, maybe because he played so little that he was fresh enough to show that extra effort.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
The Pens really need to add another difference maker if they're serious about contending. If the Leafs move one of their stars, they wont be looking for futures so I dont think the Pens are really a fit. Only one really available will be Karlsson. If nothing else, It would be really fun to have a Karlsson-Letang-Rutta RD core. Ideally you trade the 14th pick for a goalie but if if thats not possible..

Granlund + 2023 1st + Pickering + POJ or Smith + 2024 3rd for Karlsson with 1.5m retained. (10m AAV)

Trade Petry for a top-4 LD with a cap hit around 5m or under.

That leaves you with around 16.5m to fill out the rest of the roster. This is just for fun so dont bite my head off lol. The D as is, is fine imo. Just need to nuke the forward group and get a goalie

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
The Pens really need to add another difference maker if they're serious about contending. If the Leafs move one of their stars, they wont be looking for futures so I dont think the Pens are really a fit. Only one really available will be Karlsson. If nothing else, It would be really fun to have a Karlsson-Letang-Rutta RD core. Ideally you trade the 14th pick for a goalie but if if thats not possible..

Granlund + 2023 1st + Pickering + POJ or Smith + 2024 3rd for Karlsson with 1.5m retained. (10m AAV)

Trade Petry for a top-4 LD with a cap hit around 5m or under.

That leaves you with around 16.5m to fill out the rest of the roster. This is just for fun so dont bite my head off lol. The D as is, is fine imo. Just need to nuke the forward group and get a goalie

We've been on this train for 2.5 years now...maybe the next GM will get a freaking clue about it. This team HAS to get another guy who can create offense outside of Sid and Geno. It could be one of the Toronto guys for sure. I think they'd do great insulated by Sid/Geno. If they didn't want futures you dangle Guentzel. As good as Guentzel is - he's not a creator like either of Matthews or Marner.

If it's Matthews then a team like Colorado probably mortgages more than we do for him -but that would be amazing.

But yes - why we haven't gone harder after Karlsson is weird. Literally solves 3 problems in 1 trade. Our 14OA > Edmonton's 2 late 1sts with retention required. Posted that on the MB last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad