Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: We suck again summer edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Every summer we all work ourselves into a frenzy, thinking of super ambitious and proactive ways to dramatically alter the dogshit trajectory this team's been on for years. Then some time around July 5th, reality comes crashing back onto the scene and it's a somber few months before October, where we're, at any time, a good 5 games away from "Shades of '16, dudes" or "This is XGen Penguins-bad". :laugh:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We've been on this train for 2.5 years now...maybe the next GM will get a freaking clue about it. This team HAS to get another guy who can create offense outside of Sid and Geno. It could be one of the Toronto guys for sure. I think they'd do great insulated by Sid/Geno. If they didn't want futures you dangle Guentzel. As good as Guentzel is - he's not a creator like either of Matthews or Marner.

If it's Matthews then a team like Colorado probably mortgages more than we do for him -but that would be amazing.

But yes - why we haven't gone harder after Karlsson is weird. Literally solves 3 problems in 1 trade. Our 14OA > Edmonton's 2 late 1sts with retention required. Posted that on the MB last week.

Crazy that the team added Kessel and instantly won two cups and neither JR or Hextall have tried to replicate that. With Sid/Geno getting older, they need even more help now. Enough with the Kapanens/Granlunds etc. Empty the cabinet for a really difference maker.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They never tried to replicate that because they never had a guy with elite, game-breaking talent force his way onto the Penguins, severely impacting the price paid to acquire him and forcing his current team to have no choice. :laugh:

Point taken though about the scouting/coaching being utter dogshit for *years*. Agreed x1000.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
We've been on this train for 2.5 years now...maybe the next GM will get a freaking clue about it. This team HAS to get another guy who can create offense outside of Sid and Geno. It could be one of the Toronto guys for sure. I think they'd do great insulated by Sid/Geno. If they didn't want futures you dangle Guentzel. As good as Guentzel is - he's not a creator like either of Matthews or Marner.

If it's Matthews then a team like Colorado probably mortgages more than we do for him -but that would be amazing.

But yes - why we haven't gone harder after Karlsson is weird. Literally solves 3 problems in 1 trade. Our 14OA > Edmonton's 2 late 1sts with retention required. Posted that on the MB last week.

I seriously do like to fantasize about a couple of players being moved out for different pieces, but deep down I have a suspicion that this organization won't part with Rust or Jake. Believe they are seen as "homegrown" talent and they'll retain them as some sort of purple heart for themselves.

So I don't expect to see Rust moved unless he asks. I also expect Jake to sign a $9M extension. this offseason.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Every summer we all work ourselves into a frenzy, thinking of super ambitious and proactive ways to dramatically alter the dogshit trajectory this team's been on for years. Then some time around July 5th, reality comes crashing back onto the scene and it's a somber few months before October, where we're, at any time, a good 5 games away from "Shades of '16, dudes" or "This is XGen Penguins-bad". :laugh:
Every summer you regurgitate the same post 100 different ways, in all seriousness is this a post count status thing for you? You have to have some better things to do right? Only %50 of it is likely legit but I guess that solid for having so many of the same post a day

Not that it matters but I stopped taking you serious when you said both Geno and Crosby were done years ago and aren't top centers anymore. Hell that was probably 10,000 post ago +

Now i have to sift though your same old storybook post to see what others are saying. I want to know what you are like in real life............maybe. Do you talk so fast the words just come out like in your post:laugh:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Looking at the UFA Dman list, you kind of wonder if the time for a "defensive shakeup" wouldn't have been better this offseason? Realize this is all preliminary as guys could resign, but Dumba is a FA and some other solid names that could ramp up the physical factor.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I seriously do like to fantasize about a couple of players being moved out for different pieces, but deep down I have a suspicion that this organization won't part with Rust or Jake. Believe they are seen as "homegrown" talent and they'll retain them as some sort of purple heart for themselves.

So I don't expect to see Rust moved unless he asks. I also expect Jake to sign a $9M extension. this offseason.
Jake is a tough one b/c he plays like a top winger in the game when he's on and wouldn't be easy to replace. People said it was a down year for him and he was still just 4 goals shy of 40.

Even Rust 3rd most productive season in the NHL when you are looking at his scoring.

Replacements for them wouldn't come easy, will be interesting to see what a new GM brings. The NMC makes things tricky as well

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Jake is a tough one b/c he plays like a top winger in the game when he's on and wouldn't be easy to replace. People said it was a down year for him and he was still just 4 goals shy of 40.

Even Rust 3rd most productive season in the NHL when you are looking at his scoring.

Replacements for them wouldn't come easy, will be interesting to see what a new GM brings. The NMC makes things tricky as well

Yea I really like Jake so the thought of him not ending his time in Pitt makes me sad, but I feel like he's really the only significant moveable asset this team has at the moment. And like I said, I don't think it'll ever happen since there's a big risk with moving Crosby's most reliable winger.

But man I really think this team needs to evolve into something different as Sid/Geno move to their twilight years.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Moving Jake is just change for the sake of change. Our #1 shooter last year, in a season where our finishing was 31st.
Massive career even-strength producer. He is not the problem.

It's unlikely that you win that trade, if you're bringing someone at around the same AAV or less. His replacement may be better defensively and on PP1 (if he gets the spot), but the sacrifice at ES offense may not be worth it.

GCRak was +7 on the year with bad goaltending. It's working fine.
Fix the things that aren't.

Unless you're bringing in someone verifiably better like Meier, then don't do it.

Reactions: wej20

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Buy out Granlund if you can’t trade him, sign Bunting, trade what it takes for Marner. Crosby will sort out Bunting and make him stick to forechecking.

Bunting-Crosby-Marner
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Moving Jake is just change for the sake of change. Our #1 shooter last year, in a season where our finishing was 31st.

It's unlikely that you win that trade, if you're bringing someone at around the same AAV or less. His replacement may be better defensively and on PP1 (if he gets the spot), but the sacrifice at ES offense may not be worth it.

Unless you're bringing in someone verifiably better like Meier, then don't do it.
agreed, no point in moving him unless we can trade him for a top 7 pick and draft a player that can come in and contribute in the next 2 years. Then use that space in a UFA or RFA via trade, Meier, Bratt, DeBrincat come to mind

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

It's matter of Jake being the only asset available that could bring something. Who else on this team has any value that doesn't have a NMC? Jake is the only one who comes to mind.

"Just change for the sake of change"
Well yea, I like to make the playoffs and at least win a damn round before Sid/Geno depart

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Buy out Granlund if you can’t trade him, sign Bunting, trade what it takes for Marner. Crosby will sort out Bunting and make him stick to forechecking.

Bunting-Crosby-Marner
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
I really hope we can find a sucker for Granlund, a team like Arizona I'm sure can use him. I don't want to buy him out and have a cap payment for the next 4 seasons

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
It's matter of Jake being the only asset available that could bring something. Who else on this team has any value that doesn't have a NMC? Jake is the only one who comes to mind.

"Just change for the sake of change"
Well yea, I like to make the playoffs and at least win a damn round before Sid/Geno depart
I'm saying the change you bring there won't be worth it most likely, just like it wasn't with our changes on the defense. They changed what was working too. We went from the 5th best defense to the 19th.
The Penguins did not miss the playoffs because of Guentzel. He was one of the guys keeping the standings tight. Even his PP play improved greatly in the 2nd half.

There are ways to improve the team without sacrificing Guentzel...
Goalie, 3C, top 4 LD, Garland, potential high value players making near league minimum for the bottom 6, disposing of Granlund, benching Carter, THE COACHES.

Those are the things you address. You don't f*** with what's working unless you have a slam dunk replacement. We already know Guentzel knows how to play with our Centers. We don't know that with whoever comes here.

Oh and Jake had 8 goals last playoffs. So if you wanna win a round, NOT the guy to axe.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Even [Guentzel's] PP play improved greatly in the 2nd half.
I did not notice this at all.

The biggest issue with Guentzel the player (not the pending contract, its own issue) is that there is no chance he is taken off PP1 in a contract year. So basically it's 87/71/58/59 and one more, and then this board just b****s about Sully and Reirden all year.
It's fine if that's the path you want to take but the production has costs. There is no accountability in the 1st powerplay - it is treated as a glory entitlement. The players aren't that good at it either. Not a single dump/chase option in the 4 fixed guys.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I did not notice this at all.

The biggest issue with Guentzel the player (not the pending contract, its own issue) is that there is no chance he is taken off PP1 in a contract year. So basically it's 87/71/58/59 and one more, and then this board just b****s about Sully and Reirden all year.
It's fine if that's the path you want to take but the production has costs. There is no accountability in the 1st powerplay - it is treated as a glory entitlement. The players aren't that good at it either. Not a single dump/chase option in the 4 fixed guys.
I don't think he's actually that bad on the PP anymore. He just gets too few puck touches to help, because of where he is and what they do.
If you get him the puck near the net he's very dangerous with shooting and short range passing.

This is in contrast to Rust, who was a true liability there the first 20 games.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think he's actually that bad on the PP anymore. He just gets too few puck touches to help, because of where he is and what they do.
If you get him the puck near the net he's very dangerous with shooting and short range passing.

This is in contrast to Rust, who was a true liability there the first 20 games.

But the team had a better option in Zucker all year for PP1. Namely the ability to help in entries. Never used him there.

We won't do much this year with the ~17th ranked PP that also leaks a ton of shorthanded chances. It crushes our momentum. The more fixed pieces we have the less accountability there will be.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The only decent "natural" powerplay-type player on unit 1 is probably Malkin. And even he isn't amazing at it like his old buddy Gonchar and the team has him in the wrong spot and has for years, anyway.

Any bench boss worth his salt would have started doing shit like icing the second unit deliberately for 1:30 and keeping the first unit on the bench to let 'em stew. At least at SOME point last year. I mean... they could have also done much more to actually tinker with strategy/entries/setup but this is Sullivan's bench and I'm not expecting much, here.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
How do my fellow fans feel about this trade with Montreal

Josh Anderson + Florida pick for 14th + Jeff Carter (if he waives) or Granlund.

Maybe it's me but I feel Josh Anderson has that intensity that would be huge for us.

4 more years at 5.5 million.
Left winger

I thought he was 27 he is 29.. but the contract ends at 33/34 which is the end of a prime.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad