Speculation: Penguins off day talk thread: Yes, Sully is still the coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
@Gurglesons has a personality disorder. He wants some bite but than he doesn't.

And I am perfectly fine with the Archi/Acciari swap as Acciari over his career has done much of it better.

Also there was absolutely nothing wrong with Archie's game last season. He played excellent in the minute he played. Did a lot of the dirty things was up to the leagues in hits, especially considering the time he was on the that ice.

The whole thing is you can't judge Acciaris game off of five games when he's been a really good player over his career for what he does. Especially on this bottom six

I can and I am.

Archibald was trash and nobody gave a shit about him hitting them.

You Bob Errey?
Archibald was fairly low on the list of Penguins' problems last year. He's OK, I guess, as a 12/13 forward. But his physical presence is overrated because of his size. He didn't really separate guys from pucks. He wasn't wearing guys down.

Acciari is about 30 pounds heavier, plus he's historically a capable center. As a forechecker, he actually does make a difference and regularly separates players from the puck, generating opportunities for his team. And that's why it's been disappointing that he hasn't been as advertised.

I was an advocate for Acciari, even last year at the deadline. He needs to provide more, just like DOC and Nieto. It's also possible Sullivan and the staff need to utilize them better and perhaps make adjustments to the structure to allow Acciari to be the lead forechecker if he is not.

I'm not going to judge his overall ability off five games, but it cannot be argued that he is providing what he was signed for. He has been below the line and either needs to pick it up and/or needs better usage from the staff.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Acciari's problem is that he's mostly suited as a forechecker but Sullivan's system has him as the up-high forward on the forecheck. The system they run on the forecheck seems to use the wingers as the primary F1 and F2 and has the centers staying higher as the F3, but Acciari's bread and butter is being that forechecker.

Assuming you get someone else to play on the 3rd line, I'd plan on moving Zohorna to 4C and Acciari to the 4RW spot. Let him and Nieto be the forecheckers for that line and have Zohorna as the F3 up high. I think that setup is the most logical way to use those guys.
Yes, Acciari is more successful on the wing in this system…I’d like a better 3C and move Eller down

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes, Acciari is more successful on the wing in this system…I’d like a better 3C and move Eller down

Yeah I think Nieto-Eller-Acciari would be a really strong 4th line with how the system runs. Only issue is that you literally do not have a 3rd line if you run with that 4th line.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah I think Nieto-Eller-Acciari would be a really strong 4th line with how the system runs. Only issue is that you literally do not have a 3rd line if you run with that 4th line.
Have to make a trade somewhere…

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'd be willing to have Colin White as a fourth line center if it means Acciari on the wing as a primary forecheck and Carter in the press box.

What would be ideal is if Poulin can get healthy and start lighting up the AHL. There's your 3C, slide Eller to 4C and punt Carter to nacho land.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Why not send Ruhwedel down or trade Joseph, run with 7 D and bring up White for bow but Poulin after some seasoning in WBS...

Guentzel Crosby Rakell
Smith Malkin Rust
O'Connor Eller Acciari
Nieto White/Poulin Zohorna

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why not send Ruhwedel down or trade Joseph, run with 7 D and bring up White for bow but Poulin after some seasoning in WBS...

Guentzel Crosby Rakell
Smith Malkin Rust
O'Connor Eller Acciari
Nieto White/Poulin Zohorna

I think the best they can probably create right now is:

Poulin-Eller-Acciari
O'Connor-Zohorna-Nieto

But even that is pretty underwhelming. If they could somehow pull off a legit middle-6 winger for POJ, you can play that guy with Eller and Acciari on the 3rd line and have a sufficiently strong 3rd line. It sucks they couldn't pull off Tatar because Tatar-Eller-Acciari probably would have bene good.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Guentzel - Crosby - Puustinen
Zohorna - Malkin - Smith
Rust - Eller - Rakell
O'Connor - Acciari - Nieto

Please just try new things.
Please.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Wish you could trade for assistant coaches or head coaches.

I would empty the treasure chest to pry Jeff Halpern away from Tampa Bay. The work he's done with their stars on the power play year in and year out is exceptional.

Reactions: Andy99

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Puustinen who is a -6 in WB/S

Wonderful "logic" there, Einstein:

1 . Because 4 games is totally sufficient to judge a player,

2. Based on one flawed stat (as if +/- tells you everything about a player's defense),

3. While failing to account for the fact that three of those minuses came with the WBS goalie pulled.

Puustinen hasn't been fabulous so far this season, but "duh, he's a -6" isn't quite the indictment you think it is.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Wonderful "logic" there, Einstein:

1 . Because 4 games is totally sufficient to judge a player,

2. Based on one flawed stat (as if +/- tells you everything about a player's defense),

3. While failing to account for the fact that three of those minuses came with the WBS goalie pulled.

Puustinen hasn't been fabulous so far this season, but "duh, he's a -6" isn't quite the indictment you think it is.
UMMMM Nobody else is worse than-1 Genius

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Except Rem Pitlick (-2), Joona Koppanen (-2), Ty Smith (-2), Alexander Nylander (-3) and Avery Hayes (-2).

But please, do continue to educate us with your inaccurate "facts".
& none of them are NHLers Either but do keep trying & Puustinen is DOUBLE Nylander who was a Healthy scratch

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
The pens are at their best when they have 3 lines that can score. The HBK line was awesome then you had Matt Cullen driving the play on the 4th in the cup runs. I think it's time to spread out the fire power and change up the top 6.

O'Connor-Crosby-Rakell
Smith-Malkin-Rust
Guetzel-Eller-Zahorna

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Wish you could trade for assistant coaches or head coaches.

I would empty the treasure chest to pry Jeff Halpern away from Tampa Bay. The work he's done with their stars on the power play year in and year out is exceptional.
Speaking of Tampa, this quote from Emily Kaplan’s story in ESPN today tells you all you need to know about why Sullivan should be canned:

“The Tampa Bay Lightning's emphasis this offseason was on improving defensively. GM Julien BriseBois told me that when they were winning Stanley Cups, they were a top-six or top-eight defensive team. He felt they lost their way last season and gave up too many scoring chances. So the Tampa Bay coaching staff, led by coach Jon Cooper, made an adjustment to the system.”

The reality is the Pens are old and just not as offensively talented as they used to be and their surrounding wingers cant get to the front of the net except on a rush chance…we need to play as a counterpunching team and stopping aggressively pinching as much…

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Speaking of Tampa, this quote from Emily Kaplan’s story in ESPN today tells you all you need to know about why Sullivan should be canned:

“The Tampa Bay Lightning's emphasis this offseason was on improving defensively. GM Julien BriseBois told me that when they were winning Stanley Cups, they were a top-six or top-eight defensive team. He felt they lost their way last season and gave up too many scoring chances. So the Tampa Bay coaching staff, led by coach Jon Cooper, made an adjustment to the system.”

The reality is the Pens are old and just not as offensively talented as they used to be and their surrounding wingers cant get to the front of the net except on a rush chance…we need to play as a counterpunching team and stopping aggressively pinching as much…

Man, I wonder which one of Cooper’s assistant coaches came up with that idea. Wish we could get some of those assistant coaches.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Not calling up a supposed offensive player due to his AHL +\- is such an archaic and Sully thing to do.

I thought going into the season that we were a key injury away from being a lottery team but maybe I was too optimistic at that.

SJ has to be giddy. It’s not like if we suck and take our pick back this year that next year will magically be any better.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

One possibility would be switching to a zone defense, which is becoming more popular.

Responsible centers are required for zone defense to work. Jack Eichel, William Karlsson, Chandler Stephenson and Nicolas Roy executed Golden Knights coach Bruce Cassidy’s system well. Positional awareness, anticipation, strong sticks and willingness to stop on pucks are non-negotiable skills.

“I find I get to read the play a little bit more,” said Nashville center Ryan O’Reilly, who has played man-to-man in previous stops. “I can use more anticipation on where the puck’s going and where I can pressure instead of a lot of times, it’s just, ‘Oh, where’s my guy?’ You’re not thinking too much. So it gives you more freedom to just play hockey and make reads.”

It doesn’t mean teams don’t have adjustment periods or are guaranteed to see immediate success with it. The easy joke is that the Oilers may be rethinking their scheme switch after allowing 27 goals in seven games to start the season, though there are other factors at play. The Flames also still have holes in their coverage, particularly near the net and in the slot. The Blues’ changes have shored up their defense but may be coming at the expense of offense. None of those three looks like the champion Lightning or Golden Knights right now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad