Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
If Bruno does land a head coaching job, it would be interesting to see the outcome with his own tactics, assistants, etc. Tough to get a clear picture of his season with all things considered.

I do think it’d be ballsy for a team to hire him due to actual head coaching inexperience.

-ghoste

But that is something i dont get, where was his own Tactics as HC. I mean in all the Years of been an Assistant Coach he doesnt create something. Why not practice something, in the last Games before the Season ends.

So i dont see it his Ability of been a HeadCoach. Not from what he shown, i think he might has to start again lower as AHL-HeadCoach. To get expierence and a System he can work on.

He is not like our other former HC, Gallant had a own System and is a Character Guy. Even Boughner had a crazy System also a kind of Charachter.
Q was expierence, Character, a System, development.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Because Maurice is a meh appointment. It's really not that amazing.

Prediction: Next season Maurice won't get us out of the first round. And his win ratio will be worse than Brunettes.

edit. I was okay with replacing Brunette, but this hire of Maurice does nothing for me.
I mean saying Florida will be worse next year under Maurice is a bit unfair considering the team is going to be worse on paper, re: playoffs I don't know, it depends where Florida finishes, if they win the Atlantic they'll have another easy first round matchup.

I don't even really disagree that it's meh, but going from probably the 30th or 31st coach I'd rather have in the league to 15th is fine, with no Trotz I don't know what people wanted, Deboer again? I don't want to see Knight get stabbed through the back lol

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
I mean the team really overachieved in the regular season so I don't care if they do worse in the regular season as long as there's a semblance of PMs showing he can adapt as needed.

The main thing is playoff success. Finishing 1st 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic really doesn't matter.

Reactions: Gizmo Tkachuk

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I mean the team really overachieved in the regular season so I don't care if they do worse in the regular season as long as there's a semblance of PMs showing he can adapt as needed.

The main thing is playoff success. Finishing 1st 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic really doesn't matter.
This (bolded) is just flat-out wrong. Finishing first this year got us the Caps, and our first series win in 20+ years.

Finishing 2/3 was a near-guarantee first-round exit against Toronto or Tampa.

Colorado sleepwalked to the Cup finals and they were absolutely better off for it. They were far less banged up than Tampa, as they had fewer games that were against easier opponents.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
This (bolded) is just flat-out wrong. Finishing first this year got us the Caps, and our first series win in 20+ years.

Colorado sleepwalked to the Cup finals and they were absolutely better off for it. They were far less banged up than Tampa, as they had fewer games that were against easier opponents.
I would agree 1st or 2nd matter because of home ice but does the round really matter? IMO Florida has one of those top 2 spots on lock (Tampa doesn't care about the regular season and the rest of the Atlantic is in shambles), does it matter if Florida beats the corpse of the Pens or Caps in the first round before taking on Tampa or just faces Tampa outright round one?

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I would agree 1st or 2nd matter because of home ice but does the round really matter? IMO Florida has one of those top 2 spots on lock (Tampa doesn't care about the regular season and the rest of the Atlantic is in shambles), does it matter if Florida beats the corpse of the Pens or Caps in the first round before taking on Tampa or just faces Tampa outright round one?
Ticket sales, food sales, new fans, reach.

Making the cup is obviously the goal and we shouldn't settle, I get that. I've been a fan since 99. I hear everyone.

But making the second round is a big step for us and it is important.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008

Meant moving forward. Obviously this year it was good to get that monkey off the franchises back.
But, next year if they finish 2nd or 3rd, it's to be determined on how bad that is when it comes to matchups.
In my opinion this team is a playoff team for the next 2-3 years, not accounting serious rash of injuries.

I give Bruno credit for keeping the team hot in the regular season and not messing with a good thing. And to be determined on how the team does with Maurice in the regular and postseason.
But for me, I wouldn't consider a worse regular season finish a bad thing moving forward, unless it's clear as day the team is a trainwreck barely getting by into the wildcard. We can't expect a 1st place finish and Presidents cup every year as the standard. And if they have to face a "harder" opponent in round 1 so be it. The streak of not making the 2nd round is over.

I really dislike this playoff format. The Blues vs Wild and the Lightning vs Leafs are battles that should of been later under the older format. Colorado did have an easier schedule but they were also a loaded team.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Meant moving forward. Obviously this year it was good to get that monkey off the franchises back.
But, next year if they finish 2nd or 3rd, it's to be determined on how bad that is when it comes to matchups.
In my opinion this team is a playoff team for the next 2-3 years, not accounting serious rash of injuries.

I give Bruno credit for keeping the team hot in the regular season and not messing with a good thing. And to be determined on how the team does with Maurice in the regular and postseason.
But for me, I wouldn't consider a worse regular season finish a bad thing moving forward, unless it's clear as day the team is a trainwreck barely getting by into the wildcard. We can't expect a 1st place finish and Presidents cup every year as the standard. And if they have to face a "harder" opponent in round 1 so be it. The streak of not making the 2nd round is over.

I really dislike this playoff format. The Blues vs Wild and the Lightning vs Leafs are battles that should of been later under the older format. Colorado did have an easier schedule but they were also a loaded team.
Me too. It feels extremely punishing for teams that do well, but don't finish first. But good teams can exploit it round 1, and we should aim to do it.

Reactions: ShootIt

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I wish they did the last 4 teams in points order instead of the conference finals. I’m sure not a popular idea, but I would like to sometimes see an East-East or a West-West SCF. It probably wouldn’t happen more than once every 4-6 years anyway. It would be a bold departure from the mundane.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The unfortunate reality too is that with the current playoff format, unless somehow we get matched up in the other division or tampa somehow does, we’ll have to face tampa either in round 1 or 2. There’s no escaping it. Again, unless one of us gets the wildcard spot that gets thrown into the other division. I hate to be a pessimist but we’re never getting through tampa. Our best chance is one of us gets put into the other division and we pray they lose in one of the first two rounds. They have vasilevskiy, kucherov, point, and mcdonagh locked up long term and hedman still for another 3yrs. Unless there’s some sizeable changes to our group, we’re never getting past that. Assuming most of their guys are healthy

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The unfortunate reality too is that with the current playoff format, unless somehow we get matched up in the other division or tampa somehow does, we’ll have to face tampa either in round 1 or 2. There’s no escaping it. Again, unless one of us gets the wildcard spot that gets thrown into the other division. I hate to be a pessimist but we’re never getting through tampa. Our best chance is one of us gets put into the other division and we pray they lose in one of the first two rounds. They have vasilevskiy, kucherov, point, and mcdonagh locked up long term and hedman still for another 3yrs. Unless there’s some sizeable changes to our group, we’re never getting past that. Assuming most of their guys are healthy

I'd say that's too pessimistic. Tampa has a lot of mileage on them now, and we don't really know how our team will look in say 2 years. We almost beat them a year ago with a much less experienced group. The playoffs are funny.

Reactions: RogerRoger

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
There are almost always a couple surprises but you can pretty much guarantee who the top 3 teams will be. Toronto or Florida will finish 1st and 2nd (depends on the order) Tampa almost certainly 3rd, and then the question is can Boston overcome what will be a bad 1st half of the season with half their team out or does a team like Buffalo make a jump to snag a WC spot or 5 metro teams. Regardless, assuming an extremely likely scenario where Tampa is 3rd and Florida/Toronto are 1st and 2nd, Florida would either face the Lightning round 1 (if the Panthers finish 2nd) or round 2 (if Florida wins the division, because let's face it the Leafs aren't winning round 1).

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I'd say that's too pessimistic. Tampa has a lot of mileage on them now, and we don't really know how our team will look in say 2 years. We almost beat them a year ago with a much less experienced group. The playoffs are funny.
I hope you’re right, it’s just daunting knowing those guys are locked in longterm and vasilevskiy, kucherov, and point are all still in their 20s. This playoffs broke me and I don’t see them tailing off anytime soon. Hopefully they start losing pieces of their D. Hopefully rutta this offseason and then one of cernak or sergachev the following offseason. That D combined with vasilevskiy is unbearable

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I hope you’re right, it’s just daunting knowing those guys are locked in longterm and vasilevskiy, kucherov, and point are all still in their 20s. This playoffs broke me and I don’t see them tailing off anytime soon. Hopefully they start losing pieces of their D. Hopefully rutta this offseason and then one of cernak or sergachev the following offseason. That D combined with vasilevskiy is unbearable
My guess is we see Tampa tail off a bit for a couple years as their bodies recuperate and teams adjust to them, but they'll still be a solid team and then after a couple years be contenders again. Teams tend to compete in waves, need to recover both physically and mentally.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Just watched Unrivaled

Can we hire Crawford onto the organization? lmao. I actually thought about him replacing Q back in December. But this shit is badass.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Its Side 14 now and i would say, Season not even started yet. No one knows how the Roster looks in the End, no matter what, not much moveing around to await.

But for the Coach counts for me the same as for Brunette. He has time to prove. So far i know Season starts in October and till then he can work on a System and he can talk with the Player and the Office to work something out.

And then let him work, new Coach, new Chance and an expierence as most wanted after the Playoff preformance or no improvment or no movements to work something out.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Don't forget, they'll probably lose Palat this summer too. Remember the Blackhawks? No team stays intact forever.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Jets fans who complained about Maurice when Tocchet is announced as head coach:

1WJT.gif

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Just watched Unrivaled

Can we hire Crawford onto the organization? lmao. I actually thought about him replacing Q back in December. But this shit is badass.
Just watched it. Awesome!

On the part that related to us in the ‘96 Finals, I liked when Roy was talking about not hiding in the net when the rats would rain down and he’d just let them hit him in the head. And he said, “Don’t like the rats, then stop the puck.” Then goes on to not let us score another goal. Lol

-ghoste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad