Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
All these Jets fans coming here remind of of all the Habs fans coming to sing praises when Florida got Chiarot. Fans viewpoints are shifted. Maurice way overstayed his welcome, if Florida hired him in 2018 Jets fans would be saying what a steal. Brunette stunk and it's 3 years, it's low risk.
No Jets fan with an understanding of analytics would think Chiarot was any good when the Jets had him. Most of us were glad he was gone. Buff in Winnipeg and Weber in Montreal basically dragged him around the ice.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
One thing about our locker room is that it appears (from the outside) that everyone is tight and wants to be a team. So this is a fresh start for Maurice and hopefully he can coach without worrying about petty drama for once.

Any teamwork atmosphere is constantly evolving and thus it remains to be seen whether they can keep up the upward momentum created by guys turning their careers around and posting career high point totals into a more balanced team in the next season. I think Maurice highlighted their main deficiencies in regards to the playoffs so the mgm/coaching staff has some of the evident problems covered but the big issue imo is whether the players are motivated and capable of changing their habits and adopt different responsibilities.

If there are players who think that they are above certain assignments or entitled to something then that'll create some lockerroom drama. I don't think that the HC alone can help a player to change their thinking and abilities so he can only assist a given player to a certain extent.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Been reading a lot of background on Winnipeg's locker room struggles. It seems like there was a huge divide with team Schieffle-Wheeler and everyone else. Like catty behind-your-back talking, fist fights in practice, bullying and paranoia about younger guys stealing veterans' roles. A couple of players (Eakins and Hayes) quoted as saying it was the worst locker room theyve ever been a part of.

Not sure where the line is drawn between responsibility of Maurice as coach vs the players vs the GM for not ridding themselves of certain toxic players, but it seems like it was outlier bad. One thing about our locker room is that it appears (from the outside) that everyone is tight and wants to be a team. So this is a fresh start for Maurice and hopefully he can coach without worrying about petty drama for once.

Edit: one other thing I'll note is that there were great quotes from players about their support for Maurice on a yearly basis from a multitude of players. Stastny, Wheeler, Schieffle, Ehlers, etc all had really good things to say about him, even in those bad years.

Yup, like I said on the mains thread, Winnipeg is just unique, a real bad mix of players, and Chevy gets too much of a pass for the failures in Winnipeg. If the locker room issues were so well known, how about trading one or two of those bad apples away? Nothing was done. Our room is tight, the vets are total team first guys who care about the younger guys, and a lot of people step up and lead. Maurice won't have the problems here that he had in Winnipeg.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

I heard a few days ago that Trotz was feeling burn out

Now it's proven to be true. Thats why he is not here.

Hopefully that puts the complaints about Trotz to rest.

Cassidy was scooped up immediately. We got the 2nd best available coach.

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Thats why he is not here.

trump-donald-trump.gif

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

This officially curbs all "should have hired Trotz" discussion.

It kind of sounds similar to those interviews with Maurice and him stepping down from the Jets HC-gig…

Really sounds like those coaches are burning out… It’s crazy.

Started to think about it, and after watching the introduction presser, and maybe Maurice was fed up with having half-made team and building culture from ground-zero like he did in Carolina first or in Winnipeg after…

And maybe he really only wanted a job like the Panthers or another one of those great teams and contenders-ready so he can get his career on track and proves everyone he is a good coach. Maybe he really has the fire back, a chip on his shoulder and wants to improve and everything…

Still not impressed with it, but I’m nearly rooting for that guy after all the losing and bad teams he had to coach during his career. Some of the rosters he had to endure were REALLY bad.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Anyone know if Maurice has kept the same assistant coaches for long stretches?
Not sure what site would have that info?
Looks like he had Charlie Huddy and Jamie Kompon as assistants for most of his time in Winnipeg (dont know a thing about either one).

And with Carolina... he spent a lot of years with *cough* Tom Rowe on his bench. Yikes.

• Wow
Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Looks like he had Charlie Huddy and Jamie Kompon as assistants for most of his time in Winnipeg (dont know a thing about either one).

And with Carolina... he spent a lot of years with *cough* Tom Rowe on his bench. Yikes.
....that can't be good...
Still of the mind it's on the players to play up to their potential. There's different strategies and schemes that can be learned but it's the intangibles of the players and will to outwork others.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Still of the mind it's on the players to play up to their potential. There's different strategies and schemes that can be learned but it's the intangibles of the players and will to outwork others.
Agree. After all, they're the ones on the ice. Also, for all of this talk about how the room was toxic in WPG - why is that fully on Maurice? Sure, he has some responsibility, but the players have responsibility, and then so does Maurice's management. Who knows what actually was going on and why. As is always the case, there are probably multiple reasons for why things went sideways, but we try to simplify it, and the truth is that it's never as simple as assigning blame on a message board with zero information about what actually was happening.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Great interview.

I like how he says, ‘I want them to embrace the grind, to enjoy the grind over the regular season so when playoffs start it isn’t new’.

And when his wife said, ‘Paul, I haven’t seen you this fired up in a long time’, that tells you how much he’s looking forward to it.

Will it be the right thing? We’re gonna find out.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Agree. After all, they're the ones on the ice. Also, for all of this talk about how the room was toxic in WPG - why is that fully on Maurice? Sure, he has some responsibility, but the players have responsibility, and then so does Maurice's management. Who knows what actually was going on and why. As is always the case, there are probably multiple reasons for why things went sideways, but we try to simplify it, and the truth is that it's never as simple as assigning blame on a message board with zero information about what actually was happening.
And FLAs room seems tight. They hang out in real life and haven't had much if any drama outside the strip club conspiracy.

Reactions: Egblad

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Great interview.

I like how he says, ‘I want them to embrace the grind, to enjoy the grind over the regular season so when playoffs start it isn’t new’.

And when his wife said, ‘Paul, I haven’t seen you this fired up in a long time’, that tells you how much he’s looking forward to it.

Will it be the right thing? We’re gonna find out.

loved it too.

it seems that lou and zito called him and wanted him. maurice gave away a little there. he said he was fine out of coaching because he was OK not having to do that grind every day. it's a lot of work coaching at that level. but zito and lou got him fired up enough to commit to that grind again.

he said all the right things. as a leader, he's got a great demeanor, great perspective and confidence. i think he's a solid choice.

and it makes a lot of sense for zito. i'm not saying this to slight bruno in the least - i do not believe that he was outclassed or "only using Qs systems" at all and think he is in fact a smart coach and deserves/will get another shot - but you don't want to send a message that winning one series is OK. i *think* they're gonna come back with a bit more will having experienced a difficult playoff series or two but they could easily fail to find that next gear next year. some teams take a while and some teams never make it. you want to *ensure* the boys come back with a little extra snarl in september. one way is to make a change at HC.

coming at it from another angle, while i think keeping bruno as interim made the most sense - bringing in another vet mid-season would mean compromising on your candidate pool and appearing to show some panic to your players - you'd need to have a really good argument for giving him the job failing a strong playoff run. especially with the candidates that were out there.

furthermore, picking a HC is really a singular opportunity for putting your stamp on a team and passing that up would have to be tough.

i like this move. particularly going outside the box a little (even flirting with the finn). i like it even a little bit more because maurice HASN'T won a cup. he's going to be as hungry as the players. it could really be a special opportunity.

still, it's not a guarantee of anything better nor would that better outcome be an indictment of bruno.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
According to GR Bruno was allowed to talk to other teams while the Panthers did their coaching search so nobody else wanted him either.

The Panthers are believed to be giving Brunette the opportunity to return if he so chooses. Brunette has also been free to speak with other teams regarding their coaching vacancies.

the fact that bruno was able to talk to other teams probably made a lot of them think "hmm, they know him better than anybody right now, they have
all the exit interviews and they are passing."

that said, i'm not sure the right opportunity is out there right now. i think he'd be a good candidate for a good young team - a bit younger than ours - but not necessarily a rebuild.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Intangibles can lead you only to what determined by your talent and your strategy. The talent is there, but will the strategy be right?

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Intangibles can lead you only to what determined by your talent and your strategy. The talent is there, but will the strategy be right?

I like that Maurice talked about the rush offenses being smothered come playoff time so he will have to address that and limit the defensive lapses.
The stretch passes may go down and see more organized entries through NZ/OZ.

Special teams may not be his duty. We've needed a good PK for years. Have we had a top 10 PK in last decade?

EDIT- went and checked.

2018-19 we were 10th and 2016-17 we were 2nd.

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
It kind of sounds similar to those interviews with Maurice and him stepping down from the Jets HC-gig…

Really sounds like those coaches are burning out… It’s crazy.

I dont think it´s crazy, it´s more all the people getting crazy.
In soccer, Basketball, Hockey or near any Sport, befor your superstar Player or any other Popular Player leaving the Team. The first who gets the Blame are the Coaches and in Hockey, the last Years its getting really strange. A lot of Coaching changes around the League and someone post it before.

If a Coach staying more then 4 Years with a Team or Franchise that is a long Periode. The Hire&Fire System in Sports also show the Pressure and the awaiting for near any Franchise. But when you look like in all the Divsion, some was more tight some was done already in January, But with rebuildings and surprises it also can be really tight.

But for Brunette, the Situation in the PO, let them have no Option then search around the League. Because PO preformance was awful. And how we showed up in the PO you cant win a Cup. For that Situation you would have Scouts, other Coaches and a whole Season to find a surprise Set up.

And if you can get it together you get fired, no matter how bad the Players was on the Ice. No matter that they all speak about, winning or getting the Cup for 5 Years and dissapear in the PO.
Coach today isnt a nice Job as it was like Years before in Sports. I mean 30 years ago, also 20 years in the Past, Franchises stand behind a Coach and back them up. Today forget about it.

And Maurice will also get his Years and chances. He has the expierence, i hope he knows clear where the problem was or is. I hope he have enough Ideas, so he can handle Situation where he runs into the Wall. And i hope he can keep the attitude alive, we never give up, there is always a chance.

Reactions: KW

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seriously they need to have such a voice. Gotta be held accountable
Reading all this hearsay garbage only makes me more glad we hired him. If he is honest and willing to put in the work to get there, that’s all I care about. Let’s go win a cup with Zito and Maurice. WTF not.

Winnipeg probably has the most toxic locker room in the league and they were terrible defensively.

That’s a voice Florida needs?

Who doesn’t want!

Edit, getting in won’t be an issue for Florida because of their depth but Florida shouldn’t care about regular season, it’s about what they do in the playoffs and after watching him years in Winnipeg this just scream a massive failure.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad