Confirmed with Link: Paul Maurice signs 3 year deal to be head coach of the Florida Panthers (update 3/3/2023 given vote of confidence by Bill Zito)

Would you have preferred Brunette return over hiring Maurice?

• yes, give him the chance to grow

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • no, Florida doesn't have time to see him through the growing pains

Votes: 67 66.3%

• Total voters

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I don’t have any worries about our locker room, that seems as tight as any.

As for Maurice’s coaching, it’s all hope just like it’d be with any other name that would have came in. Hoping he can be the one to take the next step. That hope would be there even if we kept Bruno. PM certainly says the right things, now he has to put it in action. Hopefully it’s just that things got way too stale in Winnipeg and a fresh start here will do wonders for him.

-ghoste

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
IMO, I feel that when PM stepped down as coach of the Jets, after a bit, he was able to reassess his tenure with the team. Having the time to listen and read about other teams/coaches hopefully opened his eyes and gave him a new perspective on his coaching style. He may not have realized how allegedly toxic the Jets locker room had become because he was too close to it after 9 years.

He's coming to FLA with a new vision and enthusiasm for the game.

At least that's my hope!

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
As with anybody, I give them a chance. Some I'm more optimistic about than others at the start. I like this hire. I think they had to do it. They had to hire an experienced coach. Wished they would have done it when Q left, but that's water under the bridge.
But, with all of that, can still never know until they actually play the games. But at least I'm excited for next season now.
Watching Tampa Bay this season andbtheir Playoffs I learnt alot from the coaching perspective, I was enviois at their hame management skills, very conservative when they have to, aggresive when the opprtunity was there for their take, slow down the game when need it, distribuition of passes during the game, patien5, lots of it, etc, these are all coaching skills that we need.
I dont know Maurice style, so I have no opinion about the hire, but Tampa showed me that Brunette was not ready yet. He got outplayed by experience, Cooper is a great tactician, sure, many of our guys underperformed but there is a game within the game that needs to be executed game in and game out.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
As with anybody, I give them a chance. Some I'm more optimistic about than others at the start. I like this hire. I think they had to do it. They had to hire an experienced coach. Wished they would have done it when Q left, but that's water under the bridge.
But, with all of that, can still never know until they actually play the games. But at least I'm excited for next season now.
Watching Tampa Bay this season and their Playoffs I learnt alot from the coaching perspective, I was envious at their game management skills, very conservative when they have to, aggresive when the opportunity was there for their take, slow down the game when need it, distribuition of passes during the game, patience, lots of it, etc, these are all coaching skills that we need.
I dont know Maurice style, so I have no opinion about the hire, but Tampa showed me that Brunette was not ready yet. He got outplayed by experience, Cooper is a great tactician, sure, many of our guys underperformed but there is a game within the game that needs to be executed game in and game out.

Last edited:

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Watching Tampa Bay this season and their Playoffs I learnt alot from the coaching perspective, I was envious at their hame management skills, very conservative when they have to, aggresive when the opportunity was there for their take, slow down the game when need it, distribuition of passes during the game, patience, lots of it, etc, these are all coaching skills that we need.

meh...

what you're describing is what great players with championship experience do.

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Brunette was forced on the team as the head coach and Zito did nothing to hire a new coach (as far as we know) last season. Zito would never have hired Brunette as head coach and we know this because he just hired Maurice. Even though Brunette “coached“ the team to the Presidents Cup.

Why is it that some of you rip on those that agree with this hire, but you people feel that you are the only ones that have the correct answer?
I also dont like how some here rip into other because of difference of opinions. It is an opinion, not a fist fight, also, we have no insight into what is really happening and why this decission was made, I personally, dont know much about Maurice but I know about Brunette and he is not the one. He got beaten badly by a better coach and underperformance of our players.

Last edited:

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Brunette was forced on the team as the head coach and Zito did nothing to hire a new coach (as far as we know) last season. Zito would never have hired Brunette as head coach and we know this because he just hired Maurice. Even though Brunette “coached“ the team to the Presidents Cup.

Why is it that some of you rip on those that agree with this hire, but you people feel that you are the only ones that have the correct answer?
I also dont like how some here rip into other because of difference of opinions. Iy is an opinion, not a fist fight, also, we have no insight intp what is really happening and why this decission was made, I personally, dont know much about Maurice bit I know about Brunette and he is not the one. He got beaten badly by a better coach and underperformance of our players.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
I like that Maurice talked about the rush offenses being smothered come playoff time so he will have to address that and limit the defensive lapses.
The stretch passes may go down and see more organized entries through NZ/OZ.
Except that our best forward in playoffs thrives in rush offence.

And the whole Avs roster too

Maurice shouldn't touch what is working good most of the time. Probably it would be better for him to make it work ALL of the time?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Except that our best forward in playoffs thrives in rush offence.

And the whole Avs roster too

Maurice shouldn't touch what is working good most of the time. Probably it would be better for him to make it work ALL of the time?

No doubt, not saying to abandon it completely because it obviously propelled us through regular season but we need to be able to adapt and switch systems on the fly or have 2 or 3 different attacks ready for when teams do clog NZ and stack at blueline.

What's more concerning is when we get in the OZ and get stiffled as well, need to learn how to develop there and create new plays to break through.

Reactions: BeezKnees

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
No doubt, not saying to abandon it completely because it obviously propelled us through regular season but we need to be able to adapt and switch systems on the fly or have 2 or 3 different attacks ready for when teams do clog NZ and stack at blueline.

What's more concerning is when we get in the OZ and get stiffled as well, need to learn how to develop there and create new plays to break through.
Yep, and this seems to be what Maurice is wanting to address. Not getting rid of the rush, but adding and getting us comfortable with other offensive styles that we can pivot to if the rush is getting stifled.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yep, and this seems to be what Maurice is wanting to address. Not getting rid of the rush, but adding and getting us comfortable with other offensive styles that we can pivot to if the rush is getting stifled.
I've said for years but we miss Jagr for cycling the puck down low with Barky and then work it out for slot shots or defelctions when the defense take a shot from distance.

Smaller details of creating time and space, the weight of passes, cutting out drop/blind passes, screens/garbage goals etc.
And please, let's figure out how to dump and chase as well haha

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The thing with the rush is Colorado has Makar, and he changes the whole dynamic. He can also make spectacular plays in the offensive zone when the Avs do have possession, and sometimes basically will pucks into the net. That won't work for us. We have to get comfortable scoring greasy goals too.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I've said for years but we miss Jagr for cycling the puck down low with Barky and then work it out for slot shots or defelctions when the defense take a shot from distance.

Smaller details of creating time and space, the weight of passes, cutting out drop/blind passes, screens/garbage goals etc.
And please, let's figure out how to dump and chase as well haha
I thought one of our biggest issues was lacking bonafide, grinding wingers. Lots of our wingers are converted centers and guys that don't always go into the corners and do the dirty work. I thought Mamin was one of the few guys that DID do that.

Definitely need at least 1 or 2 more of those guys on this team. The kinda guys that will grind out plays for you. Hornqvist is great at it and still showed glimpses during the playoffs but his age is catching up to him unfortunately.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I thought one of our biggest issues was lacking bonafide, grinding wingers. Lots of our wingers are converted centers and guys that don't always go into the corners and do the dirty work. I thought Mamin was one of the few guys that DID do that.

Definitely need at least 1 or 2 more of those guys on this team. The kinda guys that will grind out plays for you. Hornqvist is great at it and still showed glimpses during the playoffs but his age is catching up to him unfortunately.
When you looked at the way the Avs played, they always forechecked hard, putting pressure on the Dmen but also closing out the options to the forwards. Much more aggressive than us. TB let one forward drop back to help out the Dmen, and we left that guy always open. To me, this is mostly coaching strategy issue. But you are right, we need wingers/forwards that can apply the pressure like that. Guys like Nichushkin, Compher, Lehkonen did a great job at that - besides their superstars of course.

Horny knows how to do it but lacks the necessary footspeed nowadays. But his line with Luostarinen and however was the 3rd guy on the line seemed to be the only line who got the job done in the corners on a regular basis.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Very good point on board battles.

Reactions: ProjectPanthers

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
I'm amazed this poll is even 80-20, I figured the only vote for Brunette would be from Brunette himself. I'm actually not even hating on him, but he should really take the assistant job and keep learning, he's so inexperienced. Be the assistant the next couple years and take over for Maurice or take another HC gig then.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I'm amazed this poll is even 80-20, I figured the only vote for Brunette would be from Brunette himself. I'm actually not even hating on him, but he should really take the assistant job and keep learning, he's so inexperienced. Be the assistant the next couple years and take over for Maurice or take another HC gig then.
I was thinking on the walk to work today: Quenneville showed a lot of brains putting Knight in for Game 5 in 2021. I don't think Bruno would have done that

Reactions: Vilam

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

Because Maurice is a meh appointment. It's really not that amazing.

Prediction: Next season Maurice won't get us out of the first round. And his win ratio will be worse than Brunettes.

edit. I was okay with replacing Brunette, but this hire of Maurice does nothing for me.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
If Bruno does land a head coaching job, it would be interesting to see the outcome with his own tactics, assistants, etc. Tough to get a clear picture of his season with all things considered.

I do think it’d be ballsy for a team to hire him due to actual head coaching inexperience.

-ghoste

Reactions: BabyBennettov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad