Speculation: Penguins off day talk thread: Yes, Sully is still the coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I certainly wouldn't waive Nieto 5 games into the season. Pretty silly if you ask me, even if you are trying to make a point.

He's been serviceable throughout his career on much worse teams.

I'm really not sure what people expected with this bottom 6. The top 6 with EK is going to have to carry this team and it's a big task. Some nights they are going to look great. Others your gonna have people saying that they hate the team and are never going to watch them again

Craig Smith, Jesper Boqvist, and Mike Reilly all had good careers too.

Good teams hold players accountable for who they are not who they were.

As we have seen for years now under Sullivan a lack of accountability results in a lack of commitment to fully executing the system.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I honestly just want us to stop basing our entire bottom six on PKing and defensive prowess because it ain’t helping anything.

If that involves Sid playing 30-50 seconds a night on the PK that’s fine. Letang does it?

Every other team does it. No one is expecting Sid to be on the top PK unit and average 2+ minutes per game on the PK, but him being on the second unit or him getting more mop up seconds so that we don't have to fill our bottom six with "shit players at ES but they can PK!" players is ridiculous.

The fact that Sullivan prioritizes whether a player can PK over everything else with regards to call-ups/signings/additions to the bottom six is killing this team.

Reactions: Andy99

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
He's playing Ryan Shea and Zohorna!

DOMINIK SIMON!!!!

ZACH ASTON REESE

JOHN MARINO...

I know y'all remember Kevin Potter. He was the original Ruhwedel under Sully. Potter had to be sidelined with injury for us to get him off the roster.

Edit: Nvm just saw you mention him

Dubas and ownership clearly like him and probably view his dismissal as the nuclear option (short of trading Crosby and blowing it all up).

The fact that these are "comparable" is asinine

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Craig Smith, Jesper Boqvist, and Mike Reilly all had good careers too.

Good teams hold players accountable for who they are not who they were.

As we have seen for years now under Sullivan a lack of accountability results in a lack of commitment to fully executing the system.

It's 5 games I wouldn't signal out Nieto specifically. The whole bottom 6 collectively has to make something happen.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Some interesting numbers for the Penguins in some of the puck and player tracking data that was recently published.

My favorite: "Forwards this season have had an average of six bursts of speed that were over 20 miles per hour, and Carter has had eight, in the 75th percentile"

Team: View attachment 756682

The spirit of Konstantin Koltsov lives in the current iteration of the Pens.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I know the thread title and all, but.... I still have hope... and can ask....

Is Sullivan still the coach? :eek:

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I know y'all remember Kevin Potter. He was the original Ruhwedel under Sully. Potter had to be sidelined with injury for us to get him off the roster.

Edit: Nvm just saw you mention him

The fact that these are "comparable" is asinine
Kevin Porter even

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021

No way. I mean the guy is so below average claiming was meh but to keep him up over others made no sense and most of us knew it.

Now just need to waive a D-man and get A 13th F up and rotate the bottom 3 or at very least get Carter in the press box.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You guys remember Garret Wilson? Sullivan always need to have a useless player or two in the lineup
This is just NHL coach behavior. There are a billion things to criticize Sullivan for, but typical shit like getting attached to a nobody or a preference for low event dorks is a universal issue. Especially for coaches who have been around for a while.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
This is just NHL coach behavior. There are a billion things to criticize Sullivan for, but typical shit like getting attached to a nobody or a preference for low event dorks is a universal issue. Especially for coaches who have been around for a while.

They all come in hot with accountability and then become besties with everyone involved in the first success and forget to keep holding the veteran people accountable. Seems to just be human nature in the NHL.

If memory serves, accountability was maybe only second behind speed in words uttered by Sully in his first season here. Even he couldn't resist the call from the boys club.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They all come in hot with accountability and then become besties with everyone involved in the first success and forget to keep holding the veteran people accountable. Seems to just be human nature in the NHL.

If memory serves, accountability was maybe only second behind speed in words uttered by Sully in his first season here. Even he couldn't resist the call from the boys club.
Yep. Recycle coaches on the reg, imo.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
OK, I would have fired Sullyvan after that Montreal series, in a heartbeat...never underestimate one's ego...I thought he will finally help himself...
Yes!

That is the series where I wanted the same. That's the season where I think he really started to unravel with the notion he really can't evolve his style with this team anymore because he's so biased to the core group.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

It didn't take him long to get to that boys club mentality either. His third season, the biases were so glaring from that point on.

Reactions: cygnus47

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It rules that our coach can’t improve a player’s game.
Worse, it seems like lately players have actually seen drops in their level of play under him. They'll come in looking good, but then once he's got his hands on them for a full season or so, they lose that spark they first had.

When is the last time someone actually blossomed under Sullivan? Even the "fringe" guys we pick up like Acciari and Nieto, guys who should be in his wheel house, looked better prior to signing with the Pens.

Reactions: Gurglesons

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Worse, it seems like lately players have actually seen drops in their level of play under him. They'll come in looking good, but then once he's got his hands on them for a full season or so, they lose that spark they first had.

When is the last time someone actually blossomed under Sullivan? Even the "fringe" guys we pick up like Acciari and Nieto, guys who should be in his wheel house, looked better prior to signing with the Pens.
Yeah, I mentioned this last year and didn't get much of a response then. It's one thing to have a style, but guys come here and have down years pretty consistently. I can't remember the last trade or UFA guy to come in and have a notable career year?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

John Marino?! Dom Simon!!! Zach Aston Reese…!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad