Speculation: Penguins off day talk thread: Yes, Sully is still the coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Which is still prone to breakdowns and missed assignments in the slot and near the net. The zone coverage that is discussed in the article, particularly in use by Vegas, focuses on the center of the ice rather than an overload.

We've utilized a box + 1 zone defense along with the overload throughout Sullivan's time here.

1698248676163.png

We were running this in the Rangers series.

The difference is our defensemen have been undersized and weak in front of the net for years and Vegas has the best D in the league.

I'd almost argue in some ways that we'd be better at man to man because we don't have the speed or commitment to play the overload or box + 1.

Torts and his system which Sullivan is a acolyte of has always utilized a zone defense.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Speaking of Tampa, this quote from Emily Kaplan’s story in ESPN today tells you all you need to know about why Sullivan should be canned:

“The Tampa Bay Lightning's emphasis this offseason was on improving defensively. GM Julien BriseBois told me that when they were winning Stanley Cups, they were a top-six or top-eight defensive team. He felt they lost their way last season and gave up too many scoring chances. So the Tampa Bay coaching staff, led by coach Jon Cooper, made an adjustment to the system.”

The reality is the Pens are old and just not as offensively talented as they used to be and their surrounding wingers cant get to the front of the net except on a rush chance…we need to play as a counterpunching team and stopping aggressively pinching as much…
Cooper's team won back to back Cups and went to the finals a third time in a row just two seasons ago. They have one rough season and he's all about making adjustments.

Meanwhile, Sullivan has been "sticking to the process" since 2018's loss to the Caps and doesn't bother to try anything new.

As I said, anyone who keeps defending Sullivan is out to lunch at this point. The guy's living off a 2 year stretch and has ranged from average to below average since.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I think I’ve seen enough. The problems are the exact same despite having a radically different team, nothing was learned. I maintain that Reirden and Velucci are doing worse at their job than Sully but it probably doesn’t matter. I’m sure if he gets fired Edmonton will hire him immediately and find some success, but whatever.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

On point but no mention of the coach lol

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I like how Sullivan talks disparagingly about throwing lines in a blender when that’s literally what he did all throughout 2017 and they won the Cup and had over 50 wins without Letang for most of the year.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
We have 8 players without a single point on the season. Three of those are forwards.

We have three forwards with one point on the season

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Mike Sullivan said Alex Nedeljkovic sustained a lower-body injury in last night’s game.

That’s why he left practice early. He tried to practice today but couldn’t.

I asked Sullivan if Nedeljkovic will be able to dress tomorrow vs. the Avalanche and he said he didn’t know yet.

The Penguins don’t have space for a recall so unless there are any corresponding moves, that could mean EBUG Mike Chiasson backs up.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I wonder if another beat-down tomorrow from Colorado will change any of these guys outlook on how this team is going to end up this season. Going 2-5 (with a capitals win in either of their next two games (game in hand)) puts penguins in dead last place in the east.
:eek:
At this rate ticket sales are going to take a plunge.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens can't continue this nonsense where half the arena is empty by the middle of the third period. Just stupid to continue this soft play in year 6. Dubas brough in the grit he could but this is not working. Sid has to pick it up but has no real help with a soft jake and Rust who lacks the physical presence Sid needs. Move Jake with 1 million retention to Florida for Sam Bennett and a second. Carter to the press box. Bring up White for RH center for 4th line. Move POJ to ST Louis for R Bertuzzo and send one of the LD down. Give Nieto a couple games to see what is what.
Bennett Sid Rakell
Smith Geno Rust
DOC Eller Accairi
Nieto White Nylander

Graves Letang
Petts Karlsson
Ludvig Bertuzzo
Ruhwedel Shea

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Pens can't continue this nonsense where half the arena is empty by the middle of the third period. Just stupid to continue this soft play in year 6. Dubas brough in the grit he could but this is not working. Sid has to pick it up but has no real help with a soft jake and Rust who lacks the physical presence Sid needs. Move Jake with 1 million retention to Florida for Sam Bennett and a second. Carter to the press box. Bring up White for RH center for 4th line. Move POJ to ST Louis for R Bertuzzo and send one of the LD down. Give Nieto a couple games to see what is what.
Bennett Sid Rakell
Smith Geno Rust
DOC Eller Accairi
Nieto White Nylander

Graves Letang
Petts Karlsson
Ludvig Bertuzzo
Ruhwedel Shea
St. Louis has significant money invested in the left side of the defense, plus it has its own 23-year-old in Tyler Tucker. It has no need for POJ.

Florida doesn't need Guentzel and Bennett's versatility is of more value to them.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Carter needs to be dealt with a serious talk from headquarters as buddy you have nothing left in your game. We want you to retire, or the Pens are just screwing around this year for high draft pick.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I looked ahead to next week's schedule and am I missing something? We play Monday the 30th then don't play again until SATURDAY??? I get there is a cross-country flight involved, but Wtf is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad